: Best mud tire for street driving

NC's BeefTaco
01-14-2005, 09:49 PM
I was just wondering what the best tire for performance in the mud and for handling and wear on the street would be. I'm looking at BFG's, Firestone, Goodyear, and super swampers. But I'm open to suggestions. Thanx. :welder:

afcajun
01-14-2005, 10:35 PM
Pro comp x-terrains are best of both worlds for me. Check them out if you want.

SilverTaco
01-14-2005, 10:44 PM
I was just wondering what the best tire for performance in the mud and for handling and wear on the street would be. I'm looking at BFG's, Firestone, Goodyear, and super swampers. But I'm open to suggestions. Thanx. :welder:

First BFG's and the Goodyears are going to be the best. If you want just good looks go with Goodyear. They wear really good and do good off road but they dont do mud too good. BFG wear really good and also will go through more than the Goodyears as far a muddin goes.
Swampers are excellent off road but not on
I dont know about Firestone

TacoCrazy
01-14-2005, 11:07 PM
I've had great results from my BFG's...Just my .02

Bryanccfshr
01-14-2005, 11:16 PM
Street tires and mud tires are completely different requirements, so what you are asking for is the best compromise. This will be niether a stellar performer in mud or on the street but should perform adequately enough to get you by with good wear and safety on the stret and not leting you look silly on an easy slightly greasy trail.
My vote is for this compromise is the BFG MT. A compriomise radial tire.

YoTRacer158
01-15-2005, 12:01 AM
i have BFG MT's and they're pretty good on the street...they dont have the best wet traction for stop lights, but with the supercharger it's hard to keep any tire from spinning when it's wet

Mez
01-15-2005, 01:09 AM
My BFG MT's have been great to me, no complaints, even on 1000mi trips :D

dougtrd
01-15-2005, 07:35 AM
Love my Goodyear MTRs...I have about 10k miles on em and the look pretty much new, some say theyre not so great in the mud, but I have had nooooooooooo problem in mud that other trucks have been buried in. Road manners are OK, about what you woud expect from an MT, and not too noisy, but I must admit that I like the hum of nobby tires goin down the road :cool:

01tacoTRD
01-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Definitely go with the BFG's. After that Goodyear, Firestone, then Swampers dead last.

Spenc121886
01-15-2005, 12:09 PM
my vote is for the BFG's also

CKAK11
01-15-2005, 12:35 PM
I Like The Dunlop Mud Rovers, Much Cheaper Then All Of The Tires Mentioned So Far, Look Great And Last Long, Decent Highway Ride And Great Off Road.

Toyo4x4
01-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Pro comp x-terrains are best of both worlds for me. Check them out if you want.

Do you have any pictures of your setup? I'm actually thinking of running these tires next time around. They get pretty decent reviews, and they are certainly not common around here. The only thing that I'm drawn back about, is that their price generally seems a bit steep. How is the tread life? Any balancing/vibration issues (other than typical M/T vibes)?

YoTRacer158
01-15-2005, 08:05 PM
Do you have any pictures of your setup? I'm actually thinking of running these tires next time around. They get pretty decent reviews, and they are certainly not common around here. The only thing that I'm drawn back about, is that their price generally seems a bit steep. How is the tread life? Any balancing/vibration issues (other than typical M/T vibes)?

my buddy has xterrains on his f250 and he gets stuck in stuff that gives me no trouble...they dont clean as well as the BFG MT's and pack up real bad

afcajun
01-15-2005, 08:36 PM

Sure do..i currently have about 13,000 miles on them and show minimal if any wear, i hear people talking about how you have to compromise between street and mud tires when i'm here with mine and the only compromise i feel you have to make is more road noise than stock. I don't notice any difference in handling besides the difference from switching from a 31 to a 35 inch tires on a small truck. the difference is very very minimal besides the extra road noise...i can still weave in a out of traffic as if i still had my stock tires on. All around great tire so far, i really never expected a mud tire to be like this...balenced perfectly and does not give the typical mud tire problems...they may be a little higher priced but if your looking for a mud tire that will perform in the mud and on the highway and look great on your truck at the same time then you'll have to pay a little more...i bought three and got one free, you might want to wait around for a sale like that because pro comp likes to run them often. Anyways you be the judge this is just my openion. It won't let me post any pics, i never did that before but it's giving me a limit of 19.0K and my pic is bigger. I know i'be seen pics larger than that on here before if anyone can help let me know.

afcajun
01-15-2005, 08:59 PM
my buddy has xterrains on his f250 and he gets stuck in stuff that gives me no trouble...they dont clean as well as the BFG MT's and pack up real bad

