TTORA Forum banner

2000 4runner 3.4 weird starting issue

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  lunarmist02 
#1 ·
alright, there are a ton of threads about loss of power, some about not starting, but this one seems to be a new one, so the answer may be hard to come by. on friend's 2000 4runner, starts up but won't go into high idle and will lug out and die if you don't step on the gas and rev the engine to 3-4k. then it runs fine. she also said it would die on her while driving it, seemed to lug out and stall, then she would wait 15 minutes or so start it up and go. tried cleaning maf, not throwing any codes, still haven't tried cleaning the throttle body, but wondering, does it sound like a tps problem, maybe ecu? she's taken it to multiple garages and they can't figure it out. any ideas, any other things to check?

#3 ·
No codes, which makes it hard to know where to begin, don't wanna start throwing parts at it- would the iac valve throw a code? Prob not cause it's mechanical, and if its sticky that might explain why it runs good after you rev it- she's had this problem for over a year, and I bet in that time she's never cleaned the throttle body, she is a girly girl through- I'll start there I guess

#4 ·
IAC is easy to test. Hook it up to the battery according to the FSM. You'll see the valve move, or not. Cleaning mine fixed my start up idle issue.

#5 ·
I'm leaning toward IAC too. My girlfriends Lexus has iac problems and my truck but not as bad, neither have ever thrown a code because of it. I took mine out and cleaned it once, it's pretty hard to get it really clean, anyway afterward it was starting up better, but now has some lower rpm starts.

If it was less expensive I would just put a new one in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.