TTORA Forum banner

1999/2000 landcruiser ?'s

7K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  calamaridog 
#1 ·
I am looking @ buying my buddies landcruiser. Is the 99/00 year model a good one? How much hp and tq in the v8. What are common problems with this year? What do I need to look for. It is way clean and never even been on a dirt road... I don't think the locker has ever been used, is that a prob?
Thanks
snowpilot

#2 ·
snowpilot,

Common problems with 99's are cracked exhaust manifolds. The other problem is the front diff is 2 pinion instead of 4 pinion. The 2 pinion diff is prone to breaking easier. 00+ have the 4 pinon diff and all replacement diffs from Toyota are the 4 pinion unit. You can source a 4 pinion diff from a junk yard for relatively cheap as insurance.

The UZJ100 Land Cruisers are great. The 98 and 99 came with a factory rear locker. Most 99's also have rear a/c. The 00+ vehicles have VSC and TRAC instead of the rear locker.

You can run 285 75r16 or 305 70r16 (metric 33's) tires on the stock suspension without rubbing. You can run 315 75r16 (metric 35's) tires on 2" of lift without rubbing.

The locker should be fine. Test it out. If you want a vehicle inspection I recommend sleeoffroad.com for a pre-purchase inspection. They are the #1 100 series experts in the U.S. They also sell bumpers, sliders, and suspension goodies for the 100 series vehicles.

BTW, what is the mileage?

These are great vehicles. I highly recommend that your visit our 100 series forum at ih8mud.com and do a search for any specific questions you have.

I will also be happy to answer any additional specific questions you have too.

#4 ·
The exhaust manifolds are not real easy to inspect. Look at them with a bright light from the top and unbolt the skid plate and engine under-cover and look at them from the bottom too.

I highly recommend a professional vehicle inspection by a reputable Toyota shop. Slee would definitely fit this category, especially for an 80 or 100 series! I doubt the vehicle will have many problems at only 55,000 mi. though.

Quick replies are easy when I'm sitting at work, bored:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.