Well they never fail to get me through the thick stuff, maybe it's because my taco is lighter and i'm getting lots better floation than that F-250, unless he's running really really huge tires because that's a really heavy truck! I can clean them out if needed with a little wheel spin, i don't see how you can say they pack up that bad. Anyways I have had lots of experience with mud being from Louisiana and all and feel that this tire is a good compromise between mud tire and street tire, I don't have an ounce of problems with them balancing or wearing unevenly, and that's what the origional post requested, 13,000 miles and holding up great, like i said minimal wear at the most. They are no boggers or ground hawgs but they haven't let me down yet...we'll see how they hold up in the long run as i was skeptical at first when i bought them having no prior experience with them...I'll be upgrading to boggers for my mudding tires when i move back to Louisiana for the simple fact that they are mudding monsters and not much will touch them in the mud...but i'll be running these babies on the street for the plain and simple fact that are trouble free and handle nicely. That's my openion and everyone is entitled to their own.

tacoted
01-15-2005, 10:23 PM
I have had BFGs and SSRs, and I would say that the BFGs would be a good compromise. The SSRs are FAR superior to the BFGs and ride about the same, but wear more quickly. Now, my opinion is the cheapest mud tires are the best. Unless you go with swampers. I am looking at buckshots or dunlops. I have had 2 sidewall flats with my BFGs, and that is what they claim is so great about their tires. Might as well save the $$ and get a comparable tire for less. Just my opinion.

03trdblack
01-15-2005, 11:38 PM
I had the super swamper TrXus tires and the BFG M/T's. The TrXus started out good, but then sucked after about 10,000 miles. The lugs started to seperate from the tires on all four tires. I got them replaced for free and got the BFG's. They were extremely good on the highway for a mudder. I was happy with them. Unfortunatly I didn't get to keep them for their entire lifespan so I don't know how they acted after about 15,000 miles.

A lot of guys like the Goodyear MT/R on here, but I haven't ever had the opportunity to try it....too expensive for me.

KenRiceHilo
01-16-2005, 02:44 AM
I've had the Pro Comp xterrains and had lots of problems with balancing, getting even wear and extreme vibrations. For me, they worked well on rocks and loose rocks/shale but performed poorly in mud. After 20K miles I switched to BFGs and I could not be happier. I feel the BFGs are superior on road (noise, vibration, handling), on rocks and in mud when compared to the xterrains.

SilverTaco
01-16-2005, 11:46 AM
4Wheel Mag did a 31in mud tire comparison. Same 86 Toyoyta truck and same mud. They would go right next to eack rut to keep equal playing fields so the tires touched fresh mud.
In last were Xterrains and MTR's only went about 16 feet in.
Then they had Trxus and BFG's. Dont recall how far those went but BFG went farther
Also BAJA Claws and TSL Radials went the farthest with the TSL's beating the Claws by a few feet. Both tires went beyond the 50ft mark.

Straigh out of the MAGAZINE so dont bash me saying i dont know what im talking about. I have no experience with these tires....just repeating the results of there test.
I personally have dunlop mud rovers and the have 10000miles on them with 75% tread left on them. Cheap too.

afcajun
01-16-2005, 12:18 PM
I'm not bashing you but i can't see how Baha Claws did so much better being that they are so close in design...i was origionally going to buy those tires but went with radial tires for plain and simple reason that I have to use my truck a lot on the highway. I fugired they couldn't perform that much different in the mud being that they have similar tread pattern as the x-terrains. But from my experience like i said these tires perform great in the mud. If you don't believe me anyone is more than welcome to join me if in the area for a day of muddin.

Chadman
01-16-2005, 01:34 PM
Bridgestone deullers are the best road mud. I have BFg muds now cause I could get them in 33x10.5-15 and the look cooler. But the Bridgestones where way better on road and rock. Pretty good in mud too. I had MTr's too but they sucked in mud, and where way to noisy, and hard to balance.

ocmike
01-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Bridgestone deullers are the best road mud. I have BFg muds now cause I could get them in 33x10.5-15 and the look cooler. But the Bridgestones where way better on road and rock. Pretty good in mud too. I had MTr's too but they sucked in mud, and where way to noisy, and hard to balance.

I've been wanting to try the bridgestones, I haven't heard anything bad about them yet. They are always more expensive then the MTR's though so I keep going with them instead.

Bryanccfshr
01-16-2005, 04:01 PM
I've been wanting to try the bridgestones, I haven't heard anything bad about them yet. They are always more expensive then the MTR's though so I keep going with them instead.
I am using one as a spare.

To all of you recomending directional tires.. I have them and here is a though...How do I get a matching spare? I don't I have to get something else. If you get 5 non-directionals you can have 5 sets and rotate them into the driving tires. lLonger wear and if you do tear one up on the trail you are not driving with an odd tire to get home. Just a thoought on the good performingBaja claws and the x-terrains.. They ride and drive nice on the stret and mine do very well offroad, but I would not do it again for the above reasons.

afcajun
01-16-2005, 04:12 PM
I am using one as a spare.

