: losing your mind over compressing springs

97TacoDude
01-11-2005, 06:07 PM
I'm thinking about renting a spring compressor to change the crappy front shocks in my truck. Someone told me that a few years ago a local "kid" was found dead in his parents garage with a large chunck of his head and a coil spring embedded in the ceiling. We can all guess how that happened. Is using a spring compressor really dangerous? If the compressor is of high quality, in good shape, and used by a half-way intelligent person who can read directions is the job all that dangerous? I would think that if one took his/her time, and kept the "armed" spring pointed in a safe direction that the job wouldn't be that bad.

04RedLobster
01-11-2005, 06:14 PM
yes they are...IMO...if you have no expericen with them....i don't recommand using them at all...take the springs to a shop to save ur life!!..that's crazy some kid died!!

FYI...i had my trd coils (progressive coils) compressed with 3" spacers at tire kindom and they end up breaking the compressor...it was wall mounted also...i don't know what coil springs u are going to use but IMO i wouldn't use it because i have no expericense with it...and i dont' think i well every use it after seeing that coil compressor bust!

but i did get it compressed at NTB...

TacoCrazy
01-11-2005, 06:33 PM
He's absolutey correct!! Take them to a shop and get them done..I have done many sets and still get nervous knowing what "could" happen..

dougtrd
01-11-2005, 07:09 PM
ditto...I have done some before, and its scary to say the least ...the last set I did we took to Big-O and they charged $40 for the pair...well worth it IMO.

Live4yotas
01-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Everyone is right it is dangerous. Me and my cousin did two sets mine and his and I wont do it again. I borrowed the compressors from auto zone and it took me and my cousin holding the spring one person each side to crank it down. The kind I used like a long bolt with a hook on the top that fit like a washer and the bottom hook screwed on like a nut. It's not a good Idea its hard to turn and takes awhile. Just save your time and facial features and go to a shop who has the proper equipment.

Mike
01-11-2005, 07:35 PM
I'm thinking about renting a spring compressor to change the crappy front shocks in my truck. Someone told me that a few years ago a local "kid" was found dead in his parents garage with a large chunck of his head and a coil spring embedded in the ceiling. We can all guess how that happened. Is using a spring compressor really dangerous? If the compressor is of high quality, in good shape, and used by a half-way intelligent person who can read directions is the job all that dangerous? I would think that if one took his/her time, and kept the "armed" spring pointed in a safe direction that the job wouldn't be that bad.
There's a bunch of different ways you could injure/kill yourself working on your truck, just have some common sense. I've compressed springs before, it's no big deal. Just be safe about it.

Later,
....Mike

97TacoDude
01-11-2005, 07:44 PM
There are many horror stories. There's one about a local chain tire/suspension store that will remain un-named. Anyway, it was "rush hour" with many customers in front of the counter. Suddenly a spring and a string of one of the workers intestines came flying through the observation window into the lobby and impacted a sample tire, bouncing off and landing at the feet of some customers. Not pretty. Needless to say the worker was killed. I am scared to death of spring compressors.

I forgot to mention that Kermit the Frog and a guy from The Chemical Brothers was in the waiting room.

hytenor
01-11-2005, 07:56 PM

Yup, it happens. Even the shop that I had my 2nd set done at had had an accident with their heavy duty wall-mount unit.

Unless you have and air-ratchet and at least a 20gal compressor, forget it. Even then, the experience is nerve-racking to say the least.

Pay the $ and have them done. Average price that I've seen posted is from $20/pr to $40/side. shop around.

been there, done that

synovus
01-11-2005, 08:14 PM
I heard a story once about this guy filling up his truck at the local gas station, and the pump slipped and went up his ass, and it fill up his colon like a water balloon, and then he sharted and some lady on the other side of the pump was talking on her cell phone and a spark shot out of it and the shart spray ignited and her hair melted to her hand which melted to her phone, and her ear became fused with her acrylic nails and the gas station attendant came running over to help her but he got disemboweled by a flying coil spring from this dude's tacoma when him and his buddy were trying to install a spacer in their garage a few days earlier, and the spring kept flying and hit a school bus and decapitated the bus driver, then ricocheted off the handrail and flew back through the bus and killed like 30 of the 40 kids by coiling in one eye then through their skulls, grinding up their brains, then coiling out of their other eye. Then the coil flew across the river with chunks of gall bladder and liver and eyeballs hanging from it, and the fish in the river jumped up and ate pieces of the raw entrails as it flew by, and then it landed at the feet of a young couple making out at a riverside park on their lunchbreak. I heard it was nasty, and the young couple were kinda freaked out by it. You should just have an experienced shop do your coils.

