: dolly towing a tacoma backwards?

peekay331
12-05-2005, 03:14 PM
here's a longshot question, has anyone ever towed a tacoma backwards on a dolly, i.e. with the front wheels on the ground? with manual hubs of course.

i've done a lot of research and it appears that whether a vehcile can be towed in this manner is different from model-model.

i'm doing this bc i dont want to install a d-shaft disconnect or disconnect my shaft shaft if i dont have to (bc i cant reverse easily when towing a vehicle and it would be a BITCH to have to reconnect a d-shaft everytime i want to back up.)

wslytoy
12-05-2005, 03:34 PM
"shaft shaft" what exactly is that? haha jk. Hmmm, I'd be kinda leary of towing something like that, mainly b/c its IFS and all the stearing components. I still say disconnect the d-shaft, and tow it rearwheels on the ground....

Paul
12-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Angry Andy got towed backwards when his tranny went out. The tow truck driver asked if his hubs were unlocked 3 or 4 times.
http://angry.servepics.com/~andy/moonrockstow025.JPG
http://angry.servepics.com/~andy/moonrockstow022.JPG

trd2001
12-05-2005, 04:13 PM
You could tow it flat, but on my dads friend's Jeep, It eat's the front tires up. He has to replace them one a year since he tows it alot. . I would get a dolly, and disconnect the Drive Shaft.

peekay331
12-05-2005, 04:17 PM
do you know if it wobbled like a mofo? i've heard on some cars, the caster/toe/etc is adjusted so that it doesnt track straight when towed backwards.

peekay331
12-05-2005, 04:23 PM
i would disconnect the rear driveshaft, but....

you cannot reverse very well while towing a vehicle on a dolly.

with a motorhome this is especially problematic if i have to reverse.

i would have to come out of the rv, reconnect the d-shaft, and drive it off the dolly. all this is too much just to reverse.

on the other hand, if i can tow it backwards... i can have my gf come out, sit in the tacoma, steer one way, while i back the motorhome up-all while still connected to the taco. kind of like those long ass firetrucks. furthermore, it'll be much easier without having to dis-connect and re-connect the d-shaft all the time.

im a bit hesistant to use the remco d-shaft disconnect bc it seems like it might weaken my overall drivetrain. it also costs like 800 bucks or so.

a car hauler is out of the question, no place to store it-especially at a small campground. a dolly could be pushed under the motorhome.

peekay331
12-05-2005, 04:25 PM
everything ive read so far, it does not appear that a auto 4x4 taco w/ stick transfercase can be flat towed. otherwise i would be so there.

you still getting that car hauler? btw-does your dad have a workhorse or ford? how much does it weigh, uvw? mine weighs like 14,000 flat. the 2005 27c has one less slide and weighs 12,500. maybe i should have gotten that one.

i'm almost desperate enough to just leave my truck idling while i dolly tow it. or maybe just tow the matrix with it. haha, so gay.

fuck, maybe i should have bought a new truck/travel trailer instead.

Timbuddha
12-05-2005, 05:14 PM
A full float option from Brian at Front Range is an option. I bought it from him so that I can flat tow the taco behind the motorhome. Expensive, yes, but so is a trailer and I like you just don't have the room.

Tim

peekay331
12-05-2005, 05:41 PM
hey tim, yea, i saw that kit. but it appeared that i had to buy a bunch of stuff in addition to the kit? if so, how much did it total? was it easy to install?

mudwisr2
12-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Disconnect rear drive shaft and tow it. If you have to drive it a little bit (off the dolly to turn around and then back on the dolly) lock in the hubs, put it in 4 Hi and don't turn very sharp. If you are easy, you have nothing to worry about. Thats what I would do anyways.

peekay331
12-05-2005, 06:51 PM
wouldnt that cause the loose driveshaft to flop around?

how hard is it to get the d-shaft realigned when reconnecting?

trd2001
12-05-2005, 06:55 PM
everything ive read so far, it does not appear that a auto 4x4 taco w/ stick transfercase can be flat towed. otherwise i would be so there.

you still getting that car hauler? btw-does your dad have a workhorse or ford? how much does it weigh, uvw? mine weighs like 14,000 flat. the 2005 27c has one less slide and weighs 12,500. maybe i should have gotten that one.

i'm almost desperate enough to just leave my truck idling while i dolly tow it. or maybe just tow the matrix with it. haha, so gay.

fuck, maybe i should have bought a new truck/travel trailer instead.

its not to late to back out now. :)

Which car Hauler you talking about? the one for the Baja Bug? I am getting it for the guy down the street, maybe early next year. The bug is still in pieces, one day i will finish it.

I believe my dads Motorhome weighs about 16,000 lbs. Its built on an f530 chassis according to the local Ford Dealer. I had to buy parts the other day for it. Holiday Rambler calls it a 32 foot, but the actual measurements are closer to 36 ft. His is a 97 or 98, whatever the last year Ford used the 460ci engine. His has the Banks Power Pack on it also.

I also lost my Storage Spot in the Valley. Next year in the last year. we are house shopping right now, so RV access is a must.

peekay331
12-05-2005, 07:28 PM
man, i'm still haunted by the idea that maybe i should have bought the 29-they cost the same and i could get it right away. the thing is that the 26 has pretty much the same amt of room-except one less sofa. it also has the workhorse which is more proven. plus the 26 has a short ass wheelbase, something like 150 inches, v. the 190 for the 29.

trd2001
12-06-2005, 09:38 AM
man, i'm still haunted by the idea that maybe i should have bought the 29-they cost the same and i could get it right away. the thing is that the 26 has pretty much the same amt of room-except one less sofa. it also has the workhorse which is more proven. plus the 26 has a short ass wheelbase, something like 150 inches, v. the 190 for the 29.

go back to the dealer and change it. 26 is to small.

peekay331
12-06-2005, 10:21 AM
yea, but then with the 29-which is basically a 30, i'm gonna have to have a dinghy for sure. i just looked it up, my 26 has a wheelbase of 158.5", a crew cab f350 LB has a wheelbase of 172". hahahaa. ghetto.

i think i'm just gonna tow my matrix for most trips, and when i need to tow my taco, just leave it idling. supposedly, i can tow the matrix 4 down, but that would require a tow bar and i'm skerred to use one. also w/ a dolly, i can tow anyone-including your broken down 4 runner.

btw-i got a new rear bumper yesterday.....shiny chrome one.

Timbuddha
12-06-2005, 10:11 PM
hey tim, yea, i saw that kit. but it appeared that i had to buy a bunch of stuff in addition to the kit? if so, how much did it total? was it easy to install?

There is more to install, but in my opinion it is well worth is. I can lock up 37s with my waggy brakes up front and the supra discs in the rear. I had brian at front range just assemble everything for me and all I had to do was bolt it to the axle, slide in the shafts bolt up the hubs and bleed the brakes. I freaking love it. I bought is as part of my diamond axle and that plus the full floater kit was 2700 shipped. Expensive yes, but now my wife feels 10x more safe knowing that she can drive the truck and actually stop it when she pushes on the pedal. She also likes that she can ride with me in the motorhome instead of driving the truck behind me.

Tim