To all of you recomending directional tires.. I have them and here is a though...How do I get a matching spare? I don't I have to get something else. If you get 5 non-directionals you can have 5 sets and rotate them into the driving tires. lLonger wear and if you do tear one up on the trail you are not driving with an odd tire to get home. Just a thoought on the good performingBaja claws and the x-terrains.. They ride and drive nice on the stret and mine do very well offroad, but I would not do it again for the above reasons.

Which do you have the Baha Claws or the X-Terrains? If you have the Claws how do they handle on the road for you? How do they wear? Banlance well? Bias Belted or Radial? Thanks...just wondering.

Bryanccfshr
01-16-2005, 04:36 PM
I have the Claw Radials in 33x 12.5. They have been on my truck for almost two years now and I have tons of tread left. I drive rather gently on the street but these have seen a variety of uses, sand, mud, and granite.

They have maintained balnce since new. Like any aggressive tire they will ride rough at low speeds from the lugs, and if you have road irregularities you have to be alert, ones a side lug latches on they like to climb uphill Lets' say if you have rutted pavement from heavy traffic, Hold on to the wheel.

At highway speeds they ride as smooth as an AT but louder. No shimmy or shakes in my experience. Good tires other than the intrinsiclogistical problems of running directionals. If you run gravel or shell road you should use caution with these tires, they pick up golf ball size stones and fling them far. Check them before pavement driving after excursions offroad.

upwithit
01-16-2005, 04:50 PM
wild country rvt.

afcajun
01-16-2005, 04:51 PM
I have the Claw Radials in 33x 12.5. They have been on my truck for almost two years now and I have tons of tread left. I drive rather gently on the street but these have seen a variety of uses, sand, mud, and granite.

They have maintained balnce since new. Like any aggressive tire they will ride rough at low speeds from the lugs, and if you have road irregularities you have to be alert, ones a side lug latches on they like to climb uphill Lets' say if you have rutted pavement from heavy traffic, Hold on to the wheel.

At highway speeds they ride as smooth as an AT but louder. No shimmy or shakes in my experience. Good tires other than the intrinsiclogistical problems of running directionals. If you run gravel or shell road you should use caution with these tires, they pick up golf ball size stones and fling them far. Check them before pavement driving after excursions offroad.
Sounds exactly like my X-Terrains as far as highway handeling. Thanks a lot thats what iI wanted to know.

xcmountain80
01-16-2005, 10:22 PM
The Pro Comp Mt's Aren't bad either I have 35's on my scout.

Aaron

calamaridog
01-16-2005, 11:09 PM

LOL your buddy's truck weighs twice as much as yours, but it's got to be the tires right :rolleyes:

calamaridog
01-16-2005, 11:14 PM

The Firestone Destination MTs are have basically the same technology as the Bridgestones but they have more aggressive sidewalls. Also they are much cheaper. Neither brand comes larger than 33"...

afcajun
01-16-2005, 11:39 PM
LOL your buddy's truck weighs twice as much as yours, but it's got to be the tires right :rolleyes:
HAHA yea i said that in a post i edited because what i wrote was too rude. But thanks for stating that. I been reading some mud tire reviews and some praise this and that tire and then you switch magazines and they bash the same tire the other magazine praises...it's all situational i guess. Lots of variables to consider when testing tires but at least they tested on the same vehical...as opposed to a taco and an F 250. I say run what you want, go as aggressive as you feel you can handle if its a daily driver, looking at the tread you can pretty much tell how much noise they will make. Other than that if it works for you great. If not upgrade to Boggers and deal with the noise...lol

calamaridog
01-17-2005, 12:36 AM
HAHA yea i said that in a post i edited because what i wrote was too rude. But thanks for stating that. I been reading some mud tire reviews and some praise this and that tire and then you switch magazines and they bash the same tire the other magazine praises...it's all situational i guess. Lots of variables to consider when testing tires but at least they tested on the same vehical...as opposed to a taco and an F 250. I say run what you want, go as aggressive as you feel you can handle if its a daily driver, looking at the tread you can pretty much tell how much noise they will make. Other than that if it works for you great. If not upgrade to Boggers and deal with the noise...lol

Not trying to be "rude" per say, but still, it's like comparing apples to pineapples. I'm starting to lean toward running AT's on the street and picking up some cheap MT's for my spare rims. If I'm going to wheel hard, I'll swap them out. Might take me what, 40 minutes per trip. They'll last years!

corym52
01-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Afcajun- what part of Louisiana are you from?

farakon
01-17-2005, 11:12 AM
has anyone had any experience with the dayton timberline mt?

afcajun
01-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Afcajun- what part of Louisiana are you from?

