: Steering wheel adjustment

sloppytaco
01-16-2006, 05:37 PM
The steering wheel has been off center for a while now and I want to correct if from inside the cab any suggestions?

GOT COPE?
01-16-2006, 05:51 PM
The steering wheel has been off center for a while now and I want to correct if from inside the cab any suggestions?

When you get an alignment the shop that does the alignment should also center the steering wheel at the same time.

sloppytaco
01-16-2006, 06:35 PM
I don't have the cash for an alignment I blew it all on trying to fix my noise problem. This I should be able to do with a little guidance

GOT COPE?
01-16-2006, 06:38 PM
$38. Stone Mtn. Tire straight across from Patrick's. I cant tell ya how to do it yourself sorry. I probably could figure it out but I havent tried yet :D

sloppytaco
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
$38. Stone Mtn. Tire straight across from Patrick's. I cant tell ya how to do it yourself sorry. I probably could figure it out but I havent tried yet :D

That is a great price! Some shops want around $100 for the alignment I can handle $38. Thanks for the info :kewl:

link817
01-16-2006, 07:16 PM
WOW, $100 for an alignment. I wouldn't go over 50, i've had 4-6 alignments w/ in the last year and have found someone who does it for 45. I have had the problem you had w/ the steering wheel not centered but the truck went straight. Easiest would be to get someone to hold the steering wheel straight and then work on the steering rack. You would counter the off-center steering wheel with adjusting the rack. I can't explain it to well typing, i've seen Jack do it to my rack.

GOT COPE?
01-17-2006, 12:46 AM
That is a great price! Some shops want around $100 for the alignment I can handle $38. Thanks for the info :kewl:

Cool cool. Ive never paid more than $40 for an alignment. But yes I have gotten quoted some ridiculous prices.

tweeder3410
01-17-2006, 01:54 AM
WOW, $100 for an alignment. I wouldn't go over 50, i've had 4-6 alignments w/ in the last year and have found someone who does it for 45. I have had the problem you had w/ the steering wheel not centered but the truck went straight. Easiest would be to get someone to hold the steering wheel straight and then work on the steering rack. You would counter the off-center steering wheel with adjusting the rack. I can't explain it to well typing, i've seen Jack do it to my rack.
With the size tires your running you shouldn't have a problem with alighnment, but remember you get what you pay for. If you won't pay over 50 bucks for one thats why you get it done 4-5 times a year. I just say screw it, alighnments are overrated! LOL

tweeder3410
01-17-2006, 02:05 AM
I got ya homie, I forgot to show ya when we were dealing with the alleged wheel bearing. It's simple, just pop out the little caps on the back side of the steering wheel cover, then use a small hex head to unscrew the bolts that hold the horn/airbag assembly,NOTE: they won't come out they just loosen up the little thinga ma jig that the airbag is fastened to. Once loosened pop off the horn/airbag, you may or may not need to unplug some of the wires to get it off but I would unplug the airbag and set it down gently so it's not in your way, there will be like a 1/2" nut that holds the steering wheel on, just take that off and your steering wheel will come off and you can just spin it to where it's straight.

NOTE: Before you start your mission be sure to disconnect the battery, so the airbag doesn't blow your face off on accident, and make sure your wheels are straight.

Once you get the horn/airbag off it's preety much common sence after that, you'll see what I mean, it's simple. Call me if you need a hand.

sloppytaco
01-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Thanks, Rick! How is the truck going?

link817
01-17-2006, 10:23 AM
I really don't know whats wrong w/ my steering setup, I know that all my tires are out of alignment and that has a lot to do w/ it. My steering woes all started when i put poly bushing in the rack, worst desicion i have ever made. I wouldn't think that tire size has anything to do w/ price, its the rim size that becomes a problem. The alignment machines can only clamp onto certain sized rims. I don't know what the exact limit to the machines are now, but i bet anything over a 18 or 20 will encounter a problem. Shops that have ppl w/ bigger rims just use the stock sized rims and set the alignment and then put on the big "rims". People at goodyear said they could align a 37mtr as long the machine was capable to attach the rim.

sloppytaco
01-17-2006, 10:29 AM
That's weird that you have had problems since you put the poly bushings on. I have not had a single problem with the poly bushings. They have actually helped stiffen the steering producing a quicker response.

