: Gas Mileage Question...

mitchjw
02-07-2006, 09:32 AM
What kind of mileage do ya'll get? I realize that there are about a million factors that play a role in gas mileage, but on my 01 Dcab, v6, auto, 48k miles, 32" tires. I'm getting about 15 on the interstate with no load. I've run fuel injection cleaner repeatedly, and I've also got the amsoil filter in the box. Took the elbow off the air box. Is this about right?

Please let me know what you guys are experiencing. I had a S/C model that got 18+ so it seems odd to me that my normal one is not doing so well....

:2cents:

bluetaco
02-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Have you checked the spark plugs? they may be gapped wrong and/or fouled...

RedRunnertc
02-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Tire pressure. Do the chalk test, maybe a few psi higher if you're going on a trip.

CWest
02-07-2006, 12:20 PM
That seems low compared to my 2.7L with stock 4.30's, I'm runnin 33's and yesterday on a long trip I was gettin just under 16.

blown4runner
02-07-2006, 05:26 PM
What kind of mileage do ya'll get? I realize that there are about a million factors that play a role in gas mileage, but on my 01 Dcab, v6, auto, 48k miles, 32" tires. I'm getting about 15 on the interstate with no load. I've run fuel injection cleaner repeatedly, and I've also got the amsoil filter in the box. Took the elbow off the air box. Is this about right?

Please let me know what you guys are experiencing. I had a S/C model that got 18+ so it seems odd to me that my normal one is not doing so well....

:2cents:
thought: just cause you had a s/c on your previous veh doesn't necessarily mean that it would get worse gas mileage. Your obviously running larger tires and what I would assume is a lift. Now a s/c will burn through gas, especially is you are like me and hard on the throttle, but being naturally aspirated can cause an increase in throttle application to keep speed, etc... And you are right there is a universe of reasons why gas mileage decreases... What were ya getting previously?

Projected
02-07-2006, 05:34 PM
My Taco is stock and I always get 20-22, sometimes I dip to 19 when I have a load (either bikes on the topper rack or dirt bikes in the bed) and drive over 75 on the highway.

I started getting this MPG once my truck hit around 18K mi, before that it was always 17-19.

Vic stuff
02-07-2006, 05:43 PM
i'm sure i don't count in this, lmao since my lil 22R is pushin some 37's

anyway im gettin 13 mpg highway or in town, don't matter, lamo

tacotoy
02-07-2006, 06:13 PM
depends on what gears you have in the rear...... look up your gear code and figure from there. for the size tire you have a stock ratio would be 4.30's. also keep in mind that if you did put bigger tires on that your odometer will be off.... depending on the original gear ratio setup

mitchjw
02-07-2006, 08:26 PM
I'm thinking that I'm going to one check the plugs because the truck is "new" used to me, and I am going to dig into the axle ratios. I've been by the cop miles per hour boxes and have been dead on up to 45mph, not sure what it is at highway speeds. Will do some looking...

I just thought that I would see some better MPG out of my normally aspirated model. Guess that is not the case.

Thanks all...

tacotoy
02-07-2006, 11:58 PM
lol haha those cop boxes aren't that accurate. most use a K band or even an X depending on how cheap.....

mitchjw
02-08-2006, 09:42 AM
So the cop boxes are not much for being accurate huh? Well that shoots that notion all to hell. LOL... No wonder I keep getting tickets. Think that would work as an excuse? Well, I'll hammer away at it. Guess it's like this, no idiot lights on the dash, she runs smootly, just drive it for now....

blown4runner
02-08-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm thinking that I'm going to one check the plugs because the truck is "new" used to me, and I am going to dig into the axle ratios. I've been by the cop miles per hour boxes and have been dead on up to 45mph, not sure what it is at highway speeds. Will do some looking...

I just thought that I would see some better MPG out of my normally aspirated model. Guess that is not the case.