Little town called Galliano Louisiana, it's about 60 miles south of New Orleans...right in the middle of the swamp lol...it's right nearby some other small towns that might ring a bell, every hear of Golden Meadow, or Cut Off, or Larose. Anyways it's along to way to get to Grand Isle, people that don't recognise the other town names usually recognise Grand Isle.

afcajun
01-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Not trying to be "rude" per say, but still, it's like comparing apples to pineapples. I'm starting to lean toward running AT's on the street and picking up some cheap MT's for my spare rims. If I'm going to wheel hard, I'll swap them out. Might take me what, 40 minutes per trip. They'll last years!

No, no man i wasn't saying you were being rude...i'm saying the post i typed was very rude...i had just gotton back from the bar and my choice of words wasn't exactly the best. So they next morning when i woke up i read it and changed it. lol Oh and yea that's my plan too, to run these x-terrains till they are bald for street use but get me a set of boggers for muddin.

obex26
01-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Check out the nitto mud grappler tires. No one has done a review on them yet I do not know what the life span expectancy is but the price seems reasonable at least for 15 and 16 inch wheels.

cheez
01-17-2005, 10:30 PM
I just bought some Bridgestone Dueler M/T's from Costco. I agonized over which M/T to get and it seemed like these kicked butt plus I wanted to try something other than BF's. I'll let ya know what I think after I get them mounted this weekend.

equin
01-18-2005, 12:07 AM
I have 32" BFG MT's on my Prerunner and 33" Pro Comp mud terrains on my 93 Ford Bronco. The BFG's seem to be wearing less than the Pro Comps, but the Pro Comps have siping in the tread that allows for better wet traction. The slightly higher wear on the Pro Comps could also be due to the fact that the Bronco weighs a whole lot more than the Prerunner. Other than that, I can't really tell the difference between the two on the street. Off-road, I can't really compare since the Prerunner is 2wd with locked rear and the Bronco is 4wd open at both ends.

Hope this helps.

imatt
01-18-2005, 12:52 PM
I Like The Dunlop Mud Rovers, Much Cheaper Then All Of The Tires Mentioned So Far, Look Great And Last Long, Decent Highway Ride And Great Off Road.

I like my Kumho's as well. They are almost identical to the Dunlops - plus they're extremely cheap.

NC's BeefTaco
01-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Thanx for all the help guys. I learned a lot and now I just have to get some sizing issues squared away. Thanx again. :welder:

TOYOTA
01-18-2005, 07:39 PM
I used Bridgestone Dueler MT's 31-10.5-15 on 8 inch rims for about 15,000 miles.They were great ON and OFF road.

Nelium
01-18-2005, 07:42 PM
The Firestone Destination MTs are have basically the same technology as the Bridgestones but they have more aggressive sidewalls. Also they are much cheaper. Neither brand comes larger than 33"...

I agree. I love my destinations. They also look great to go along with all the other stuff. Get great wear, VERY smooth ride (for a mud), GREAT traction.

not2XS
01-18-2005, 09:44 PM
Some people may not have noticed a compromise in street performance of mud tires, but I did. I went from 31" Wrangler GSA's that came stock to 31" BFG MT-TAs, so I can't comment on any of the others, but the BFG's are generally highly regarded and a 'moderate' mud tire.

The original GSA's would spin quite easily on wet pavement (without a supercharger), more so than I expected. The MT's spin even more easily on wet pavement. There are winding mountain roads that I drive near my home. When pushed even slightly in the turns (dry pavement), the MTs are noticeably more squidgy (at varied tire pressures), and road-holding is definitely less sure.

Not that I'm complaining, I get WAY better off-road performance, and it is an off-road truck. But there is definitely a compromise on-road.

SilverTaco
01-19-2005, 09:06 AM
I'm not bashing you but i can't see how Baha Claws did so much better being that they are so close in design...i was origionally going to buy those tires but went with radial tires for plain and simple reason that I have to use my truck a lot on the highway. I fugired they couldn't perform that much different in the mud being that they have similar tread pattern as the x-terrains. But from my experience like i said these tires perform great in the mud. If you don't believe me anyone is more than welcome to join me if in the area for a day of muddin.

Oh i wasnt saying it to you...i just know that someone would chime in and say my bald (name of tire here) would go thorugh mud that was up to my windows and i never got stuck so you dont know what your talking about....thats why i had to make it clear i was just repeating there test. its like asking if 33's will rub with a 3 in lift. It opens a can of worms. I believe if you say they do good they must. I dont know why anyone would lie about how good there tires do in the mud. Im sure in LA yall have that goo thats like slop. Here in GA its mostly clay, i have to spin the hell out of my tires to get that to throw out......so what will clean out in one tire over there might not clean out over here. Around me the thing to use is a Swamper. I cant tell someone what will work and what wont since the only MT i have had is the MUD Rovers.

