TTORA Forum banner

Switching from 4runner to Taco.

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  IanV 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I am selling my 97 base model 4runner and I am shopping for a Tacoma. I have looked through some threads as far as problems and regrets with your truck however I wanted to see ya'lls input on what you would look out for. My budget is about 12k. I don't do much wheeling, mostly commuting to work, taking the dogs to the river, home depot trips. Pretty much basic use. So if you had to pick are there any years or models to avoid like the plauge? Thanks for any feedback

#2 ·
Out of curiosity, why are you selling the 4 Runner? The 3rd gen 4 Runner and the 1st gen tacoma are almost identical. You could get a trailer and save some cash for mods!

#3 ·
Good question. I have the same 4 runner base model 1997, with 140K. I love it. Yeah it does not have a whole lot of power but it runs silk smooth. And I like the fact that it has a timing chain, no need to worry about replacing a timing belt. I also have a 98 SR5 v6 taco with almost 300K. It still has great power and does not burn oil. The 4 runner 4 banger gets better mileage so we use it more. Keep your 4 runner, it will last if you maintain it properly. If you really want a taco, the 3.4 v6 is rock solid. Good luck looking.

#4 ·
Honestly the 4runner is still running damn decent for over 200k on it. Part of me just wants the tacoma/new vehicle and the other part says drive the 4runner till it dies which will probably be a while. I guess I am looking but not necessarily in a hurry.

#6 ·
I own both right now and my biggest regret with the taco was not getting a double cab. Ended up starting a family a few years after getting it and I no longer haul the 4 wheeler regularly like I did when I bought the truck. We've discussed selling it for a quad cab but I don't want to loose my manual transmission. 4 runner is great just everything has to go on a trailer or the luggage racks.

#8 ·
Mustang I was thinking the same thing, Just got engaged about a month ago and I am sure kiddos will be coming sooner rather than later so I think a double cab is in my future. I'm not a huge fan of the short bed on the double cab though so I'd like to find a standard bed on a double cab. Thanks for all the replies everyone and great advice. The 4runner was my first toyota and I am hooked now. These are great vehicles!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.