Thanks all...
um not understanding what "dead" means, but your speedo shouldn't be too far off... the difference increases with speed, but at approx 60-70 you should only be about 5 mph off with increasing tire size one inch.

tacotoy
02-08-2006, 07:39 PM
So the cop boxes are not much for being accurate huh? Well that shoots that notion all to hell. LOL... No wonder I keep getting tickets. Think that would work as an excuse? Well, I'll hammer away at it. Guess it's like this, no idiot lights on the dash, she runs smootly, just drive it for now....

yeah they save the more accurate stuff for the radar guns that they use to actually pull you over.

Vic stuff
02-08-2006, 10:11 PM
yeah they save the more accurate stuff for the radar guns that they use to actually pull you over.

seriously if anyone would know that fun fact it would be YOU! lmao

jk

blown4runner
02-08-2006, 10:39 PM

jk
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

tacotoy
02-08-2006, 11:00 PM
um not understanding what "dead" means, but your speedo shouldn't be too far off... the difference increases with speed, but at approx 60-70 you should only be about 5 mph off with increasing tire size one inch.

true but if stock gearing is 3.58's or something like that it could be off quite a bit more...

tacotoy
02-08-2006, 11:01 PM

jk

lol i have used my valuable information to get out of quite a few tickets.... though it seems the easier way is to not be a dipshit in the first place.... go figure

Vic stuff
02-08-2006, 11:13 PM
.... though it seems the easier way is to not be a dipshit in the first place.... go figure

whod of thunk it, lmao

blown4runner
02-08-2006, 11:25 PM
true but if stock gearing is 3.58's or something like that it could be off quite a bit more...
The gearing was changed... ok so I find myself at this point again... I will stop posting before thoroughly understanding everything that has been written... :rolleyes:

blown4runner
02-08-2006, 11:26 PM
lol i have used my valuable information to get out of quite a few tickets.... though it seems the easier way is to not be a dipshit in the first place.... go figure
now remember who was the one who got pulled over by a female police officer doing at least 20 over in Dan's truck with CA plates and got off with a warning... thought I'd remind ya :p

Vic stuff
02-09-2006, 06:51 AM
now remember who was the one who got pulled over by a female police officer doing at least 20 over in Dan's truck with CA plates and got off with a warning... thought I'd remind ya :p

see this right here would never happen to rich, he has asshat written across his forehead when he drives, or he just tells the cop thats hes an idiot and it all it works out, lmao

blown4runner
02-09-2006, 08:47 AM
see this right here would never happen to rich, he has asshat written across his forehead when he drives, or he just tells the cop thats hes an idiot and it all it works out, lmao
LMAO... I think the fact you said this is quite amusing. I basically told the highway patrol officer that I wasn't paying attention and I knew I was driving way to fast, of course this all intermingled with her telling me I was so small driving such a large truck, and other stuff... she was really cool, although it looked like she could be a total bitch if she wanted... but then again what woman doesn't have that inside them! :cool:

I think Rich has had a stroke of bad luck... maybe he'll get lucky and it'll only last 7 years! :eek:

mitchjw
02-09-2006, 10:07 AM
So what have we determined? Mileage varies, someone is compensating for something small by driving a large truck, and that we're all pretty much too heavy on the gas pedal? Ha Ha Ha....

And here I thought cop boxes might be accurate, that 'dead on' meant right in line with what was being displayed by the cop box, and that overall, my truck ought to be getting more than 15 mpg.

With that, I'm going to change the plugs because I don't have a clue what their condition is as I bought the truck used in Jan. I have put in Amsoil filter, changed all fluids, cleaned the throttle body, tried some fuel injector additives (not sure, but the BG44k seemed to be good), did the deckplate.

Have to do some digging for axle ratio. It is whatever came stock on an 01 Dcab, V6, TRD.

You guys rock!!! Not to mention, ya'll crack me up...

RedRunnertc
02-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Since you are so set to keep us on topic...

Since the truck is "new to you" with unknown service history, changing the O2 sensor might be a good idea. This is on my list of stuff to do...

You may also want to consider giving it a Seafoam treatment to try and clean it out some. Didn't make a mileage improvement in my truck, but did run noticeably smoother.

mitchjw
02-09-2006, 12:30 PM
What in the hell is a seafoam treatment? Sounds like something for my wife's shower.. Ha ha...... Fill me in man....