afcajun
01-19-2005, 02:58 PM
Oh i wasnt saying it to you...i just know that someone would chime in and say my bald (name of tire here) would go thorugh mud that was up to my windows and i never got stuck so you dont know what your talking about....thats why i had to make it clear i was just repeating there test. its like asking if 33's will rub with a 3 in lift. It opens a can of worms. I believe if you say they do good they must. I dont know why anyone would lie about how good there tires do in the mud. Im sure in LA yall have that goo thats like slop. Here in GA its mostly clay, i have to spin the hell out of my tires to get that to throw out......so what will clean out in one tire over there might not clean out over here. Around me the thing to use is a Swamper. I cant tell someone what will work and what wont since the only MT i have had is the MUD Rovers.
Well we got that blackjack clay mud in Louisiana if you start to dig sometimes that's what you hit...sometimes that's what's on top...if your out back near the marsh it's slopy mud with no bottom whatsoever, when there's a bottom your golden...when there's none your screwed, and when it's blackjack your usually screwd because it can get really soft as well as sticky and no bottom...you just have to know where you are around the marsh...it's always silt and never sandy, never a coarse texture or even close to it, it's all sediments from the mississippi that made all the land down there...that's y i have to get some boggers...these tires i got now will clog in blackjack i'm sure it'll take a hell of a lot to clean them out, not easy like mud where i wheel now...my ATV had Blackwater tires which have voids in them larger than any tire on a truck and they cloged in blackjack...for normal mud thats sticky but not so much clay these tires i got now clean themselves, but every tire has it's limits...point being the origional question "What's a good mud tire for the street" this would be a good canidate, and this isn't the only one and it most probably isn't the best one, but it's a good one. Well three more weeks and I will be able to tell anyone how these stand up the the stickest of the icky....mud that is...

Toyo4x4
01-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the pictures, too by the way, they were very helpful.

afcajun
01-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the pictures, too by the way, they were very helpful.

Keep an eye out, I'll try to post some pics once i get my bent tube winch bumpers on and my sliders. Should be here the end of this week as long as the guy shipped it all out on time. I know I will freeze but i am going to do whatever it takes to get them on this weekend lol...wish my garage had a heater!

Wgasa84
01-19-2005, 03:33 PM
I love my BFG muds. pretty quite on the road, great in the mud that I have been in (water up to the bumpers, mud 3/4 the way up the 33's.

Wgasa84
01-19-2005, 03:36 PM

LOL i've seen how that guy drives too.... always a good show. He tends to like to bend something... maybe a tierod? :)

FlatFatTaco
01-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Dont know if you would be interested, but im also in North Carolina and gonna have some 36x12.5x15 TSL radials for sale shortly. 4 of the tires have 60% tread left, one has a plug, it was from a small nail. the 5th tire (spare) is brand new, still has the nipples on it. Email me at jwwalsh@ncsu.edu if you are intersted.
Im looking to get 400 for the entire set.

they are radials, so they do balance out ok, and have served me well, im just in a position where i have to drive way to many highway miles to keep them! Im gonna buy a small set of street tires, and maybe by some off roading tires later.

Thanks!
Joshua W. Walsh

Dick Foster
01-20-2005, 01:50 PM
I had a set of Xterrains once. They were the worst excuse for tires that I've ever had. I could not wait to get the pieces of shit off of my truck. The sucked in the mud, they sucked on the pavement and they sucked out loud in the rocks. And that was just for a set of 31 X 12.50's. The two sets of SSRs that I had before were better off road but wore about the same and had about equal street manners as the XTerrains and that isn't saying much. The Goodyear MTRs that I have now are the best of the lot but I do mostly rocks. For mud you can do better than MTRs. I think the long term opinion of the board is that for mostly mud wheeling, good street manners and good mileage the best bet is the Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM.

BTW In a magazine tire test for mud performance, the XTerrains came in dead last against all of the other tires tested, including MTRs. I was surprised because I had expected them to do better.

afcajun
01-20-2005, 03:29 PM
I had a set of Xterrains once. They were the worst excuse for tires that I've ever had. I could not wait to get the pieces of shit off of my truck. The sucked in the mud, they sucked on the pavement and they sucked out loud in the rocks. And that was just for a set of 31 X 12.50's. The two sets of SSRs that I had before were better off road but wore about the same and had about equal street manners as the XTerrains and that isn't saying much. The Goodyear MTRs that I have now are the best of the lot but I do mostly rocks. For mud you can do better than MTRs. I think the long term opinion of the board is that for mostly mud wheeling, good street manners and good mileage the best bet is the Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM.

BTW In a magazine tire test for mud performance, the XTerrains came in dead last against all of the other tires tested, including MTRs. I was surprised because I had expected them to do better.

Ok...I won't be rude, and I won't call you a lier, everyone is entitled to their own openion...what i will say though is for anyone interested in these tires to take what anyone says about them with a grain of salt. I just had an amazing day of mudboggin and these tires did not let me down once...as i sat here and typed my first reply i was still pulling mud off my face from washing the truck off at the car wash. Wish i had a video camera because I would go back tomarrow just to film and let you all make your own decision of how much these tires work or don't work in the mud. I know exactly how good they work but hey, that's my word against someone else...you decide...try them out. And when you do try out a size that will actually do some good in the mud on a taco...i would say try 35" and up, but if your not running that big go with what you got. Just don't try to compare the performance of 31" tires to 35" it's two different dawgs.

