TTORA Forum banner

Has Anyone???

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  SADGOAT 
#1 ·
Tried to build their own Upper and/or Lower control arms? Also, has anyone tried to swap a larger leaf spring for the wimpy stock leaf?

I have a 2001 DoubleCab that has been pretty good for SOME offroading, even at the dunes it kept up and made it through everything. But I think that it could used a little more lift. I dont want it to be too over the top, 2.5" -3" would be good.

I have been entaining this idea for a while, not only does the high cost of buying them deter me, but I enjoy building and fabricating. I'd rather say look what I made than look what I bought. (I'm sure that some people would get that)

I've seen/heard-of swapping a chevy rear leaf on these trucks, but I am not sure what type of leaf I should be searching for.

Any help towards this would be great, I am new here and this is my first post.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I don't think I'd try to build control arms..... they are such an integral part of the truck that if you screw up your welds, that could mean very bad news if they fail at highway speeds. Plus it might be tough to get it perfect so that the alignment is right. It just doesn't seem worth it to me when you could always go buy a set of aftermarket ones and not have to spend so much time and effort fabbing, testing, and worrying.

#3 ·
Thanks, a friend of mine and I tried to make a jig a while back to replicate a set from Total Chaos. We ended up grinding and cutting a lot of pieces. I was hoping to find that someone was successful and could lend some tips.

#4 ·
It's been done. I've read several posts on here about it. Just put your google hat on and search a bit harder.

Personally, unless you have professional welding engineering or fab experience (or your friend) I wouldn't bother.

As far as the leaf springs you are looking for 63" Chevrolet 1500 springs. 4x4 springs have extra leafs and are probably going to net you more lift than a taco with IFS can handle. 2x4 springs seam to net roughly 4+" lift and works well with a 3" front lift. The rear will still be up higher than the front. To use the chevy leafs you will have to relocate the leaf spring and shackle mounts on the frame. There are plenty of write ups with measurement data on TTORA.

I am running a hybrid set. I kept my stock leafs and added in additional leafs from a late model Tundra which I cut to length.

Look at Deaver or Alcan for custom leaf packs.

#5 ·
Well, it looks like I have some saving to do!

I saw a fella on hear that had a pretty sweet setup in converting his leaf srpings. I cant wait to start. Is there a particular year that will work better?

So here is another easy question, What shocks are going serve me better? I am not sure if I want to go all out, but what would be the best for the money paid?

Thanks,

#6 ·
Bilstien 5100s are popular round here; prob on half of the tacomas. Mine too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.