TTORA Forum banner

Gas Tank for 67 FJ40?

7K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Dick Foster 
#1 ·
What's up y'all! I'm new to this site however - a novice to the "old" NorCal TTORA site. I've actually just put a posting up for parting out my recently rolled 96 Tacoma - yipee - if y'all need any parts - check it out on the California site :)

Anyhoo - I'm in the process of restifying the 67 FJ40 I bought a year go. It seems the 38 year old gas tank has finally sprung a leak - which isn't a good thing since it's right under any passengers arse!

Info i'm hoping y'all can help me with is Polyurathane tanks vs. replacement NOS metal tank. Anyone have any opinion / experience with poly tanks? CoolCruisers has em' for $180.00 with sending unit I believe. And for a replacement metal tank - I found SOR has em' for $304.00 + $63.22 for the sending unit - damn!

Also - being the newbie LandCruiser owner that I am - what are sites are good resourses for parts & accessories and are there any I should stay away from??

Any help is most definitely appreciated:)

Thanks!
Rick

See less See more
#4 ·
You might want to look into just coating the one you have. Check out the stuff that POR 15 has. Mine was OK but I decided to coat it anyway just because it's a 66 and a perceived need is enough for me. We should be doing it sometime soon now. The FJ is over at the Bent Up shop in Sac so you could take a look at it when the tank is done. I've already pre cleaned the tank out pretty good. Now it just needs the last etch and the internal coating stuff put in.
I have a couple of sending units too that I probably won't need. The original I bugged with but got another off of EBay. I am not sure if it works well or not. I decided to go with a full set of new gauges so will be using the Autometer sender in mine.

#7 ·
So you're saying it's probably not a good idea to try to weld the leaky seam :) POR huh - most of the floor in my FJ is already covered in the stuff - might as well carry out the theme! The leak isn't horible - just kind of seeps fuel from one of the seams. You think the POR would seal this and be fuel proof? Regarding the "etch and the internal coating stuff" you mentioned - are you doing this or having a shop do it? My tanks lookin' a bit scally inside and if going the route of restoring it - would greatly benefit from being internaly cleaned and recoated.

#14 ·
bentup1 said:
I am taking out a stock tank out of a 66 fj. If you want it i will sell it to you cheep. Its in sacramento too. Aj
It is not a stock tank. The stock tank will be put back in under the passenger seat. The tank that it was running on, the one underneath the rear end is an add on but I don't think there will be room for it when we are done with the rear suspension.

#15 ·
The seams are soldered not welded. I found that out when I had mine powder coated. The POR treatment removes all the rust and stuff then the sealer makes it leak proof and keeps it from rusting again. I did most of the preclean myself that is getting all of the buildup and rust out of there. Then I had it poweder coated. It needs the final etch, dry and the sealer applied but Bent Up will do that as the FJ is already over at their shop. The one thing to make sure of is that the tank is absolutely bone dry before the sealer is applied.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.