03trdblack
01-20-2005, 04:03 PM
Yea well you should have been with us today, I believe some word eating would be in order. I am not going to call you a lier but I find it very hard to believe you owned these tires. Especially saying that they are awful on the road. I do believe that the MTR's you have would ride better on the road but i find it very hard to believe they would do better in the mud...real sloppy sticky mud. But then again that's just me talking...I'm about to give up on this thread because there's always going to be someone like this. If you haven't ACTUALLY used the tire in REAL mud then you will never know...you tell me where you have real mud in your area...you say you mostly rock climb well you tell me where there is real mud around rocks...i bet you are full of that sandy water crap you call mud.

Oh yea one more thing, how in the hell do you expect to get through any simi sticky soft mud with nothing more than 31's?

Go ahead I'm just dying to hear your reply.

Whoa killer.....each is entitled to their own opinions.

NC's BeefTaco
01-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Dont know if you would be interested, but im also in North Carolina and gonna have some 36x12.5x15 TSL radials for sale shortly. 4 of the tires have 60% tread left, one has a plug, it was from a small nail. the 5th tire (spare) is brand new, still has the nipples on it. Email me at jwwalsh@ncsu.edu if you are intersted.
Im looking to get 400 for the entire set.

they are radials, so they do balance out ok, and have served me well, im just in a position where i have to drive way to many highway miles to keep them! Im gonna buy a small set of street tires, and maybe by some off roading tires later.

Thanks!
Joshua W. Walsh

Thanks for the offer man. Sounds like a good deal. But I need some 33's for street manners. But I know some guys who run big tires, so I'll tell them about it and if they need them, I'll let u know. Thanx. :cool:

afcajun
01-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Whoa killer.....each is entitled to their own opinions.

Your right, i just get irritated, i re-worded my last post...the guy in the begining asked for a good street tire that performs well in the mud and i know for a fact that these do them both well. The performance of his 31s may have sucked, i don't know, but i know for a fact that the 35's i have work great. If i wouldn't own these but only seen the things i have put my truck through i would still feel as strongly about it. When people bash stuff that i know is good i will state my openion. If these suck so much y are so many rock crawling buggies running them? I personally don't have any experience with rocks so i will NOT comment on that. To each their own. I'm done with this thread, just hate it when because of a few people saying something sucks, especially something new, everyone jumps on the bandwagon, and that's what i was trying to prevent. This is a perfectly good product...a little pricy, but still all in all good product.

Dick Foster
01-21-2005, 01:09 PM
How many different off road tires have you bought and run off road on a daily driver? That is where I got my opinion and impression from, actual long term use and not just from one brand of tires or one wheeling trip. You see, I've been around for a while and try to be objective. BTW a friend of mine had a set of 35's XTerrains on his F150. They cupped, wouldn't balance worth squat, wore like erasers and did poorly off road when compared to other brands and treads. The exact same experience I had with them. I've know some other folks that had the same experience with them too. The point of this club it to try and help folks, not just pump what you happen to own. I made a mistake when I bought the damn things and let everyone know so they would not do the same. So put a bandage on your bruised ego and try to be as objective and helpful as you can while keeping an open mind.

afcajun
01-21-2005, 03:03 PM
I moved my argument to PM because this is between me and the guy calling me out. No need to involve all of you. Plain and simple, there is no need for me to prove myself, i have nothing to show off about, my truck is damn near stock. It's IFS, and has nothing more than bigger tires and a lift, what do i have to prove? Nothing...all I wish to say is that i don't base my openion on only owning this brand of tire. I have owned many and driven extensivly on many a brand on the highway, off road, and towing, not only that but on many a different truck model and brand, raised on a farm down in south louisiana mudding all my life. These tires aren't God's gift to mudding, but they work in mud and do well on the highway. That's all I ever said. I won't be called a lier, nor someone who bases his openions off of one experience with one tire and tries to defend it because he owns it...that's just not me.

And I also won't hold a grudge agains a brand just because i don't like them, this argument is almost like a guy who loves chevy and nothing else because his dad owned one or because they had a ford break on them so they are anti ford or any other brand for that matter for the rest of their lives...you can't believe everythign you see on TV man.

cheez
01-21-2005, 03:14 PM
I just got my 265/75/16 Bridgestone Deuler M/T's mounted yesterday. I am really impressed with the street handling and they don't put off much noise. I'll find out how they do in the mud & snow tomorrow :D

03trdblack
01-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Holy Crap!!!! :eek:

afcajun
01-21-2005, 03:26 PM
I just hate being called a lier or a no experience newbie. Oh yea X-Terrains are the bomb cause i run them!!! lol give me a break like i'm that stupid.

