TTORA Forum banner

Intake system choices???

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  SurfingDrunk 
#1 ·
Just curious for those out there that have a 1GR-FE 4.0. What kind of intake system do you have on your rig? What do you like/ dislike about it? Did it make a noticeable power difference? Finally how does it sound? I'm in the market to get one just unsure which I want. Leaning towards the AFE stage 2 Si.

#2 ·
I wish I saved my money for something else on my 3.4

I don't think the gains were worth it. Sound good though.(K&N)

That said, have you looked at URDs CAI?

#3 ·
Stock. It was cheap, works as it should and does a good job filtering out dust and other debris. I sounds stock, which is fine because I have better things to listen to, like music. If I had 350 plus dollars burning a hole in my pocket, I could find something much better to spend it on.

Looked at the AFE site...
How is it that the cheaper "Stage 2" system, which looks like a hot air intake, gains 18hp and the "Stage 2 Si" gains 13hp? That seems weird... At least the Stage 2 Si is sealed and actually pulls cold air from outside engine bay. But according to their quotes, hot air is better.

#4 ·
Ever heard of the deckplate mod? I had a K&N on my first 3.4L, hated it because it let dirt/oil through along with the havoc it caused b/c of the oil on my Mass Airflow. My Tacoma now has the deckplate mod, it's great because you can still get the sound, increased flow, but when it's dusty just throw the deckpate back in and you're out of the dust. I'd spend my money on a Throttle Body spacer if you want it to sound cool and have money burning a hole in your pocket. I don't think they do much for performance, but I like how it sounds.

#6 ·
I did entertain the deck plate mod. I still want more air flow though. Yes creating a hole in a stock box when open will draw more air faster but its still restricted by the drop in air filter (even if it is a K&N). And by the stock air tube to the throttle body. Im not worried so much about sound as I am performance so the Throttle body spacer is a major waste of money and time. Want faster air flow pull off your Throttle body and with a small die grinder with buffing attachments and rubbing compound polish the inside to a mirror finish.

#5 ·
well according to AFE for the 2011 model year they dont even carry the stage two(open to the engine compartment). But I was lucky enough to be browsing the local craigslist and found a used stage 2 Si system with Dry filter, and was able to get it for $180 bucks! So as soon as i get it on ill let you all know how much better than stock it is. Being it is my first performance up-grade it essentially is the first building block that will allow me to get more power out of my truck. After all in an internal combustion engine if you dont provide more air flow to it, all the other performance mods you do (ie. exhaust, headers, fuel mapping mods) they all are limited to and suffer with stock air flow and dont work to the peak potential that you payed for them too. Ever heard of
"putting the carriage before the horse".

#7 ·
Get yourself a dyno sheet before and after so you know it's not just placebo effect. You need a baseline for your truck. Especially if you plan on trying to squeeze out every last pound of power with on going upgrades.

Might wanna get that rear-end issue resolved before you put more HP to it ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.