: Most Aggressive Long Wearing Tire

climbdarox
02-15-2006, 06:19 PM
What do you think? I am guessing that the Goodyear MTR do pretty good i had them before...what are those DC ties that the DC around the edges ....just want to get some info before i go and buy new tires...but i want something that will still handle in mud and tough stuff but wears well on the street, right now i have the x-terrain procomps and really like them...i am thinking i might go back to the MTR's though...anyone know i the rubber compound on the MTR is denser than the procomp?

Paul
02-15-2006, 06:21 PM
MT/R's aren't a mud tire. And why are you asking about them if you've had them before.

Oh yeah, your spelling is an abortion of mixmatched letters spewed on my screen.

climbdarox
02-15-2006, 06:25 PM
yes but at least you get the point...what you mean MTRs arent a mud tire i have had them before and have read reviews....what makes you think they arent a mud tire! big nice tread spaces, pretty good at self cleaning too from what i reeemeember :D

Paul
02-15-2006, 06:26 PM
I don't think they are a mud tire because they aren't a fucking mud tire.

AK98Taco
02-15-2006, 06:29 PM
what you mean MTRs arent a mud tire i have had them before and have read reviews....what makes you think they arent a mud tire! big nice tread spaces, pretty good at self cleaning too from what i reeemeember :D

MT/R = Maximum Traction Radial, versus the M/T = mud terrain

My Super Swamper Trxus M/Ts are pretty kickass.

climbdarox
02-15-2006, 06:30 PM
dude their tread patern is almost exactly the same as a bfg mud tire and in fact looks like their tread spacing is even wider! is the bfg mud tire a mud tire?

climbdarox
02-15-2006, 06:32 PM
no dude MTR is maximus traction reinforced check out how they look compared to bfg

here yo (http://www.off-road.com/jeep/reviews/mtr/)

Paul
02-15-2006, 06:33 PM
I don't know which MT/R's you have been looking at, because they don't look anything like BFG MT's.

climbdarox
02-15-2006, 06:34 PM
those are the goodyear wrangler mtrs right...on the right

OR_05Taco
02-15-2006, 06:40 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why do people get so hung up on that name? Because they called them "Maximum Traction" instead of "Mud Terrain" they're not a "mud tire". Well, :bs: . I have had BFG MTs, and currently have MT/Rs, and I can not recall my BFGs being any better in the mud than my MT/Rs are. I have heard other people say the BFGs spank the MT/Rs in mud.... well, I don't know, maybe we just have magic mud here in OR. :confused:

climbdarox
02-15-2006, 06:42 PM
arent all interco tires made from really soft compoud? like i would get the Irocks just cause they look so bad ass and am sure they would perform but are they really soft? the interco mud tires look pretty good to though so do the LTB...anyone have those?

climbdarox
02-15-2006, 06:54 PM
what about boggers how do those hold up to daily driving? funny question lol i can guess...but the tread is just so big even if they wear down a lot you will still have some big ass lugs pulling for you...i have just always wondered

climbdarox
02-15-2006, 06:56 PM
Prices i have found per tire (35in tires)

Irok: $310
LTB: $170
TrXus MT: $237
Boggers: $260
Goodyear MT/R: $195

LTB are lookin pretty bad ass! anyone know anything much about them or have them? ok i will stop posting up now... :cool:

Toyo4x4
02-15-2006, 06:56 PM
arent all interco tires made from really soft compoud? like i would get the Irocks just cause they look so bad ass and am sure they would perform but are they really soft? the interco mud tires look pretty good to though so do the LTB...anyone have those?

Trxus maybe? I'm not going to repeat my opinion, do a search and you will see how I like them. I still don't see why more people on here aren't running them.

climbdarox
02-15-2006, 06:59 PM
i want an opinion on the LTB cause those look like they got some big A$$ lugs on em almost big as Boggers...maybe not but looks like i can see a little scoop in them...just wondering

Toyo4x4
02-15-2006, 07:04 PM
i want an opinion on the LTB cause those look like they got some big A$$ lugs on em almost big as Boggers...maybe not but looks like i can see a little scoop in them...just wondering

Strictly a street tire? No. Mostly trail, go for it. Superposer (can be found on the pa board) runs them in a 34". PM him.

climbdarox
02-15-2006, 07:06 PM
the trXus MT look good but do they self clean well in mud? and they dont have very big lugs...one thing i dont get is i found the MTR's for 195 and the TrXus MT for 237 a tire people are saying that they get the MT over the MTR cause of the price...where do you guys buy your tires?