Dick Foster
01-21-2005, 04:45 PM
I don't belive I called you a liar but you do seem to be pretty upset about it all for some reason. From every other person I know who have had those tires, they hated them and that includes me. Even a Magazine said as much and they rarely knock anything. If you do much street driving with them, I bet you get something like 20K out of the set. About on a par with SSRs. That is if the cupping doesn't get to you first. They may be better now, I don't know. I heard that they had changed to a softer rubber compound since I had my set to try and get them to stick in the rocks better. However, to me that sounds like even less street mileage. I have already wasted my money on their tires once already and don't care to repeat. At least they should have done a little more testing before getting into the customers wallet. That means I really don't think much of them as a company in general so don't trust them now. There mud terrain tires look like they may do well, but from about 10 feet away, they look like MTR or BFG MT knock offs as the XTerrain is what amounts to a poor MT Baja Claw knock off. However, you keep yammering on about how well they did for you in the mud in spite of an objective comparison test where they did come in dead last. Hell they even used a Toyota pickup in the test but not a Tacoma. Rememer too that the guy asked for a tire with good mud and pavement balance. I don't think the piss poor mileage, cupping, crappy balance and noise was my imagination. After all I had just removed my second set of SSRs so didn't have very high standards of comparison to begin with regards street performance. We all know that swampers are known for shitty street manners and rapid wear. However, the XTerrains were as bad if not worse than the SSRs on pavement. Indeed, they were worse from a cupping standpoint.

Tell ya what though. I know how to settle this. I'll put up for a set of the BFG MTs for him to try and you put up for a set of the XTerrains. He runs both sets for lets say 10K miles each. He pays for the mount and balance for both, after all he's getting 10K miles for free. In the end, he keeps and pays, -10K miles, for the set he likes best but sends the set he didn't like to the buyer/backer. Remember now, I have no use for BFG MTs as I prefer 35" MTRs for the rocks. On the other hand, the only bad thing that could possibly happen to you is that you get a set of the tires that you love so much, minus 10K miles. How's that for fair?

afcajun
01-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Well how about you read your PM first of all...then you can come check out my tires with about 13,500 miles on them and compare them to a brand new tire and tell me how much wear has occured...anyone would agree barley none at all...i have no doubts these will surpass the 20K you predicted...will go past that for sure as long as i keep them ligned up and rotate them as needed. As for a magazine test that's GREAT ok so they said they came in dead last good for them...as i said earlier you believe everythign you see on TV then good for you, or in this case everything you read in a magazine...i never ever said they were the BEST...go back and read my post...all i ever said was that they do good in mud and good on street...i seriously think you are under the impression that I am claiming them to be the best damn tire to ever come out of the rubber machine...chill a little...i'm just sugessting a good tire to a guy asking for advice. From my extensive experience i feel these are good tires, from MY EXPERIENCE...if they blow up on me in the next 500 miles i will be the first guy on here telling everyone they blew up, but i would be understanding if someone else came on here and said they had 20,000 miles on them and they are doing great. Oh and yea you may be right maybe the first ones produced were bad, and maybe you and your friends got some out a bad batch i really don't know, but i had good experience with them...still goign strong and sho absolutly no sign of dying anytime soon, barely no wear, balanced great, until otherwise proved to me i will say they are good tires. the guy living next to me right now has a set of 33" X-Terrains on his jeep with a little less miles than i have but not much and he has no issues with his either...i know this because i just talked to him and asked about it because i see him all the time covered in mud and using his jeep as a daily driver.

And as for your test well if i would be rich enough to buy a set of tires for testing i wouldn't be driving around in a taco everyday as my daily driver now would I? I would love too but let's face it I have more important things to do than to fund a pissing contest between tires. Besides i never once bashed BFG MT's, nor would I any other until i tried them. My buddy had them on his Z71 and they looked great and i seen him go through crawfish ponds and mud bogs that were very very tough...but that's no comparison to me and my taco with 200hp now is it...it's was a huge truck and the tires were huge and had a ton of power...i have experience with mostly serious mud tires, like boggers, and ground hawgs, and gumbo mudders, and Swamper TSL's...judging from them and then the BFG AT's that i had i believe that these are a happy mix of each extream...enough said.

afcajun
01-21-2005, 05:32 PM
could possibly happen to you is that you get a set of the tires that you love so much, minus 10K miles.

The only tire i truly love is Boggers, i chose these cause they were new and looked like something to get me around up here till i got back home. Oh and i liked the looks of directionals and MT Baha Claws didn't have a sale at the time.

If you do much street driving with them, I bet you get something like 20K

I drive a 60 mile round trip to work and back every day. 13,500 miles on them and going strong. Never an ounce of trouble with them for street driving.

They may be better now, I don't know

That's correct you don't know...thanks for admiting to it.

