TTORA Forum banner

Hood release stuck, hood won't fully shut

45K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Thatest 
#1 ·
Something's gummed up somewhere. The release handle in the cab won't retract to normal position, so the latch is stuck or something. The hood will only shut to the point where the front release grabs it. I hit everything a ton with pb blaster in the hood latch mechanism, but wonder if I should be looking elsewhere if the cable isn't retracting.

#4 ·
cable may be broke or has became disconnected at the lever.

think you'll be taking that apart for a look see.
while yer in there... you may be able to release the lock mech.
manually (pulling the wire thru the cable's sleeve)

whatever has failed... will need be repaired/replaced

#5 ·
If there was a broken connection or if the wire was broken but the spring on the actual mechanism is still intact and working then the latch would default to the closed position not the open position wouldn't it? I'm assuming that the spring on the actual latch is what keeps tension on the cable and handle in the cab? Maybe the cable is kinked somewhere? Did this just come out of nowhere or have you been doing anything in the engine bay?

#6 ·
Mine recently had the same (or so it seems) problem. Culprit was rust in the hood latch mechanism which made the latch unable to return to it's original position via the spring.

How I fixed it...Take the latch out and clean it up by using a lot of PB or WD whatever you prefer while working the levers back and forth. Once you're satisfied, work some lithium grease (again, whichever lubricant you prefer) and re-install.

Or...buy a new latch.

I'm no expert, but it worked.

#7 ·
Is the cable stretched or did it pull out? You say it won't retract but then you say the spring is fine.

I'm not sure how to change the latch if you can't get the hood open. Seems like you'd need to take the grille off to get at it but all those fasteners would be under the lip of the hood. I'm interested in seeing how this works out.

#8 ·
I had this happen to me once, it ended up being a broken cable. Bought a new one, and it worked better than before. Also it doesn't hurt to clean the latch as well, mine constantly stuck until I cleaned it.

#10 ·
Start by checking the cable.If the cable is holding the latch open this will happen.Try spraying a little lube on the cable and latch mechanism while some one works the lever from inside.If this is the first time you have had this problen that more that likely this is the problem.The only other thing would be it your latch on the hood is not engaugeing fully into the reciever below then some adjustments will have to be made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.