TTORA Forum banner

some old fj's

4K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  calamaridog 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I would have loved to have that troop transport landcruiser instead of that POS chevy van that we have.... but, when there are 11 kids in the family, you kind of have to compromise, eh?

#8 ·
#10 ·
That 1964 FJ40 looks like a lunch box painted with a paint brush! Im sure you can fit a small village in it though ;)

#13 · (Edited)
phishtaco said:
Vimtage 0ffroad = Crooks That is all..Stay away Many threads on ih8mud about this ripoff
I have heard this as well about Vintage Offroad! They cut corners, and just make em look purty!

It'd be cool to do an SOA on a Troopy and wheel that bad boy!!

#14 ·
Let me get some pics of my brothers up here and see what you think. Its a FJ40 (dont remember what year), 4" BDS lift, and 33" Nitto Mudgrapplers. And the drivetrain is stock otherwise.

#18 ·
It's pretty damn hard to beat the Chevy Small Block for parts avaliability, Chris. I can almost buy parts at Thrifty Drugs for the thing. The 2F is just a dead on copy of an earlier Chevy straight six anyway. It's heavy, anemic as hell and has a carb. For what I plan to do with it, a carb just won't work. I'm coverting to EFI.

#19 ·
LOL! I hear you.

I'm in a bit of an 'ethical' pickle myself. I picked up a '71 from Oklahoma that is almost bone stock and real nice. The problem is, it's almost to nice to modify or wheel.

I love the old school feel for a DD or camping vehicle, but I know me, and I want to mess with it. I don't know if I should bite the bullet and fininsh the resto and flip it, or just say fuck it and build it how I want.

I'm probably the only guy who can find a way to be unhappy about fining a nice 40... :(

#23 ·
valkyrie said:
I'm probably the only guy who can find a way to be unhappy about fining a nice 40... :(
When/if I find a nice 40 Id do a mild lift w/ some 33x10 BFG or 34x9 TSL and keep it clean for a hunting/camping rig like you're thinking. And if it saw any trails they'd be mild.

But I also like to have an extreme 40 too :D

And I like the 2F! Sure SB has parts availability, but Im just a Toyota guy.

#24 ·
Dick Foster said:
It's pretty damn hard to beat the Chevy Small Block for parts avaliability, Chris. I can almost buy parts at Thrifty Drugs for the thing. The 2F is just a dead on copy of an earlier Chevy straight six anyway. It's heavy, anemic as hell and has a carb. For what I plan to do with it, a carb just won't work. I'm coverting to EFI.

There are a ton of 2F's running around with 300,000+ miles. Very reliable motor...

...but I'd go the Chevota route too with your needs:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.