[QUOTE]I have already wasted my money on their tires once already and don't care to repeat

No one asked you too.

However, you keep yammering on about how well they did for you in the mud in spite of an objective comparison test where they did come in dead last.

I never said they were the best, but you keep saying I did. I said they do great for me.

Rememer too that the guy asked for a tire with good mud and pavement balance.

And that's all i ever suggested these were.

I'll put up for a set of the BFG MTs for him to try and you put up for a set of the XTerrains.

Yea because my family comes second to a pissing contest you are proposing, even though i never once bashed your BFG MT's. And the military pays me SUCH a GREAT sallary that I can afford this no problem.

cartman308
01-22-2005, 04:41 AM
may i step in between the duel to put in my $.02 for a moment? :o

I'm thinking really hard about trying out a set of Swamper SSRs. They get very mixed reviews about tread wear but the consenus is the kick ass off road, have KILLER looks, and are decent on streets. CLICK HERE FOR A DIFFERENT OPINION OF THE SSRs! (http://mkelly.proboards22.com/index.cgi?board=WheelsTires&action=display&num=1090872169)

here are some genreral conclusions/thoughts i have come to regarding the mixed reviews SSRs are getting.

1. The reviewer doesn't have personal experiance with them. The just hear Super Swamper and relate it to poor trade wear.
2. The reviewer has second hand information from someone that know of a cousin that supposedly had a set of SSRs and they sucked.
3. The reviewer had a set of SSRs on a 3/4 ton truck and abused the hell out of them
4. The reviewer had them on to narrow of a rim (14.5 wide on an 8" rim) and ran extremely low air pressure to keep them from balloning...........lasted just over 10k miles and one blew out..........none had tread left. this was a co-worker. They were also mounted on a full size silverado with 10" of lift. Not a light truck.
5. The reviewer is confusing the SSR with the TSL Radial (or any other swamper for that matter). they are totally different tires. TSL radials are softer and will not last as long as an SSR.

I'm thinking of trying a set out on my Tacoma D-cab. Hopefully a set of 31x10.50s on MT classic II. but may have to settle for stock size on stock rims if i can pony up the cash.

Personally i think if the SSR is mounted on an appropriate rim, air pressure, balancing and rotation are kept up with religiously. then they may last 50k plus. remember this is just what i'm thinking. I have no personal experiance with them.

l8r
cart

NC's BeefTaco
01-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Hey guys!? I appreciate the info. but it's not that serious. I realize that different people need different tires for different circumstances. Some people may run bfg's, some people run goodyear, super swampers, etc. And I bet if you ask any of those guys if their tires were good or bad, they'd give you their honest opinion. But they can only tell you about the tires they've used in their surroundings. Everyone has different situations. So there's no need to argue over the best tire. The best tire can be any and every brand depending on the person and their needs. I really do appreciate everyone's opinion! So, thanx guys. Oh yeah, if Dick Foster still wants to buy me those BFG M/T's for a free 10k trial, I certainly won't complain!LOL!

afcajun
01-22-2005, 01:18 PM
Hey guys!? I appreciate the info. but it's not that serious. I realize that different people need different tires for different circumstances. Some people may run bfg's, some people run goodyear, super swampers, etc. And I bet if you ask any of those guys if their tires were good or bad, they'd give you their honest opinion. But they can only tell you about the tires they've used in their surroundings. Everyone has different situations. So there's no need to argue over the best tire. The best tire can be any and every brand depending on the person and their needs. I really do appreciate everyone's opinion! So, thanx guys. Oh yeah, if Dick Foster still wants to buy me those BFG M/T's for a free 10k trial, I certainly won't complain!LOL!
Well that's the whole misunderstanding...i never said these were the best for anything...just recomended you give them a look cause they are decent...I wish this thread would just end now after all that.

NC's BeefTaco
01-22-2005, 02:53 PM
oh, I know, I'm not arguing anyone's point. I'm saying it's stupid for someone to criticize what somebody else posts whenever they're posting their honest opinion. I seriously doubt you would try to get me to buy some crappy tires.

TacoSaurus Rex
05-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Have you found any good/valid reviews on the Dayton Timberlines?

99TanTaco
05-18-2005, 06:52 PM
Have you found any good/valid reviews on the Dayton Timberlines?
This http://www.broncoii.org/Tech%20Pages/tirereview/ is all I could find for now, it covers several tires, unfortunately it's based on different peoples opinions

Mikevr007
05-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Hey imatt, if you're still following this thread...how do you like the Kumho's? I am looking at the Kumho MT's instead of the BFG MT's because the Kumho's are so much cheaper. I read two reviews in a 4x mag (can't remember which one), and they seemed to like them. I can buy 5 Kumho's for the price of 4 BFG's! But won't if the the Kumhos' aren't any good.
I've had BFG MT's before and liked them and I really like the looks of them.
Thanks.