: WTB wheel spacers

swank501
01-27-2006, 07:28 PM
I need some wheel spacers pretty damn quick. I bought a set of wheels from discount, but for some reason the circumference of the hub bore decreases about 2 inches inside, thus preventing the wheel from going all the way on. Its close but not quite there.

Option one: pay a machine shop 40 bucks per wheel(160 bucks for the mathematically challenged) to machine a little further into each one.

option two: buy wheel spacers for the front(the wheels fit on the back). I was thinking of getting the kind that come with studs that you bolt to the existing studs then bolt your wheels on. I don't want the spacers to be more than one inch though.

Help a brother out

Captain J
01-27-2006, 07:31 PM
if the back wheels fit, then you would only need to get the front ones machined right. I would suggest against spacers as I have heard horror stories of them failing in a bad way, you don't want that when you are going down the road at 70mph

swank501
01-27-2006, 09:24 PM
All four would have to be done for rotation purposes

Captain J
01-27-2006, 10:01 PM
I c, well then do two now, then two later, I just know of a couple of guys that have had the lugs break off the spacers and then your wheel is attached to nothing....and when one lug fails the others are usually seconds behind...savvve?

Valkyrie
01-28-2006, 08:05 AM
hmm. I've 'heard' lots of stories, never able to distill it to an actual person I could identify. Not saying it can't happen, I just suspect that often these stories get passed around without all the facts associated with the failure.

I've run spacers from 1" to 2" (currently running 2") without issue. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe because I bought quality ones, torqued them to the hub and used locktite... or maybe because I check the torque after every wheeling trip and at every oil change.

Being aware of the risks and managing them accordingly should keep someone out of trouble.

TacoManny98
01-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Hey Jeff this is almost like the "Body Lift" option or "ford vs. chevy". personaly i trust spacers i have heard more poeple talk about alum. wheels falling off from people not retighting them than people wheel spacers falling off. I know 5 people (not just friends of friends) that have had their wheels fall off but it was not due to spacers. I think if you general recheck them like most poeple should i don't think there is a problem. But thats just my .02 But i'm also one of those people that also don't think BL are a problem if done right and kept up. I was planning on putting some on next weekend you would be suprised aon how many people have used or re using them compared to people that have had problems with them..but that just my .02

captsurf
01-28-2006, 02:48 PM
hmm. I've 'heard' lots of stories, never able to distill it to an actual person I could identify. Not saying it can't happen, I just suspect that often these stories get passed around without all the facts associated with the failure.

I've run spacers from 1" to 2" (currently running 2") without issue. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe because I bought quality ones, torqued them to the hub and used locktite... or maybe because I check the torque after every wheeling trip and at every oil change.

Being aware of the risks and managing them accordingly should keep someone out of trouble.

X2 bro :D it;s just like anything else on a vehicle "maintenance required" every 3,000 miles :) i was looking into them back when i was running the 33"s on my stock 16" wheels. i would have no problem using a good quality set and keeping up on the maint. w/ them. horror stories on this issue seems like a installer error to me :cool: just my :2cents: