TTORA Forum banner

Power Steering Pump Noise

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  equin 
#1 ·
I have a 1998 3.4 Tacoma and it is making a new noise. It has 290K on it. On initial cold start up it makes a bad sound. It is not my daily driver so it only gets used on Sat for a dump run. The p/s fluid is full. I took it to a local mechanic and he heard the sound and suspected the p/s pump. I don't think it is the belts because once the truck is warm, it sounds perfect.

How much longer do you think the p/s pump will last? Is this easy to replace? How much is a new one or do they rebuild it? Any info would be helpful.

#6 ·
So yesterday I replaced most of the old p/s fluid and put new valvoline max life atf using the turkey baster method. I did this about six times until the fluid I was removing was relatively new. THe old fluid was not that dirty but it seemed a little thicker than the new fluid I was adding. I stared it this morning and no noise! WTF? In the fifteen years I have owned this truck I had never heard a noise like that, I hope it does not come back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.