04RedLobster
01-11-2005, 08:18 PM
wow...is that a true story? taht's freaky!!

hytenor
01-11-2005, 08:20 PM
I heard a story once about this guy filling up his truck at the local gas station, and the pump slipped and went up his ass, and it fill up his colon like a water balloon, and then he sharted and some lady on the other side of the pump was talking on her cell phone and a spark shot out of it and the shart spray ignited and her hair melted to her hand which melted to her phone, and her ear became fused with her acrylic nails and the gas station attendant came running over to help her but he got disemboweled by a flying coil spring from this dude's tacoma when him and his buddy were trying to install a spacer in their garage a few days earlier, and the spring kept flying and hit a school bus and decapitated the bus driver, then ricocheted off the handrail and flew back through the bus and killed like 30 of the 40 kids by coiling in one eye then through their skulls, grinding up their brains, then coiling out of their other eye. Then the coil flew across the river with chunks of gall bladder and liver and eyeballs hanging from it, and the fish in the river jumped up and ate pieces of the raw entrails as it flew by, and then it landed at the feet of a young couple making out at a riverside park on their lunchbreak. I heard it was nasty, and the young couple were kinda freaked out by it. You should just have an experienced shop do your coils.
LOL. Can you recite that in one breath? :D

synovus
01-11-2005, 08:26 PM

Anything's possible with enough helium... or nitrous. :D

Mike
01-11-2005, 08:26 PM
That's kinda like the story about how when you install a lockright and drive in rain or snow you will spin out and fly off a cliff and roll 47 times and land on a busload of handicapped kids bursting into flame and killing yourself because you installed a lockright and drove on rain.

Later,
....Mike

hytenor
01-11-2005, 08:45 PM
That's kinda like the story about how when you install a lockright and drive in rain or snow you will spin out and fly off a cliff and roll 47 times and land on a busload of handicapped kids bursting into flame and killing yourself because you installed a lockright and drove on rain.

Later,
....Mike
but at the speeds you drive you don't have that problem ;)

I will hopefully be joining the slow-motion crowd by AZ rocks ;)

hytenor
01-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Anything's possible with enough helium... or nitrous. :D

Hmm, and that would enable you to do that in one breath, how? :p

I could probably teach you ;)

Yeti
02-22-2005, 12:05 AM
LOL !! Thats the best story Ive ever heard! haha im still laughing!

p.s. just be safe and use a quality compressor, be sure to clean and oil the threads before you get going on any sort of puller or a compressor like this becuase that can make or break a puller. And its faster but I wouldnt really recommend and impact becuase the operation could be jerky and make things more dangerouse than they need be, just take it smooth and easy with a wrench and a vise. Oh and oil your threads! It went without any problems the 3 times ive done mine(twice becuase I lined up the spacer wrong the first time) :)

mudferret
02-22-2005, 12:17 AM
Sure it can be dangerous. Just get spring compressors with the biggest diameter stud you can, and don't scimp on the cost, low cost = low quality. Don't point a loaded spring at your head, it's a shame that young kid didn't have someone to tell him that...

ocdp2000
02-22-2005, 12:21 AM
jason demello did mine, hes buff and did it with his bare hands, no actually he used the compressor too. it was money well spent IMO.

cartman308
02-22-2005, 06:19 AM
:lmao: :lmao: i'm crying over here!!!! :lmao: :lmao:

22snowman
02-22-2005, 01:00 PM
LMFAO... and wiping up the tears...
harharharhrh

toyotaman21
02-22-2005, 04:12 PM
spring compressors aren't that bad at all, i've used them 3 times with no problems what so ever, the way i look at it is if something freak like that was to happen to me then it was probably my time to go anyway just used a rachet and be safe, its like guns aren't safe but when you have one do you go around shooting it without looking, no, just be safe and you won't have any damn problems

drinkintedbr
02-22-2005, 11:27 PM
Just aim them away from your head. Oh yeah, use an impact wrench, it saves a hell of alot of time. I have used spring compressors from auto zone a couple of times and I always use alot of caution when compressing and un-compressing the coils.

shovelracer
03-07-2005, 12:56 AM
Even though this is an old thread I thought I would post my two cents. A stock tacoma spring done with the do it your self compressors isn't too bad. However do not confuse this advise with the safety issue of a loaded spring. If you are adding a spacer the spring has to travel that much further in the compressor. Potentially adding thousands of pounds of additional pressure. I have seen those do it yourself models, even a good one, bend under pressure and that can be scary. And I'll never forget when the local tire shop shot my spring across three bays of their garage trying to install a spacer on it. That was with a competent technician using a high quality wall mounted spring compressor. In fact the only reason he survived was because he was smart enough to stand behind the structural I-beam that it was mounted to. Anyway I don't think I'll be doing any more with my home model, and I don't recomend anyone else do it either. Unless you like to live dangerously. Good luck to anyone even considering it.

hytenor
03-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Even though this is an old thread I thought I would post my two cents. A stock tacoma spring done with the do it your self compressors isn't too bad. However do not confuse this advise with the safety issue of a loaded spring. If you are adding a spacer the spring has to travel that much further in the compressor. Potentially adding thousands of pounds of additional pressure. I have seen those do it yourself models, even a good one, bend under pressure and that can be scary. And I'll never forget when the local tire shop shot my spring across three bays of their garage trying to install a spacer on it. That was with a competent technician using a high quality wall mounted spring compressor. In fact the only reason he survived was because he was smart enough to stand behind the structural I-beam that it was mounted to. Anyway I don't think I'll be doing any more with my home model, and I don't recomend anyone else do it either. Unless you like to live dangerously. Good luck to anyone even considering it.

great story. The guys at the shop that did my coils the last time pointed out a large hole in the cieling insulation, about 25' up, above and a ways from the wall mounted compressor...same problem.

