TTORA Forum banner

WTF - radio, dome, powerlocks out

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Scootn2nature 
#1 ·
I recently installed some fog lights on my 99 prerunner and they worked great except that now my radio, dome light, and powerlocks aren't working. I
initially thought i must have blown a fuse, so i checked every fuse with the fuse indicator tool and none of them were blown. I don't know what else it could be at the moment, being that it was a simple installation that didn't involve messing with any other wire components. Installation went as follows, foglights - wired to battery - then to switch, disconnecting the battery was the only thing involved that would have effected anything electronic. If anyone has any suggestions or solutions they would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
either pull those fuses and look at them or use a 12v test light. those little testers aren't the greatest things in the world....

#3 ·
Probably your dome light fuse.
When mine blew, it killed power to the radio too.
I replaced the dome fuse, and all was good again.
Check ALL your fuses by manually pulling them.

#4 ·
DakotaTacoma said:
Probably your dome light fuse.
When mine blew, it killed power to the radio too.
I replaced the dome fuse, and all was good again.
Check ALL your fuses by manually pulling them.
x2

The fuse may not be fully blown, it could be partially broken and allowing enough electricity through to show it's working on your tester, but not enough to power those components. On my old truck, I had a fuse like this. It tested fine, but I pulled it, and it was partially blown. Still whole enough to power the instrument cluster that was on the same fuse, but not to let the dome light work. Replaced the fuse, and everything was right again.

#6 ·
I've checked all of the fuses and replaced all of the ones that had anything to do with the problem i'm having and so far nothing has worked. I was told to check the relays also, but i'm not sure how to do that, any suggestions?

#7 ·
if youre not sure how to do it you might consider buying new relays.... you need an ohm meter to check them. the resistance of the coil depends on the relay and its spec.... and then if you hook up the coil to 12v power you should read continuity between the contacts

#8 ·
thanks all for the input, i guess my next step is to take it to a dealership, it seems that it must be a short or something, it just doesn't make sense though

#11 ·
true but it is probably a short somewhere so its going to be an all or nothing type of thing..... lol come on kaleo catch up!

#14 ·
no it didn't but thanks vanguard, i haven't fixed it yet, i have to work tonight but when i get off i'm going to try the 12v test light before i have to bring it to the dealership

#15 ·
Follow Up:

After finally breaking down and bringing my truck to the dealership and $859.00 later, it turns out I had a short in the wire harness coming off of the fuse box, or so they tell me, and they replaced it with a new wire harness and it worked, well worth the $859.00, right. Thanks for all the input, I wish it would have helped, but unfortunately I had to suck it up and spread'em for the dealership, ouch. $479.00 for labor, what a crime.

#16 ·
After finally breaking down and bringing my truck to the dealership and $859.00 later, it turns out I had a short in the wire harness coming off of the fuse box, or so they tell me, and they replaced it with a new wire harness and it worked, well worth the $859.00, right. Thanks for all the input, I wish it would have helped, but unfortunately I had to suck it up and spread'em for the dealership, ouch. $479.00 for labor, what a crime.
:doh::eek:

:doh::eek:
I know this is old but..........call valkrie or barb at toy of dallas/trdparts4u for any factory item then post on your local ttora chapter and buy the pizza and beer for some help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.