: lost rear end (05 Taco)

TRDForMe
12-27-2005, 11:40 PM
So my first experience using 4 lo with the diff lock was not a good one. I blew a 3 1/2 inch chunk right out of my ring. Basically destroying the whole rearend. Got it towed to toyota and had it back with a complete new assembly in four days so I am happy about that. For once it wasnt my fault, factory blemish in the casting...phew. Havent heard of anyone else with this problem yet and hopefully wont.

fast frank
12-27-2005, 11:52 PM
Wow! glad to hear that Toyota fixed you up in a hurry.

Now tell us how it happened.

steep climb? Rocks? Right as you turned the locker on?

Give us some details, dude!

Fast Frank

KStacoma
12-28-2005, 12:21 AM
Damn, seems like all I hear about the 05's is problems, that sucks for sure man! At least you have warranty.

TRDForMe
12-28-2005, 12:23 AM
Actually, beleive it or not, I wsnt even wheeling. There was about six inches of fresh snow on the ground and I was just playing around. I put it in four low and it was fine. Then I decided to lock in the diff. Put it in First, spinning the tires a bit and getting a feel for it. Stopped, took off again and it just let go. No extreme use at all. The warranty manager asked me if I had gotten stuck and I told him exactly what happened. I suppose that he still questioned my honesty at this time so I gave him a mock senario (getting stuck bad) and asked him if the diff lock was just a sales gimmick or if was supposed to actually work like I had assumed when I purchased the truck. I have been stuck many times and have never lost the rear in any of my vehicles let alone a brand new one that was barely spinning a tire. After I talked for awhile, he agreed that this should have never happened even If I was stuck at the time. The technician who is friend of mine, took the rear apart and said that it was fluke incident that he has never ever encountered on a toyota. I almost wish I had a good wheelin story to go along with it but unfortunately I dont. Oh well.

bray
12-28-2005, 01:22 AM
Actually, beleive it or not, I wsnt even wheeling. There was about six inches of fresh snow on the ground and I was just playing around. I put it in four low and it was fine. Then I decided to lock in the diff. Put it in First, spinning the tires a bit and getting a feel for it. Stopped, took off again and it just let go. No extreme use at all. The warranty manager asked me if I had gotten stuck and I told him exactly what happened. I suppose that he still questioned my honesty at this time so I gave him a mock senario (getting stuck bad) and asked him if the diff lock was just a sales gimmick or if was supposed to actually work like I had assumed when I purchased the truck. I have been stuck many times and have never lost the rear in any of my vehicles let alone a brand new one that was barely spinning a tire. After I talked for awhile, he agreed that this should have never happened even If I was stuck at the time. The technician who is friend of mine, took the rear apart and said that it was fluke incident that he has never ever encountered on a toyota. I almost wish I had a good wheelin story to go along with it but unfortunately I dont. Oh well.

So you prematurely blew your load while you had good traction, but anticipated bad traction in the sac.....

I mean truck! j/k!