TTORA Forum banner

whats my FJ worth?

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Gravel Maker 
#1 ·
I am gonna post on ih8mud.com also but wondering yalls opinions. This is a link to one pic. Also details of the whole deal are on the link. Please respond with all opinions thanks. Just wondering what people would pay for it, if I am asking too much.

http://www.toyotatrailriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=684

#3 ·
Hi,

I haven't gone through the entire link, but from the pic, I think your price might be a bit high... for $3500 I would expect a passenger seat, doors and 4 working tires - at minimum.

Pete

#4 ·
I bought my old fj-40 in 2001 for $2500. and it was WAAAAAY cleaner than that one. Hardly any rust at all, just a little in the rear corners and a decent body. The stock 2f motor needed to go though. I think your a little steep on price, but what do I know, sell it for what you can get for it.

#5 ·
fj

blackhawk223 said:
I bought my old fj-40 in 2001 for $2500. and it was WAAAAAY cleaner than that one. Hardly any rust at all, just a little in the rear corners and a decent body. The stock 2f motor needed to go though. I think your a little steep on price, but what do I know, sell it for what you can get for it.
So you paid 2500 for a decent body with some rust and a straight frame?
Well did yours have rear disc brakes, power steering, etc.? Both FJs that come in the deal also have a running engine and good drivetrain. So for that deal you get 2 running drivetrains. I dont know what year your 40 is but if its a pre-76 its f/r drum. the 78 will also have the front discs. But you still wouldnt pay more than the cost of yours for all the upgrades?

Thanks for the replies, they're helpful just trying to gauge the right price.

#6 ·
mountainpete said:
Hi,

I haven't gone through the entire link, but from the pic, I think your price might be a bit high... for $3500 I would expect a passenger seat, doors and 4 working tires - at minimum.

Pete
In the link it tells what comes with it. I took the best top softoff off so I could show the cage. It comes with the top, soft doors and hard doors with no rust. One doesnt have glass.

And I do have a passenger seat. 2 in fact. And the other FJ has a drivers seat. I just cant post other pic.

Thanks for the input

#9 ·
It was a 76 with front disc brakes and a 4spd. and yes the frame was straight and the title was clear. The motor ran but not too good and it was out of a 73 and had no smog equip. which is an issue in california on a post 1973 (it couldnt pass smog there when I bought it). It had no top or doors though.

I took out the 2f and dropped in a TBI 305 chevy and GM power steering, also rear disc brakes came later, it was very clean... sorry I had to sell it, but thats another story.

Oh and by the way... those things are money pits to say the least!

#11 ·
The price would be worth it to someone local who wants to build a wheeler and have another for parts and such. In my case, you would have to pay me to take those off your hands since I have no place to put them and no car dolly large enough to transport them.

It's all very subjective. Hope that helps...

#12 ·
Ricks72 said:
Yeah they are HUGE money pits. I just want a simple solid axle 4runner or pickup. I am thinkin 2700 or trading for one now.
Yes, they are huge money pits. BUT a nice cruiser will hold it's value way better than a pickup. I have spent lots of dough on mine, but it's still worth way more than I have into it. Solid axle trucks are a much better rig to build for cheap, but they are all 20 years old now as well.

#13 ·
Any Cruiser is worth $2500 if.....

it is pretty much complete, Too many people breaking them up to sell piece by piece on Ebay. Bastards! I bought a very good condition stocker about 18 months ago for $2500, had a junk lift and 35"s. Bought another last month for my 13 year old to learn on ( he wants a wheeler and he can weld![better than me]). Paid $1800 for it, V8 and a touch of rust, runs ok, could use a rebuild, 33" tires, good tread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.