: MT or AT

swank501
01-17-2006, 11:08 PM
i just got a sweet deal on some 16x8 wheels at discount tire and ordered some new tires. I have always ran 33x12.50 or bigger MT's on 10" wheels, but my truck is a 4 banger and the gas mileage and lack of power kinda sucks. I decided to order a set of nitto terra grapplers 285-75-16 AT to down size a little and maybe get a little better mileage with the AT tread. Well I just saw that BFG MT come in a 255-85-16 which is alittle taller but skinnier tire. I'm stuck trying to decide which tire to get now since the nittos haven't arrived at their store yet I can still change my mind. any input/ suggestions?I don't want to lose too much offroad performance, but I want a more streetable truck since its my DD.which do you think is a better tire?

themariachi
01-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Why would you lose offroad performance with an MT? I don't know much about the Nittos, but I doubt that they do better than a BFG MT offroad.

TacoDell
01-17-2006, 11:15 PM
He did say this... but I want a more streetable truck since its my DD.

Mt's aren't the best for that purpose...

themariachi
01-18-2006, 12:02 AM
He did say this...

Mt's aren't the best for that purpose...
That's true. I was just talking about offroad performance. :D

swank501
01-18-2006, 07:31 AM
what I meant was I already have the terra grapplers ordered, and I know the BFG would be better offroad, but would they be as streetable since it's skinnier than the nitto?

Toyo4x4
01-18-2006, 07:35 AM
what I meant was I already have the terra grapplers ordered, and I know the BFG would be better offroad, but would they be as streetable since it's skinnier than the nitto?

No, an MT is less "streetable" than an AT regardless of size. As a rule of thumb you can assume an M/T will be louder, wear faster, and ride rougher on road than an A/T, simple as that. Now there are exceptions, and people claiming their MTs ride just as good if not better than A/Ts, but if you want a more "streetable" truck, run an A/T. If you don't care about noise, a bit faster wear, etc, get an M/T.

swank501
01-18-2006, 05:36 PM
I've always ran a MT on the truck, I love the way it performs off road but its pretty much a pig on the street. I also think a lifted truck looks alot better with a MT. I hope this doesn't kill the look and off road performance of the truck. But then again it would be nice to ride a little smoother and maybe get a litlle better MPG since I have to drive about 50-100 miles a day in houston

Toyo4x4
01-18-2006, 05:38 PM
I've always ran a MT on the truck, I love the way it performs off road but its pretty much a pig on the street. I also think a lifted truck looks alot better with a MT. I hope this doesn't kill the look and off road performance of the truck. But then again it would be nice to ride a little smoother and maybe get a litlle better MPG since I have to drive about 50-100 miles a day in houston

Then do the ideal thing... have two sets of tires, one for the street and one for the trail :D

swank501
01-18-2006, 07:09 PM
I wish I could but I'm living back at home right now and I don't think my parents would like any more of my crap taking up space in the garage. I already kicked one of their cars out of the garage to make room for my 6 tool boxes and air compressor.I probably will just go with the terra grapplers and see how they work out, besides I haven't really heard too much abbout them so maybe I can be one of the first around houston to give them a trail rating. I had the mud grapplers for awhile and they were awesome, just alittle too big for the ol' 4banger to handle with stock gearing