TTORA Forum banner

Dual exhaust

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  TacoDell 
#1 ·
Anyone have or know where to get any info on putting dual exhaust on a 2000 Tacoma 4x4 extra cab with a 3.4 v6? Or info on the best sounding and performing exhaust mod. I don't want to put headers on the truck. Just would like a deep sounding dual exhaust and improved preformance for the least amount of money. Thanks

#2 ·
I'll go easy since you posted this in the correct forum...

The plain and simple answer is that if you are looking for any sort of performance gains out of the 3.4 you will be investing in a supercharger. Now a way to "cheat" would essentially be getting a new set of gears (4.56, 4.88...etc). However, near gears generally coincide with a larger set of tires.

Toyota engineered this motor pretty damn well from the factory so by simply adding a catback won't net you any substantial gains.

To answer your question though, the most cost effective way would be to get a couple of mufflers of your choice (magnaflow, cherry bomb...whatever floats your boat) and take it down to an exhaust shop to get you the tubing. That way you get the exact exit you are looking for. A little tip, if you are looking to wheel your rig make sure that the new location, especially with dual exhausts, will not interfere with the suspension as it cycles.

Take a look at youtube for exhaust clips.

#3 ·
You won't see any gain in HP and to me dual exhaust on a toyota 6 cyl looks and sounds ricer-ish but YMMV. If your set on duals just get a magnaflow or flow master muffler with a dual outlets and have a muffler shop do the install. Probably wont cost but a few hundo....

I wouldn't do it. I took off my K&N intake because of the terrible DRONE when the motor downshifts for large hills. I enjoy my stereo or the sounds of nature when on a trail too much to ruin it with a stupid sounding 3.4L V6 screaming out the ass end of my truck.

For info from people that don't bitch at you about questions like this (form over function) look in TacomaWorld.com or CustomTacos.com .

If you have questions (of the function over form verity) about mechanical issues, off road tech, armour, beefing up your taco or girlfriend issues (off topic thread of course) then ask it here. :D

Welcome to TTORA Mr. (or Ms/Mrs?) Howard.

#4 ·
a dual exhaust would reduce the exhaust's back pressure...
thus reducing the torque that exists.

Higher rpm is not an advantage when off road (bigger tires).
Torque is tho'

I suggest swapping out the muffler to a lesser restrictive muffler
if sound it what your after.
^ you will lose a little torque in doing so.

either a FM or MF would work for you.
* Keeping the original tail pipe diameter (2.25")...
will help retain the back pressure necessary
to keep the torque closer to what Toyota designed
the engine to perform best at.

If more power is wanted...
The Supercharger addition is the only real way.

#5 ·
Good ol' TacoDell

He's like our TTORA Yoda... He always gets his point across but in his own way.

#7 ·
My pesonal exprience is that dual exhasut helps it "breathe" a little easier
*Personal

*Experience

Perhaps you've breathed a bit too much of the fumes, GTFO. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.