TTORA Forum banner

whining noise during accel

3K views 23 replies 4 participants last post by  triplebeez 
#1 ·
hey, my 83 just started making a whining noise during acceleration and when i let off for about a half a second, but when i press the clutch in it stops. changed diff(which was milky) and tranny fluid(which fluid was low for some reason) and the noise persists. is it my throughout bearing or input shaft bearing? or is my diff about to explode? i honestly have no idea where to start. thanks

#3 ·
i was stuck thinking the throughout bearing made a growling noise and that it was only when the clutch was pressed in that it made noise which is the contrary to what i am having...i hope it is the throughout bearing and not the isp because i do not want to pull the tranny completely apart :(

#4 ·
If it was your throwout bearing, I would think it would also make the noise in neutral if you revved the motor a bit with the clutch out, since the input shaft to the tranny is still spinning exactly the way it would be while you had it in gear and moving.

Do you have access to any sound-isolating diagnostic tools? I have a tool that I bought a few years ago called a Steelman "Chassis Ear" that I use to isolate the source of audible problems. You basically clamp these metal clamps onto a bunch of different potential sources of the problem, and then run the wires from those clamps and into the cabin where they each plug into a control unit. The control unit has a switch on it that you can use to choose from 6 different channels, and it will play the sound from whatever channel you currently have selected out through a pair of headphones. You then drive around and switch channels until you find the one that makes the most noise (or the noise similar to the one you're troubleshooting), and then that tells you which component is causing the problem. This is helpful for differentiating between motor, differential, transmission, or transfer case issues.

#6 ·
It's definitely cool! I've used a few times on friends cars to diagnose problems. Fortunately (knock on wood) I haven't had to use it yet on the Taco.

If you're interested in picking one up, take a look on E-bay. There's lots of them for sale for good prices. They make a wired and wireless version. I have the wired version because it's significantly cheaper and requires less batteries. I think I picked it up for 50 bones on e-bay a few years ago.

#7 ·
Put it in low. If the noise as loud with the gears, if you were in high?

If not, it's probably in the diff.The milky oil has probably damaged the bearings and left scarring on the races. How was the oil that came out?

Could also be driveline related. Hows the carrier bearings and u-joints?

#8 ·
Put it in low. If the noise as loud with the gears, if you were in high?

If not, it's probably in the diff.The milky oil has probably damaged the bearings and left scarring on the races. How was the oil that came out?

Could also be driveline related. Hows the carrier bearings and u-joints?

diff oil was darkish brown
do you mean 4low? and 4Hi?
u joints are brand new, not sure about carrier bearings. what are they?

thanks

#9 ·
carrier bearing is the support bearing in the middle of a two piece drive shaft.

I wouldn't worry about dark brown oil. As long as there is no water or metal in it. Water = milky color.

#12 ·
ive done one creek crossing but it was before i chnaged fluids and it has a breather but its only 4 inches long, and it was submerged but that was months ago and it just started making the noise

#13 ·
How much metal shavings in te oil?

Pull the driveline and inspect all the ujoints for notchyness. If you has a carrier bearing check that for notchyness.

Fwiw I do gear installs on the side and can rebuild it with new bearings and Reese if you like

#15 ·
Double check the driveline, but I have a hunch it's your bearings in the rear end. Without proper lubrication, and the pinion whizzing away at 3000 rpm, the bearings are going to get scoring or pitting, that can damage the rollers. Because the pinion spins so fast you'll hear it, and it will resonate through the drivetrain.

How long did you drive on the milky oil and of those miles, how many were high speed on the highway?

#16 ·
funny you mention that actually!! it was probably only about 200 miles or so cuz ive changed it twice. when i first changed it it was literally chocolate milk, the one i recently did was 200 miles or so after the first and it was a slight gray brown if that makes since. and i only drive on the highway maybe twice a month rolling at about 65 70, but this is when i began to hear the noise. so it could have damged something in the rear end. Where are those bearings your talking about? actually in the diff? and where is the carrier bearing? thanks

#17 ·
Yes actually in the diff. You will need to have someone tear it apart and press the bearings off, press new bearings on and set the pattern and backlash. The pattern my change with the new bearings and if so it needs to be reshinmed. If you've never dealt with a rear end before I wouldn't recommend doing anything more than removing the third member.

The carrier bearing is a support bearin between the transfer case and third member. Reg cabs did not have them, but ex cabs did.

It doesn't matter how many times you changed the oil after. The main thing is the damage that occurred during the time that the watery oil was in there. Once the races and bearings are damaged, they are damaged an will continue to deteriorate, regardless if there's good oil or not.

Question is, did that 200 miles of driving damage the races? If youve been debating rehearing now would be the time to do it to rule it out

#22 ·
well had a mechanic check it out today, he said change tranny fluid, but theres nothing wrong with tranny or diff, just making noise cuz its old and this is the mechanic my folks have used for ten years. so im gonna do that and hope nothing blows up i guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.