Yeah, that's true on 02 sensor.... Good call...

tat2dguy01
02-09-2006, 02:03 PM
my g/f bought some the other day from autozone....gas and oil treatment for a number of different things from outboard boat motors to ur truck

tacotoy
02-10-2006, 12:43 AM
So what have we determined? Mileage varies, someone is compensating for something small by driving a large truck, and that we're all pretty much too heavy on the gas pedal? Ha Ha Ha....

And here I thought cop boxes might be accurate, that 'dead on' meant right in line with what was being displayed by the cop box, and that overall, my truck ought to be getting more than 15 mpg.

With that, I'm going to change the plugs because I don't have a clue what their condition is as I bought the truck used in Jan. I have put in Amsoil filter, changed all fluids, cleaned the throttle body, tried some fuel injector additives (not sure, but the BG44k seemed to be good), did the deckplate.

Have to do some digging for axle ratio. It is whatever came stock on an 01 Dcab, V6, TRD.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/index.php/Gear_Codes
check this out for your gear codes..... nothing is for certain for stock stuff though most TRD's have 4.10's which would mean running 31's would be stock. though even if you are in that category you are roughly 5% off... that means that for every 2 miles you go you are short 1/10 of a mile. so do the math when you fill up and you might find that you are getting somewhere closer to 17...

RedRunnertc
02-10-2006, 07:09 AM
http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=64836

tat2dguy01
02-10-2006, 08:08 AM
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm

blown4runner
02-10-2006, 08:46 AM

ya know if ya had any air restriction previously and you done all this stuff to fix that.... that might explain decrease in mileage... More air, for fuel used... ok, nevermind... I am going back to my hole! :p

mitchjw
02-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Okay, after changing all the fluids I could think of, new Denso plugs, running a bottle of BG 44k through it, making sure that the diff was 410's, cleaning the MAF, cleaning the throttle body, taking off the elbow, doing the deckplate, and having the trans powerflushed, checking the tires with chalk, and my new 3" lift all done with alignment. I managed a shade under 20 mpg going from Colorado Springs to Gunnison to Crested Butte and back again.

Thanks for all the input. I'm pretty friggin happy now... Especially since that was all mtn driving and not takin it easy either!

DriftinCO
02-21-2006, 06:34 PM
Did you also change the PCV valve?

tacotoy
02-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Okay, after changing all the fluids I could think of, new Denso plugs, running a bottle of BG 44k through it, making sure that the diff was 410's, cleaning the MAF, cleaning the throttle body, taking off the elbow, doing the deckplate, and having the trans powerflushed, checking the tires with chalk, and my new 3" lift all done with alignment. I managed a shade under 20 mpg going from Colorado Springs to Gunnison to Crested Butte and back again.

Thanks for all the input. I'm pretty friggin happy now... Especially since that was all mtn driving and not takin it easy either!

did you ever figure out your gear ratio? i know mine right now is 9% off... so if i dont recalc for my larger tires then i appear to only get 15-16 mpg... youre running 32's so i am willing to bet that you are hitting more in the mid 20's at least probably 21 mpg.

grntrdtaco
05-30-2006, 01:58 PM
I was getting about 15 mpg in my 2000 v6 tacoma and I did a ton of maintance (so I dont know what made the difference) I have 32" tires, 2" body lift, and 2.5" suspension lift and a shell on the back.

changed the sparkplugs, cleaned the amsoil filter (no deckplate or elbow removal) changed ALL the oils with mobile 1, aired up my tires to 32psi and took off the roof rack (about a 1-2 mpg loss calculated from previous trips)

I just drove from aspen to SLC and back. on the way there I got about 17.5 MPG and on the way back I got 20 MPG, I think the ecu readjsuted a little by the time I drove back). I was driving the speed limit and used cruse control the whole time. I had about 500 lbs of stuff in the back + shell as well.

I got 312 miles on a tank and filled it with 15.5 gal. I have never gotten more than about 275 miles on a tank (and that was really pushing it) in the 74000 miles I have driven the truck.

I am going to see what kind of mileage I get this week to and from work, but hopefully I can get in the 20 mpg range agian

I am also not recalculating for tire size differences

t