ATLRoach
01-17-2006, 10:39 AM
No problem with my polys either.. C, I think you are a hypocondreact for your truck. As the saying goes; "if it's not broke don't fix it".

link817
01-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Man the day i got the poly's put onto my truck, i went to drive it home and the steering wheel was off centered, who the hell knows how or why? The shaft going into the rack is keyed so it should of not happened. I only say this b/c I had the entire rack taken off the truck instead of grinding on the front diff. like peter parks did.

link817
01-17-2006, 11:27 AM
alright your spelling wizard, hypochondria does not apply to my steering rack issue. i was told by a mechanic that everyone said was the stuff that my bushing were going out and that i need to replace them. So when i go to get my poly's installed w/ a different mechanic i find out that the first guy had turned into a bad business man.

tweeder3410
01-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Thanks, Rick! How is the truck going?
Finaly got the bearing pressed in about an hour ago but I still haven't been to sleep from workin all night last night and it is raining and I got my skids in and I want do do do but I can't and I am very unhappy :baby: :scared: :explode: :xcrybaby: :xcrybaby: And to top it off I have to leave for work tonight in an hour..... I'll have her up and ready tomarrow! HAHA!

How did the write up work out for ya?

sloppytaco
01-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Finaly got the bearing pressed in about an hour ago but I still haven't been to sleep from workin all night last night and it is raining and I got my skids in and I want do do do but I can't and I am very unhappy :baby: :scared: :explode: :xcrybaby: :xcrybaby: And to top it off I have to leave for work tonight in an hour..... I'll have her up and ready tomarrow! HAHA!

How did the write up work out for ya?

I haven't had a chance to do it yet. I plan on doing it tonight after work. What all skids did you get? Glad to hear that your bearing is pressed in and ready to install on the truck. At least you can get a few :xzzz: sitting on the side of the road in the patrol car.

Do you need a cb for next weekends run? If you do I will bring up my spare. We will hook this one up without burning it up :kewl:

ATLRoach
01-17-2006, 04:02 PM
Richard, I have a CB you can have if you come and get it. Needs a power cord and mic.

EDIT:
Why you gotta full name me...mom...still disgruntled about the pack of hotdogs joke! LOL

Rick

STOMPER
01-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Stop right here!!!! Before you eat up the new tires get a stinking alignment. It will fix the wheel and save money on tires. You cant tell me you dont have $50 to spend on an alignment but ya got $700 or $800 to spend on new tires. Also if ya dont get an alignment soon your going to be wanting new tires cause those new one will be riding like crap.

tweeder3410
01-17-2006, 11:51 PM
I haven't had a chance to do it yet. I plan on doing it tonight after work. What all skids did you get? Glad to hear that your bearing is pressed in and ready to install on the truck. At least you can get a few :xzzz: sitting on the side of the road in the patrol car.

Do you need a cb for next weekends run? If you do I will bring up my spare. We will hook this one up without burning it up :kewl:
Sounds like a winner to me. Thanks man

tweeder3410
01-17-2006, 11:55 PM
Richard, I have a CB you can have if you come and get it. Needs a power cord and mic.

EDIT:
Why you gotta full name me...mom...still disgruntled about the pack of hotdogs joke! LOL

Rick
:D :flipoff3: :D

ATLRoach
01-18-2006, 06:10 AM
Nice edit maybe next time you will learn where reply is.

tweeder3410
01-18-2006, 01:38 PM
Nice edit maybe next time you will learn where reply is.
LOL You know you love me sweetheart.....It was a very long night last night, had to keep busy somehow. :D