AK98Taco
02-15-2006, 07:10 PM
no dude MTR is maximus traction reinforced check out how they look compared to bfg

here yo (http://www.off-road.com/jeep/reviews/mtr/)

Here's a review for you: http://www.4x4review.com/products/tires/GoodyearMTR.asp

"In comparison to a Super Swamper, it fell a bit short of being a true mud tire, but we feel the quiet road manners and rock-crawling capabilities more than made up for it."

It's a dry-terrain tire.

For people that have experience in mud, the MT/R is all but worthless.

Toyo4x4
02-15-2006, 07:11 PM
the trXus MT look good but do they self clean well in mud? and they dont have very big lugs...

Yes they clean great, but I try to stay out of real nasty mud as much as possible. The pictures on the internet don't do them justice. The lugs are good sized. A lower tread depth than most (19/32) but still a good tire.

TacoMike82
02-15-2006, 07:12 PM
I just ordered some TrXus MTs today in 285/75/16 for $145. I was torn between them and the Cooper's STT but ultimately I think the TrXus will do better on the trails and they look better and tread life will be about the same.

TacoMike82
02-15-2006, 07:14 PM
I don't know what size rim you are looking at but 35x12.50 on 16s is only $199.99 HERE (http://www.tirepackage.com/productlist.asp?prodlineid=43&product=Super+Swamper+Trxus+M%2FT+Radial&make=16%20Inch%20Rim%20Size&cat=Tires)

AK98Taco
02-15-2006, 07:15 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why do people get so hung up on that name? Because they called them "Maximum Traction" instead of "Mud Terrain" they're not a "mud tire". Well, :bs: . I have had BFG MTs, and currently have MT/Rs, and I can not recall my BFGs being any better in the mud than my MT/Rs are. I have heard other people say the BFGs spank the MT/Rs in mud....

Because it's not designed to be a mud tire, though it may be used as one.

From what I have seen, most people who run a lot of mud use Swampers (TSLs and Boggers), most people who run rocks use MT/Rs.

My BFG A/Ts did well in Alaska mud, but I don't call them mud tires.

well, I don't know, maybe we just have magic mud here in OR. :confused:

Maybe... ;)

AK98Taco
02-15-2006, 07:18 PM
the trXus MT look good but do they self clean well in mud? and they dont have very big lugs...one thing i dont get is i found the MTR's for 195 and the TrXus MT for 237 a tire people are saying that they get the MT over the MTR cause of the price...where do you guys buy your tires?

They clean very well and the lugs are bigger than you think.

I paid $680 for my four from a friend that owns a shop, and that includes shipping to Alaska.

04RedLobster
02-15-2006, 07:34 PM
What do you think? I am guessing that the Goodyear MTR do pretty good i had them before...what are those DC ties that the DC around the edges ....just want to get some info before i go and buy new tires...but i want something that will still handle in mud and tough stuff but wears well on the street, right now i have the x-terrain procomps and really like them...i am thinking i might go back to the MTR's though...anyone know i the rubber compound on the MTR is denser than the procomp?
oh god...not another one... :xsmash: :banghead: :doh:

joeylead
02-15-2006, 09:18 PM

before you really make a bad choice here you need to do some research on bias ply and radial tires. I will make it simple for this discussion: bias ply = great offroad, bad on street. Radial = varies offroad, designed for street. The LTB's are a bias ply tire, as such they will wear faster, be harder to balance and ride worse on the street than a radial tire (BFG, MTR, etc..) The swamper TrXus MT is a radial tire and is siped so it ought to have better wet traction than a BFG which isnt siped. If you dont know what siping is, sipes are the little "cuts" in tread blocks designed to enhance wet traction on slippery surfaces.

Toyo4x4
02-15-2006, 09:22 PM
before you really make a bad choice here you need to do some research on bias ply and radial tires. I will make it simple for this discussion: bias ply = great offroad, bad on street. Radial = varies offroad, designed for street. The LTB's are a bias ply tire, as such they will wear faster, be harder to balance and ride worse on the street than a radial tire (BFG, MTR, etc..) The swamper TrXus MT is a radial tire and is siped so it ought to have better wet traction than a BFG which isnt siped. If you dont know what siping is, sipes are the little "cuts" in tread blocks designed to enhance wet traction on slippery surfaces.

