4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  wslytoy 
#1 ·
A friend snapped a shot of this today being loaded into a semi
Some parts look new some look retro.
He only had time to get this one view.
Pretty cool looking though

See less See more
#3 ·
it says "Land Cruiser" on the license...

#4 · (Edited)
I believe it was Steve McMillan that made that rig about 5 or 6 years ago in response to Toyota asking for a prototype for a retro-landcruiser. It was featured in one of the 4WD magazines some years back.

Too bad they didn't take his idea or TLC's idea instead of the yuppie-mobile it looks like they are winding up with. Too bad because the TLC land cruiser was essentially a FJ40 with updated interior, V-6, and very true to it's original nature as a bare bones capable off roader. Would have bought one of those the first they became available.

Instead we get smurf blue soccer mom mobiles with cute plastic roof racks and vanity mirrors. :mad:

#6 ·
sagexp said:
I believe it was Steve McMillan that made that rig about 5 or 6 years ago in response to Toyota asking for a prototype for a retro-landcruiser. It was featured in one of the 4WD magazines some years back.

Too bad they didn't take his idea or TLC's idea instead of the yuppie-mobile it looks like they are winding up with. Too bad because the TLC land cruiser was essentially a FJ40 with updated interior, V-6, and very true to it's original nature as a bare bones capable off roader. Would have bought one of those the first they became available.

Instead we get smurf blue soccer mom mobiles with cute plastic roof racks and vanity mirrors. :mad:
It was Rod Millen Group, and the rig is the Retro Cruiser.

http://www.rodmillen.com/Lcruiser.htm

#9 ·
Yep it’s a custom 1967 FJ-45. It was at the TRD facility in Orange County that is closing or moving. I agree though, Toyota should have gone with this style rather than the soccer mom-mobile :(

#11 ·
DakotaTacoma said:
Yep it’s a custom 1967 FJ-45. It was at the TRD facility in Orange County that is closing or moving. I agree though, Toyota should have gone with this style rather than the soccer mom-mobile :(

Equipped like that, it would have had a much higher price tag than the current Cruiser.

#12 ·
AK98Taco said:
Equipped like that, it would have had a much higher price tag than the current Cruiser.
the current land crusier is selling north of $60K, and look at what rich folks are paying for the MB G-wagon.

The new FJ Cruiser isn't so bad, just needs less plastic, a solid axle and factory lockers like my ol' 80!

#13 ·
Buck said:
the current land crusier is selling north of $60K, and look at what rich folks are paying for the MB G-wagon.

The new FJ Cruiser isn't so bad, just needs less plastic, a solid axle and factory lockers like my ol' 80!
That Retro Cruiser has front and rear independent suspension, electric rear locker, center diff lock, Kevlar skid plates, 10 gal water tank, front and rear winches, a GPS navigation system, and a satellite phone. That's quite a few more features than the modern LandCruiser or LX470 so I'm sure it would sell in 80 to 100K dollar area if it could be built.

#15 ·
pullnshoot25 said:
but why independent suspension front and rear? can it offroad as well as any all-around solid axle or solid axle-IFS?

mmmm doubtful, but then again the Hummer is IFS and IRS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.