TTORA Forum banner

1988 FJ62... should I buy?

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  superchiem 
#1 ·
Hello all, hope this is the appropriate place for this question.

I have the opportunity to purchase an '88 FJ62. The engine runs, even though all of the seals need replaced... 210,000 miles. The tranny won't go into reverse, which just recently started, but I'm guessing this means it'll need a new tranny? Needs a new exhaust. A decent amount of body rust... spots around the roof edges, fender well, door edges, the usual places I suppose. It's spent most of its life in Michigan.
The other systems work (electrical, 4wd, etc). The interior is in pretty good shape other than it could probably use new carpet.
Is this thing worth $500? $1000?
I know these aren't as hot of an item as the FJ80s, but I thought it could still be made into a decent rig.
Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
I for one think the FJ60's are a lot more badass than the 80's, I realize they don't have all the power (or all the leather), but they are just straight up trucks. Just saw one in Conn go for $850 on ebay (it was an 89). My cutoff was $700, cause the last thing i need is another vehicle....

#5 ·
i live in ct with an sas taco and bone stock fj62 i bought for 1000$. i put some 33 1050s swampers on it, and beat the living sheeet out of it every day. And its my daily driver. Rusted out body, but i love it like crazy and will love it until the day it dies, which doesn't seem iminent. buy it! no more than 1000$

#7 ·
Recently got a 90 FJ62 for the wife, we both love it, just did a OME lift & 33's, have ARB's and gears, FF rear axle and more going into it soon. The thing that would concern me on the rig you are looking at is the tranny - I've heard from many its a $3500 rebuild for the auto... keep that in mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.