: What Spark Plugs??

mitchjw
02-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Okay got the vehicle history and plugs at 48k are original. What plugs are the plugs of choice for normally aspirated V6? What ones are ya'll liking the best? Just go with what book says or is the platinum? Iridium worth the cha ching?? What do you think?????? :confused:

amishclark
02-09-2006, 03:01 PM
oem plugs. do a search. iridium offer no performance gains. they last twice as long, so you don't have to change them but half the time, but they cost twice as much...

blown4runner
02-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Okay got the vehicle history and plugs at 48k are original. What plugs are the plugs of choice for normally aspirated V6? What ones are ya'll liking the best? Just go with what book says or is the platinum? Iridium worth the cha ching?? What do you think?????? :confused:
standard plugs are whats recommended... Every 30k change intervals is whats recommended...

mitchjw
02-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Ait, standard plugs it is...

DriftinCO
02-09-2006, 08:40 PM
yep, NGK or nippendenso plugs with dual electrodes are what to use. it's an easy change, but i'm happy to help.

MrZuhalter
02-17-2006, 12:28 AM
I've been running NGK plugs and i've liked them a lot. I've also upgraded my electrical system too so I might be enjoying the gains from that instead of just the plugs, but I'd say it's worth the $$.

DriftinCO
02-21-2006, 06:31 PM
did you get the plugs changed yet? I did a set over the weekend, easy to do, I have all the tools in my garage...yeah, can you believe that? lol

tacotoy
02-21-2006, 07:34 PM
i wonder if they make stainless steel plugs lol

mitchjw
02-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Thanks Brian... Got em done. Bought some of that CRC QD electronics cleaner for the MAF sensor too. Got er running right... Thanks very much for the invite just the same!!!

JeffVanWyk
05-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Just a quick question:

OEM plugs are just fine for the non-s/c 3.4L. What about the supercharged one?

Yesterday my wife and I were driving on I-25 from Denver to Colo Spgs, and going up Monument Hill, it just woudn't accelerate! Punching the pedal down (Gas, not brake) and it downshifted, we heard a popping/pinging sound combined with some hesitation, and then it stumbled big time then the infamous "Check the engine you idiot! light" started flashing, then it stayed on until I pulled over and shut it down.

I talked to Will Corder (thanks for the help) and we figured I'd check the plugs. They're a Denso K16...something or other. The body of the plugs were so brown I think from just aging, I couldn't read much more. The plugs tips were kinda chared, greyish, dry, no oil or anything. Not sure what it did, but it sure didn't like accelerating!

I'm running 91octane too, so I don't understand it! My wife thinks we should trade the TRD Supercharger in for a winch and a bumper, but I kinda like the power that the S/C gives. Not quite sure as to what caused it, everything else checks out just fine.

Any input would be appreciated, and if you have more than .02 worth, I'll take it too!
-Jeff

tacotoy
05-08-2006, 09:13 PM
sounds like fuel hesitation to me..... especially going up monument. you should try cleaning out your MAF sensor too.

Vic stuff
05-08-2006, 09:20 PM
i wonder if they make stainless steel plugs lol

dude you have a disease, lol

DriftinCO
05-09-2006, 05:57 AM
When where the plugs last changed?

JeffVanWyk
05-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Noobie error....shouldn't have posted a question inside someone elses original post. Sorry about that!

tacotoy
05-09-2006, 05:50 PM
dude you have a disease, lol

lol so what? i hate rust and painting stuff lol

JeffVanWyk
05-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Hell, I love removing rust and then painting stuff! Its what I love to do! This S/C thing with the pinging/hesitation is driving me nuts! Anyone want to trade a supercharger for a winch and a bumper??? I'm open for suggestions!

tacotoy
05-09-2006, 07:37 PM
ill trade you my stock intake for your supercharger lol

JeffVanWyk
05-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Hmm...I'll consider trades, as my wife uses the truck for her daily driver. Stock intake, thats it? Hmm...costly trade I think. Got any other goodies that you can throw in there to sweeten the pot?

tacotoy
05-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Hmm...I'll consider trades, as my wife uses the truck for her daily driver. Stock intake, thats it? Hmm...costly trade I think. Got any other goodies that you can throw in there to sweeten the pot?

what else are you looking for? haha i cant make it too sweet as i still would have to buy some injectors so i dont have the same problem as you lol

tat2dguy01
05-11-2006, 06:22 AM
Just a quick question:

OEM plugs are just fine for the non-s/c 3.4L. What about the supercharged one?

Yesterday my wife and I were driving on I-25 from Denver to Colo Spgs, and going up Monument Hill, it just woudn't accelerate! Punching the pedal down (Gas, not brake) and it downshifted, we heard a popping/pinging sound combined with some hesitation, and then it stumbled big time then the infamous "Check the engine you idiot! light" started flashing, then it stayed on until I pulled over and shut it down.

I talked to Will Corder (thanks for the help) and we figured I'd check the plugs. They're a Denso K16...something or other. The body of the plugs were so brown I think from just aging, I couldn't read much more. The plugs tips were kinda chared, greyish, dry, no oil or anything. Not sure what it did, but it sure didn't like accelerating!

I'm running 91octane too, so I don't understand it! My wife thinks we should trade the TRD Supercharger in for a winch and a bumper, but I kinda like the power that the S/C gives. Not quite sure as to what caused it, everything else checks out just fine.

Any input would be appreciated, and if you have more than .02 worth, I'll take it too!
-Jeff

a thought came to mind while i was reading another post...check the knock sensor!

Vic stuff
05-11-2006, 06:45 AM
lol so what? i hate rust and painting stuff lol

was just statin facts here brother! lmao