TTORA Forum banner

Help me build my tacoma

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Pkmst 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 2001 regular cab Tacoma 2.7 5 speed 4x4, I guess I want to build it more for expedition style not just a rock crawler, I've put on a lear topper with Yakima rack, thinking about a roof basket, installed ham radio and antenna have a cb to install when I figure out where to mount it, put in normal gps and radar detector, 31 10.50 15 tires, not crazy about how the stock front bumper looks, would like to find an aftermarket one that's not to heavy I could mount a winch on without having to beef up the suspension to compensate for bumper weight, trying to decide between sliders and nerf bars . Planning on trailering a atv possibly small pop up camper it has factory hitch attached to frame and step bumper, the atv is loaded forward on the trailer which makes tongue weight heavier, I'm open for your guys experience and suggestions on what I need to upgrade add ons and what's a must to have thanks

#2 ·
I don't know a lot about older gen tacos, however there is a million threads around here on amazing info. search the early gen taco threads, and expedition build up area. remember, body lifts = suck. block lifts < spring lifts / aal.
all pro is always a good choice for armor. arb is also a good one and doesn't expose a lot for the non crawler look.
personally I know about new gen tacos, so I'll post what I know on them. for suspension cheap way is ome / toytech lifts and a good set of bilstein 5100's. not the best out there but for the price its a good thought. for rear bumpers, all pro makes a sexy and strong bumper that is good for protecting u from rear end collisions, check the off topic section for a recent thread on that. for side protection sliders always better than side steps, and even if they r bolt on u cam still hav them welded on. up front there r tons out there but my favs r the two I posted already. warn is good for winches and of course having the possibility of one in the back is always a good idea for solo wheeling lol...
there is just about countless things u can do with ur truck, its all about how much wheeling do u want to do, and r actually going to do, will it b ur dd, and how much money r u willing to spend?
like I said just search, there's a lot around here. and good simple 2" lifts still let u to b capable off road and good for dd. take care and good luck

Posted from Tacomaterritory.com App for Android

#4 ·
if I didn't hav a truck payment still, if my truck wasn't already beat to hell, didn't hav over 100k miles, and was 4x4, I would b upgrading it more than it is too, with bumpers, etc... but it is the way it is... so once paid off I'm gonna repair what it needs and if I can make it like new again then I may upgrade... however it will still never b my 4x4 and I still want to move to Colorado where there's tons of snow... lol
my #1 thing would b a better rear bumper for personal saftey, then front as for saftey again... I know I can take a hit, but I'm worried about my family and my girl if in an accident... that's y I hav that kc bar up front anyways... it may just b a bar, but its a strong Damn bar lol

Posted from Tacomaterritory.com App for Android

#5 ·
I have a 97 4x4 andput an ARB on the front and was very impressed with how light but tuff it is($800). Back bumper I built out of 6x6 steel with 1/2 plate of steel that bolts to the frame and cut out a center piece for the lp and angled the ends to match the angles on the lp cutout. Very cheap and stronger than anything you can buy. Then u can cut off ur receiver and weld it to the bottom.

#6 ·
Most of the after market bumpers seem to be heavier than stock, from what I've read on here you need to do some upgrading to your suspension so the additional weight of the after market bumpers doesn't cause sag especially in the front, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, I would love to bolt on a bumper and not have to do anything else until I'm ready, also noticed on some of the after market websites they state their bumpers are a lot stouter than factory so if you get in let's say a high speed crash it might not be to good, I think factory bumpers and supports are designed to collapse and absorb energy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.