: please L@@K at intake silencer mod 7hp???

00trdtaco
01-03-2005, 12:03 PM
intake silencer mod promiss at least 7hp.

ive heard about this mod and seems very inexpensive with no side effects. they talk about removing the resonator or silencer in the intake tube right before the tb. for some reason the picture that they showed of this thing didnt look anything like the one i have. so i took off the thing i thought it was and had no sound change with which it promised. has anyone done this mod because it seems promising. what is that box right before the throttle body. is this the resonator and is it it ok to remove for performance and sound. any insight will help. PLEASE LOOK AT THIS SITE AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK AND WHAT THE PICTURE IS OF THAT THEY SAY IS THE SILENCER BECAUSE THE PIECE THEY SHOW DOESNT LOOK LIKE THE ONE I GOT../it seems very easy. just take off the box before tb and plug up the hole..

http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/dr_z_intake/dr_z.htm

Breathegood
01-03-2005, 03:05 PM
I put an AirAid Modular Intake Tube (MIT) on my truck this weekend which is essentially an expensive, but clean way to do what you are describing. I don't know if you have an aftermarket exhaust or not, but if you're all stock, you may want to hold off on this mod. I have headers and cat-back on my V6 without being supercharged and have always felt like the engine is starving for air, particularly in the low end. I did the deck plate a long time ago and it helped a little, but it's never enough. I put the MIT on in conjunction with the S/C throttle body gasket and it seems to have lowered my power band a little bit, but the in cab noise is excessive, especially at or near WOT. If you haven't freed up the exhaust, I wouldn't do this mod unless you prefer engine noise to music or conversation.

00trdtaco
01-03-2005, 03:16 PM
i haave 04 4x4 trd manual s/c, urd, exhaust, elbow removal and amsoil filter. is it as simple as removing the silencer and closing the hole or new pipe and that will help out. the piont is a more free flowing intake tube..... is this mod worth the hassle or not,, thats the question.

hytenor
01-03-2005, 03:37 PM
i haave 04 4x4 trd manual s/c, urd, exhaust, elbow removal and amsoil filter. is it as simple as removing the silencer and closing the hole or new pipe and that will help out. the piont is a more free flowing intake tube..... is this mod worth the hassle or not,, thats the question.

LOL, that's what I get for not reading the whole thing...for some reason I was thinking exhaust tip mod, not intake...o well.

If the mod is cheap and doesn't harm anything...and you like to tinker with your truck (don't we all?), what the heck? ;)

now I have to go back and actually read the write-up :rolleyes:

Breathegood
01-03-2005, 03:50 PM
is this mod worth the hassle or not,, thats the question.
IMO, probably not for your application. The volume of air that the S/C moves through the intake tube will overwhelm any small changes you make to the tube itself. The noise alone would be reason enough for me not to do it if I had the supercharger.

EDM
01-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Sounds like I mod I am going to have to try.

00trdtaco
01-03-2005, 05:09 PM
thanks for helping me out on this one. ive been on this forum for a like a year now and this mod has never came up in any post that i remember.

DCabTaco
01-03-2005, 11:28 PM
check out atwanda's site under mods. he has a picture of the silencer in your truck as well as a good way to plug the holes. http://www.mor4wd.com/

Offroadtaco3
11-13-2007, 08:32 PM
ok. this mod doesnt do anything for performance. however, it does alter the sound of the truck. i just did it and i am happy with the results. i suggest doing it to get a better sound.

tinkertoy
11-13-2007, 09:24 PM
breathgood, be carefull with the airaid mit, mine fit really tight, meaning lots of force and stress placed on the air box and after a year or more it snapped the MAF tube part of the air box right off, dont know when it happened but finally noticed it, been sucking dirty air right into the MAF.
just thought id tell you my experience, i just epoxied the tube today ill see how long that holds up, also trimmed down the silicone boots a bit to give the tube a little more room to "move"
wish i left it stock
jesus i gotta go to bed im replying to posts from 2 years ago, wtfo!