Good post...that elaborated on my shortened version ;)

crawler#976
02-15-2006, 09:55 PM
.....It's a dry-terrain tire.

At least for my rig @ 4200 lbs on 35-12.5x15's MT/R's mounted on 15 x 8's that's not nesessarily true.

I've found they do fine as long as they are aired down to very low pressure (about 4 PSI). In our sticky, slick as snot caliche clay, they have gone everywhere a set of BFG's did. Obviously they can't compare to a bias ply tire, but when damn near flat they clean OK. Same pressure works great in snow too.

i want an opinion on the LTB...

IMlessthanHO, and in regards to this specific size, the 33-13.5x15 LTB's mounted on 15 x 10's:

Not as durable a tire as most Interco are.

Great rock traction due to the very, very soft tread compound. Almost feels like gum rubber. Awesome traction is snow and mud.

Sidewalls aren't very tough tho, had multiple cuts thru sidewalls. Run the same trails on MT/R's with no, none, zero, zip, failures.

I wouldn't expect you'd get much more than 4000 miles on set if you use'm hard offhighway, and pavement eats'm up fast.

KStacoma
02-15-2006, 11:48 PM
As others have said the mt/r's are great except in deep mud. I love mine on the street, on the rocks, but not in the mud. They really just don't like to clean out too well. They have worn pretty good though.

OR_05Taco
02-15-2006, 11:52 PM
Because it's not designed to be a mud tire, though it may be used as one.

Those sound like somewhat conflicting statements. Saying the MT/R is all but worthless in mud is misleading and ridiculous IMO. Is it a bogger? Of course not. Is it a tire that you would want to run if you were competing in a mud bog? No. However, they hold their own in mud. IMO they are a great MIXED TERRAIN tire. They can handle most conditions well, but they aren't the best at any of them. This is what I was looking for when I was shopping for tires, and the MT/R is what I ended up with (siped). I think they are on par with BFGs in mud performance (IN MY EXPERIENCE - I've owned both). Maybe this isn't the case in different parts of the country, but we have lots o' mud here in OR and they do fine. Like I said, they aren't a bogger, but they are certainly not "all but worthless".

AK98Taco
02-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Those sound like somewhat conflicting statements. Saying the MT/R is all but worthless in mud is misleading and ridiculous IMO. Is it a bogger? Of course not. Is it a tire that you would want to run if you were competing in a mud bog? No. However, they hold their own in mud. IMO they are a great MIXED TERRAIN tire. They can handle most conditions well, but they aren't the best at any of them. This is what I was looking for when I was shopping for tires, and the MT/R is what I ended up with (siped). I think they are on par with BFGs in mud performance (IN MY EXPERIENCE - I've owned both). Maybe this isn't the case in different parts of the country, but we have lots o' mud here in OR and they do fine. Like I said, they aren't a bogger, but they are certainly not "all but worthless".

Perhaps, but I'm just speaking from what I've been told by my wheeling counterparts in Alaska that daily drive their rigs and wheel some incredibly challenging terrain. The wheeling is wet, rutted, and full of roots and rocks. The MT/Rs pack quickly compared to M/Ts and Swampers. I don't know what it is about the MT/R, but it just doesn't perform as well.

As I said, my BFG A/Ts were surprising in mud and despite not cleaning well they were not my limiting factor. I've seen MT/Rs go through the same exact stuff and they were no better for cleaning themselves.

Take it as you will, but for running more mud than rocks or sand, go for an M/T or radial Swamper.

TacoDell
02-16-2006, 12:17 AM
what are those DC ties that the DC around the edges ....?

Dick Cepek

shovelracer
02-16-2006, 05:41 PM
I want to jump in. I have 265/75-16 Truxus MT's on my plow truck. They are sick as far as traction when I plow, drive through the mud at the dump, and rain. However I only have about 500 miles on them and they are down about 1/8" tread already. They will last a few years since I only use them for the winter. They are on an F250 with a plow on it though. It weighs about 7000 lbs which is much more than my Taco. My question is how are they wearing on the taco's as I am seriously considering them for mine, but they are on the upper end of my price range.

