: Front Diff is being touchy

MrZuhalter
01-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Ok so I made a run up to the hills a few weeks back and had to use the chains on my rears because when I put 'er 4wd, manual hubs with stock front diff and xfer case, she got really squirrly. It works well enough in a pinch but it feels like the front wheels are binding, sorta. The tracks in the snow were tread pattern for a few feet the skid, alternating sides, and once there was anything like traction it was like driving a buckin' bronco. No noticable noise and the shifts feel clean. At first I thought the brakes were binding but braking is smooth in 2wd and I replaced the pads just 4000 mi ago. The wheels turn fine when the hubs are locked and not in 4wd and thats about all I've had time to test so far. The armour is a little banged up under there so I haven't had a chance to crack open the case and see how its doing or to check the front diff fluid but I drained and refilled that 20k ago and maybe have 3k in 4wd.

If anyone knows what causes this or has any ideas, let me know por favor. Life in my 2wd Taco is starting to become tragic. I don't get many chances to go out because of work and school and now even those I can't do anything about... I'm dying here.

Oh yeah, if anyone has or knows where I can get a locker switch for the rear E-lockers, just the switch, for less than $20 I'm looking for one. Also like to say howdy to some of the old timers, Brian and Crunch, Driftin, Andrew, Patrick and the crew. Its been a while since I've been on.

tacotoy
01-23-2006, 10:28 PM
hmmmmmm change the oil and see if there is any metal shavings in the oil when it drains out. if so then its probably toast at this point...

MrZuhalter
08-11-2006, 12:19 PM
so I finally figured out the front diff issue -- it wasn't the diff at all it was the hubs. I thought I'd let you all know though since they are SEALED hubs so it wasn't like the bearings were locked up. Where the hubs release in the hub itself, where the bearing sepates form the outside of the hub, there are 2 diff types of metals. Whoever put the hubs on my truck didn't lube them up properly so they had rusted together at that spot. This effectively 'welded' the outside of the hub to the bearing with rust so that the wheel would spin and the hub would still lock but when the front diff was engaged the hub couldn't spin free from the other hub. Kinda think like a really poor way lock the front up. Any way that was the problem and it seems it happens a lot from what I have heard from my brother who is a mech in the Springs when ppl switch from ADD to manual hubs or change out their manuel hubs.

Anyway prolem solved and on to the next pain in my ass :D

Commutacoma
08-16-2006, 09:03 PM
Welcome back...

what ever happened with your ambulance situation?

MrZuhalter
04-09-2007, 11:54 AM
I ended up pleading guilty to a defective vehicle and paid a $35 fine. DA thought it was a BS charge and let the judge know he wasn't going to prosecute anything more than that, simply for insurance reasons. Judge wasn't happy about that which is why I got the max fine he could give, but its over and done with. After that I went and worked with Steve in GC long enough to see Marv go nuts and then bailed there because it waqs just more politics. Now me and a friend run a ski shop in Boulder, kinda went the other direction.

Front diff is still being weird though. Can anybody describe what the truck drives like with a broken front axle? I've been chasing ghosts on this damn thing for almost two years now and I haven't been wheelin' since. I'm going crazy. Gonna try and get this dealt with once and for all this summer, done with school and all that, so I'm gonna play as much as possible.

Good to see some of the guys I wheeled with last time are still here. Talk to all of you later.

Josh

RedRunnertc
04-09-2007, 12:26 PM
If it's still IFS, it's pretty damn easy to see whether a front axle is broke or not....

MrZuhalter
04-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Ya talking about jiggling the axle? Cause it looks and feels solid but there is something still weird up there. The spider gears are all fine, The hubs seem to engage and disengage just fine, The wheels spin freely when the truck is in two wheel, the only thing I can think of is maybe the transfer case but I don't see how that would cause the front wheels to lock up individually. I'm to the point now where I might just punt and drop 5k on an entirely new front end.

RedRunnertc
04-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Sounds like as good an excuse as any to SAS... LOL