StemsCornfedTaco
03-07-2005, 09:44 PM

:eek: :eek: Damn, I didnt have any trouble when I compressed my coils for my cornbred. But that might be b/c there are 2.7L coils. I was still nervous to compress them myself cuz it was the first set I ever did.

mudferret
03-07-2005, 09:50 PM
:eek: :eek: Damn, I didnt have any trouble when I compressed my coils for my cornbred. But that might be b/c there are 2.7L coils. I was still nervous to compress them myself cuz it was the first set I ever did.

It might've had something to do with it. But care and caution goes a long way, taking your time compressing them; unloading the springs and readjusting the compressors if they slip on the coil, etc...

In 99% of the cases in which accidents happen it's probably because someone cut corners, was in a rush, or started drinking too early.

StemsCornfedTaco
03-08-2005, 05:13 PM

LOL!!! :lmao: :lmao:

StemsCornfedTaco
03-08-2005, 05:17 PM
It might've had something to do with it. But care and caution goes a long way, taking your time compressing them; unloading the springs and readjusting the compressors if they slip on the coil, etc...

In 99% of the cases in which accidents happen it's probably because someone cut corners, was in a rush, or started drinking too early.

Yea I waited until I got them done to start drinking, LOL. I cant complain too much b/c It didnt take too long to take them off, compress them, add the spacers and change shocks, re-install and slap the thornbirds on. It was about 3 hours, Not to bad for 30 degree weather in a barn with a Dirt floor and no heater. :D :rolleyes:

yamataco
03-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Just like several have posted, do not put your self (or allow others) into the path that the spring would take if the compressor broke. I have done 5 sets so far, with an autozone compressor and had no problems. Work careful, respect the stored energy of the compressed coil and stay out of the likely path of the parts in the event of a compressor failure. I use an air impact wrench, seems safer to me.

JohnInDenver
03-10-2005, 11:29 PM
I used two sets of spring compressors from auto Zone ($40 each and returned both on their money back guarantee). Had to go to two stores. If the compressor bolt or nut threads appear damaged get another spring compressor set. Make sure nothing is missing and the nuts spin easily on the bolts.
First I mounted the spring strut in a table vise upright. Used thick leather gloves. Before loosening anything I firmly clamped the base of the spring to the lip of the shock flange with a decent sized vise grip. This really helped control the spring as it was compressed or as pressure was released. Fit the concave part of the compressor nuts between the spring coils when they were not attached to the compressor bolt. Once in place on the coil it was easy to thread each bolt through each set of compressor nuts. Safer than banging them in between spring coils. I hand tighten all four . Made sure all four bolts were parallel with the shock. an air impact wrench or big 1/2 drill makes it hard to consistently control the torque load on each nut. used a 3/8 rachet and took my time. Had a 1/2 rachet but the 3/8 was easiest to tell if each nut was torqued down evenly. If the 3/8 rachet became too hard to turn then I knew I was doing something wrong. Went back to one of the other bolts and invariably found one with a lot less pressure on it. By equally compressing 4 bolts slowly but surely it was safe for me. Ditto when it came time to release pressure. By the way, the springs were from a non trd Tundra. Can't imagine doing this job with only two bolt compressors on each spring.
No wonder spring compressors (both the equiptment and operators) can get damaged.

imatt
03-11-2005, 09:48 AM
I had to return my first set of rented spring compressors as well. The first set was bowing so badly that it was incredibly dangerous. The second set didn't bow out at all.

I did mine with regular hand tools - no air tools. This is NOT the way to do it. I had the spring/compressors laying on it's side on the floor with my foot on it, cranking away. Now that I look back on it, I would'n't recommend anyone else doing the same. At least I had it pointed sideways and underneath my foot, should the thing have come to pieces... for whatever that would have helped.

r0cky
03-17-2005, 07:28 PM
Okay ... they CAN be scary, but they can also be used successfully and safely - without pogo-sticking around the garage with body parts attached. I have compressed the coils on my 4th gen. 4Runner over 5 times with Craftsman coil spring compressors and hand tools. And I'm a girl!

As long as you're smart about it, you'll be just fine!

:)

TACORICAN
03-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Wow you are a girl? Das cool. Last time I used one of these all kinds of stuff flew everywhere.

r0cky
03-18-2005, 06:33 PM
what kind/brand were you using?!