Toyo4x4
02-16-2006, 06:04 PM
They are on an F250 with a plow on it though. It weighs about 7000 lbs which is much more than my Taco.

Well that's why. They do just fine on midsize/compacts. Like I've said countless times over, I have about 30K on mine with plenty of tread left. I rotate every 3000 miles and keep the pressure in check. They're great, but like many mud tires out there, they aren't meant to be run on 3/4 ton trucks.

02tacotim
02-16-2006, 06:29 PM
The BFG MT's with proper rotation and psi will last longer than any of the others and perform great offroad when aired down appropriately.

Tim

Toyo4x4
02-16-2006, 08:14 PM
The BFG MT's with proper rotation and psi will last longer than any of the others and perform great offroad when aired down appropriately.

Tim

While the fact that BFGs last a long time, there are not nearly the number of long term analysis reviews of the Trxus tread life (partially because they are fairly new). I might just run mine until they die to see how many miles I will get out of them. 40K+ seems to be the trend for the BFGs, I will certainly hit the 40K mark if I keep them until then.

siambxr
02-16-2006, 09:18 PM
i'm running some Truxus on my pig of a rig ( 88 Range Rover Classic ) and put about 20k on it still have tons of tread.. Go on snow, mud, rocks.. I don't get how some people put 500 miles on them and wear them out super fast.. :confused: .. BTW they rock on mud... I have MTR's on my 05 Taco.. never been on mud but in knee deep snow i didn't even doubt it... :cool:

lynchart
02-16-2006, 09:45 PM
I had them couldn't get them balanced might have been a bad tire who nows. got bfg's

Trxus maybe? I'm not going to repeat my opinion, do a search and you will see how I like them. I still don't see why more people on here aren't running them.

AK98Taco
02-16-2006, 09:50 PM
I had them couldn't get them balanced might have been a bad tire who nows. got bfg's

Mine took a good bit of weight and a decent amount of time to get perfect, but they are damn smooth at all speeds.

The hum is beautiful.

climbdarox
02-16-2006, 11:02 PM
hmmm....i just wish i could see these tires in person...i am really considering them...i mean getting 30k on them with tread left is insane...i will prob get them once my x-terrains wear out but they are good and still going strong too..

Paul
02-16-2006, 11:06 PM
How many miles do you have on said procomp tires?

climbdarox
02-17-2006, 11:08 AM
not sure i will have to check and get back to you on that

jester_motorsports
02-17-2006, 12:23 PM

If you'd like some good data from people that are actual owners of some of the mainstream tires, go to Tire Rack's website and search for your size tire in the mud terrain tires. If you pick a tire, you can read reviews from owners of the tires. It will list their driving styles and what types of terrain they use the tires for. It will also list the mileage that they've put on the tires. When I was buying my tires, I used Tire Rack as a resource. That's how I ended up choosing my Firestone Destination M/T's.

shovelracer
02-17-2006, 01:16 PM
I don't get how some people put 500 miles on them and wear them out super fast.
Primarily vehicle weight and usage. My wear is mainly cause I'm about 8K loaded with salt. I'm sure your rover only weighs a fraction of that. Plus when your plowing your always digging the tread in as your pushing the snow.

SilverTaco
02-17-2006, 02:52 PM
One thing to add. THe TRXUS look weak in the mags and online but in person the only thing your can compare them to is a M/T version of a Swamper. I had to convince a friend..he didnt think the looked aggressive enough but he trusted me anyway and now he is so glad he went with them. Also ride much better than my old Mud Rovers.

siambxr
02-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Primarily vehicle weight and usage. My wear is mainly cause I'm about 8K loaded with salt. I'm sure your rover only weighs a fraction of that. Plus when your plowing your always digging the tread in as your pushing the snow.

true, true that plowing task would work that tires big time..

AK98Taco
02-17-2006, 03:24 PM
One thing to add. THe TRXUS look weak in the mags and online but in person the only thing your can compare them to is a M/T version of a Swamper. I had to convince a friend..he didnt think the looked aggressive enough but he trusted me anyway and now he is so glad he went with them. Also ride much better than my old Mud Rovers.