bunchr1
11-14-2007, 06:25 PM
I done this to my 96 Taco and it really made alot of noise.. It gets annoying...

riseagainst88
02-26-2008, 11:52 AM
breathgood, be carefull with the airaid mit, mine fit really tight, meaning lots of force and stress placed on the air box and after a year or more it snapped the MAF tube part of the air box right off, dont know when it happened but finally noticed it, been sucking dirty air right into the MAF.
just thought id tell you my experience, i just epoxied the tube today ill see how long that holds up, also trimmed down the silicone boots a bit to give the tube a little more room to "move"
wish i left it stock

Does the MIT tube even give that much more power?

hytenor
02-26-2008, 12:30 PM

there really are no products or mods that can be done to the 2.7 that gains much hp other than a SC, turbo or sending the motor to LCE for a complete build for $5k :p

adding a hi-flow intake, header and doing some exhaust mods will get you maybe 7hp combined. All the other crap on the market doesn't do anything but drain your wallet.

slim99
02-26-2008, 02:47 PM
so some Japanese engineers designed a plastic box to go on the intake to make it quiet and sacrificed 7hp? Dont sound like that intelligent of an idea... but If these are the same engineers that designed the rear leafs then the track record is against them!! I would consider doing this mod, however why not use black schedule 40 drain pipe and stick it on a lathe to get the right end sizes to connect it to factory components???

hytenor
02-26-2008, 02:51 PM
so some Japanese engineers designed a plastic box to go on the intake to make it quiet and sacrificed 7hp? Dont sound like that intelligent of an idea... but If these are the same engineers that designed the rear leafs then the track record is against them!! I would consider doing this mod, however why not use black schedule 40 drain pipe and stick it on a lathe to get the right end sizes to connect it to factory components???

that also serves as a catch basin for water.

regardless...you'll never see a 7hp increase by eliminating it, sorry.

slim99
02-26-2008, 02:55 PM
that also serves as a catch basin for water.

regardless...you'll never see a 7hp increase by eliminating it, sorry.

I'm not doubting a hp or 2 but 7, i don't think so... btw hytenor lets meet up and install fans on the intake tubes and get 25 hp... lol

hytenor
02-27-2008, 03:39 AM
I'm not doubting a hp or 2 but 7, i don't think so... btw hytenor lets meet up and install fans on the intake tubes and get 25 hp... lol

electric Tornados? :p

you only get the full 25 if you add stickers to at least 4 areas on the truck.

Scootn2nature
02-27-2008, 04:55 AM
electric Tornados? :p

you only get the full 25 if you add stickers to at least 4 areas on the truck.

I got the stickers!!!!

Where should I stick them...........:confused: :confused:

riseagainst88
02-27-2008, 10:59 AM
wish i left it stock

there really are no products or mods that can be done to the 2.7 that gains much hp other than a SC, turbo or sending the motor to LCE for a complete build for $5k :p

adding a hi-flow intake, header and doing some exhaust mods will get you maybe 7hp combined. All the other crap on the market doesn't do anything but drain your wallet.

I have a 3.4 and I was refering to the Airaid M.I.T. tube that tinkertoy was refering to

hytenor
02-27-2008, 01:30 PM
I got the stickers!!!!

Where should I stick them...........:confused: :confused:

do you really need to ask?

hytenor
02-27-2008, 01:35 PM
I have a 3.4 and I was refering to the Airaid M.I.T. tube that tinkertoy was refering to

won't make much difference. All the claims from the intake, header, or 'whatever product' mfgs are for the most part, crap. A 5l v8 will see a 20% hp increase going from a stock cast intake to a well tuned header pair but the smaller engines just don't see the big increases. Toyota has done a pretty good job of pulling all the possible power out of these motors already. Short of installing the SC, a 50-shot nitrous system or having a place like LCE build the motor from the crank up you will never see much hp gain from any aftermarket product.

Scootn2nature
06-08-2008, 08:26 AM
do you really need to ask?

OUCH!!!!! what did I do?

new muffler bearings too