TTORA Forum banner

2000 Tacoma front diff replacement?

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  tarantulaman 
#1 ·
My truck started leaking gear oil at the front diff where the CV axle shafts enter. First drivers side then passenger side. Didnt have any other way to get to work so i had to drive it like this for almost two years. CV joints WERE in good shape but I had up and down play where the axles entered the front diff and assumed the bearings were shot in diff. causing the seals to leak, well eventually an axle boot blew and had to tear her down. Found ECGS and a rebuilt front diff and planned to replace diff with one from ECGS. When I drained the front diff of oil there wasnt much left but no metal on the drain plug. To make a long story short I can't see any bearing damage where the CVs ride in the diff and was wondering if replacing the front diff seals and axles would be enough to fix my problem and save me $600 on replacing the diff. What bothered me was the up and down play on the axles where they entered the diff. Was it worn diff bearings or worn axle shafts causing the play in axles and seal leak? Want to fix it right but dont want to spend $600 bucks if i dont have too. Anyone had a similar situation? If so what do you guys recommend? Thanks

#4 ·
A fair amount of play is normal. It seems like something must be worn with almost 1/4" up and down play but mine has had it since day one in 99. When you move the inner joint, the thought is "how in the heck can that hold oil?" but it does. (unless the seals are bad) The play in mine has stayed constant thru today with 225K on the clock. This pertains only to the early Tacos, the new ones have the same issue but much worse. That is why ECGS came up with a new bushing for the late Tacos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.