They are way more aggressive than other street-oriented mud tires. Here's the Trxus, the Irok, and the TSL for a design comparison, and then the other tires in question.

Trxus M/T:

http://www.intercotire.com/images/TRXUS%20MT%20large.jpg

Irok:

http://www.intercotire.com/piclib/534.jpg

TSL:

http://www.intercotire.com/images/SWAMPER%20large.jpg

The perennial candidate for M/T:

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/images/catalog/tires/mud_terrain_large.jpg

and

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/graphics/Tires/full/wrangmtr.jpg

sixspeed
02-17-2006, 04:36 PM
MT/R = Maximum Traction Radial, versus the M/T = mud terrain

My Super Swamper Trxus M/Ts are pretty kickass.

MT/R in the Wrangler tire name stands for 'Military Tread / Revised".

The original MT was the milspec tire on the Hummer and the MT/R is it's replacement. :xusflag:

Toyo4x4
02-17-2006, 05:48 PM

The original MT was the milspec tire on the Hummer and the MT/R is it's replacement. :xusflag:

Ummm, not going to argue because I couldn't find documentation of Goodyear's site, but I'm pretty sure it's Maximum Traction/Reinforced, at least according to every piece of documentation I've ever read on the tire.

sixspeed
02-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Ummm, not going to argue because I couldn't find documentation of Goodyear's site, but I'm pretty sure it's Maximum Traction/Reinforced, at least according to every piece of documentation I've ever read on the tire.

I certainly could be wrong.... I do remember seeing the "military tread revised" description in a tech article when they first came out that talked about their name... Maybe that's what the military called them!

I usually hate Goodyears but was thinking about trying an MT/R!

AK98Taco
02-18-2006, 11:42 AM

I was wrong on the radial part, it's "Reinforced" now that I recall, but "Military Tread/Revised" is definitely not the current meaning as the current MT/R is a departure from the Wrangler issued on the HMMWV and Hummer.

BigMudTruk
02-21-2006, 02:53 AM
A good friend of mine ran a set of TRXUS's on a ext cab long bed ford for about 12,000 miles then swapped them onto his Tacoma and ran them another 35,000 miles, and they're still on it, they have treated him very well! My Ground Hawgs have worn like iron as well especially for a bias ply tire and being on a rig that was welded! I ran a set of LTB's on a rig that was welded and only got about 15,000 out of them, I'm tempted to try out LTB's again on a truck that isnt welded, its especially tempting since I own a set! :)

Pennywise
02-21-2006, 07:08 AM
BFG all terrains

Boheefus
02-21-2006, 10:15 AM
BFG all terrains
for mud?? mighht as well slap a set of bowling balls on there for all the traction you will get..

Dunlop Mud Rovers all the way.... I had a set on my dearly departed Taco, they worked great in the mud, flexy sidewalls on the rocks with minimal air let out, and they wear great on the street...I monitored tire pressure regularly...not to mention that I picked thtem up for $111 per tire for 35x12.5x15....a price that can't be beat IMHO

ystanley
05-29-2007, 10:58 PM
shit i have toyo mts have you ever considered those i love em they do great 3 ply side wall and 7 ply tread 305 70 16

T-A-C-O
05-29-2007, 11:05 PM
My trxus are lasting very well, I dont know exactly how many miles are on them, but they have at least 10,000, and they are still at about 80-85%. The only things I dont like about the Trxus are that even with 15 ounces of weight they still dont balace, and that they dont clean out the best. But as far as snow and ice goes, i dont think you will find a better offroad tire, plus they're tits on the rocks and wayyyy tougher than BF Goodbitch

NorcalPR
05-30-2007, 12:44 AM
for mud?? mighht as well slap a set of bowling balls on there for all the traction you will get..

Dunlop Mud Rovers all the way.... I had a set on my dearly departed Taco, they worked great in the mud, flexy sidewalls on the rocks with minimal air let out, and they wear great on the street...I monitored tire pressure regularly...not to mention that I picked thtem up for $111 per tire for 35x12.5x15....a price that can't be beat IMHO

On my old truck I had the Dunlop Mud Terrains and they only alsted about 20k miles, and were a horrible tread design. The sidewalls are way too thin too...

My vote goes to the coolers. Still wearing excellent after 11k miles, not loud, and a very agressive tread design that is tame on the street.