: Steer over vs Steer under

Lysmachia
10-31-2005, 11:18 PM
Ok I can't seem to get a good understanding of why you'd want to keep steer over (SAS) other than clearance issues - but still it seems to me that if your tie rod is pretty close to your axle then it doesn't matter - your shackles will hit anything before your steering. Why do I ask? Well I had steer under and then All phase moved it to over - which worked fine with the old All Pro Steering arms. But on Escalator I tweaked my steering and new I had to get beefier arms and steering box armor. Front Range Off Road (Brian) got me some killer steering arms but they are much bigger and now my steering is so close that it will definitely bind when wheeling. It's being fixed by All Phase right now since I don't have the time before I leave to do it with Anthony but... I would think to go back to under steer would fix it.

Gawd everyday I become more of a Noob at this :D

Wish I had a pick of it now (I have the before)

Oh and as an aside - Spend the extra $$ and go with beefier chit if you are doing an SAS - The previous owner was a big fan of all pro but I really don't think their stuff is strong enough. I'll have to replace my front all pro leafs at some point too...

GOT COPE?
11-01-2005, 12:10 AM
Ok I can't seem to get a good understanding of why you'd want to keep steer over (SAS) other than clearance issues - but still it seems to me that if your tie rod is pretty close to your axle then it doesn't matter - your shackles will hit anything before your steering.

As far as I know, high steer is mainly to get the drag link above the leafs, so you dont have to have a "Z-link" winding through the springs. Many people run the drag link to a high steer arm on one side and leave the tie rod on the lower steering arms. Which is where I derive my thought:high steer is mainly to get the drag link above the leafs

On the other hand, in cases where the tie rod is run above the leaf springs as well, the higher away from the rocks the better. Sure the shackles are more likely to hit first but it is still possible for the tie rod to be bent. :2cents:

GOT COPE?
11-01-2005, 12:12 AM
-> Why do you need a flattop knuckle?
A flattop knuckle allows you to run high steer (high steer) or Spring Over Steering arms on a Dana 44 straight axle. This moves your steering up 3-7" higher than the stock steering. If you driver your vehicle off road you'll understand why this is done. However, if your into driving on the street don't do this modification, it gains you nothing worth your time. Now read the warning note again. It may reduce bump-steer, see linked pages below to read more on this area.

Lysmachia
11-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Nice - this really helps. If I want to keep my steering arms from FROF I might need to get the high steer arm spacers from Parts Mike (That is untill I go for new knuckles - I like the flat top knuckles for sho' )

tacotoy
11-01-2005, 07:16 PM
uh shackles are just on one side or the other....... like stated the real goal of the hysteer is to pull the steering components up as high as possible along the length of the axle like around your pumpkin n stuff

GOT COPE?
11-02-2005, 01:57 AM
uh shackles are just on one side or the other....... like stated the real goal of the hysteer is to pull the steering components up as high as possible along the length of the axle like around your pumpkin n stuff

I guess she's seen too many YJ's with shackles in the front :D I didnt even think about that.

Lysmachia
11-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Dude if you'd seen how F'd up my truck weas yesterday you'd have been seeing Red! We got the drag link and tierod backwards... Christ!

GOT COPE?
11-03-2005, 01:31 AM
We got the drag link and tierod backwards... Christ!
Lol how yall do that? Got pics?

Also on a rig w/ coils and a link suspension there are no shackles or leaves to hit, the tie rid would be on the front lines there.

Lysmachia
11-03-2005, 12:18 PM
I only have rear coil overs and front leafs. I don't want to say who screwed up the geometry but it wasn't All Phase - it was a friend who was helping me on Sunday. All Phase fixed the problem just in the nick of time. Those guys are amazing!

Guapotaco
11-15-2005, 02:47 PM
what in the helicopter is going on here?
you need to clarify what you are doing and i'll give you all the info i've been researching,from what i gather, you put a flat arm on the front axle? and it does not clear the leaf spring? a spacer is not a safe option,this is the problem i've been looking to eliminate, you are going to need a new steering arm with a spacer built into it,a separate spacer is asking for trouble,can you say bodily harm?or someone else's bodily harm, ott or parts mike make a high rise arm for 44's but i'm not sure about the toy axle, can you get some pics of what you are trying to do?
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/
go read steering article here and you'll understand the importance of what you are trying to acheive
my new set up:
ott high rise(spacer built in) 44 arm drilled out for 5/8 studs,the reason for 5/8's is that the arms i have now have 5/8's bolts(which is a big no no) stock stud size is 9/16's,so the new arm is drilled out for 5/8's and i got 5/8's studs and reamed out 9/16 cones to make it work
i have done away with the tie rod over the springs,so i have crossover steering but not high steer,i now have a 1 1/2" tie rod(super beef) with 1 ton gm TRE's,i am going to keep this set up and add a hydro assist ram to it,and all new pump, reservoir, and rebuilt and ported gear box with a toyota pitman arm drilled out to fit the 1 ton gm tre's,should do the trick and be super beefy too!!

Lysmachia
11-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Thanks Guap. I'll get on that ASAP. When I have Money. As you said. You will break and you will go broke!

Guapotaco
11-21-2005, 07:54 PM
hehehehehehehehehaahahahahahahahahaha,i'm broke right now but i've got 36's and a dana 60 under guapo! i can even drive in 4wd now,wow

Lysmachia
11-22-2005, 01:06 AM
I'm gonna print this out and take it to all phase - I have washers as spacers right now (long story) it is a VERY temporary fix. I wonder if FROR would make an arm with the space in it?? Because that's who I got the new arms from....