TTORA Forum banner

Need info for an FJ40 Project

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Gravel Maker 
#1 ·
I may be buying an early 70's model FJ40 in the near future. It is missing the motor and supposedly is set up for a chevy engine. Im not interested in putting a V8 in it either, rather keep it a V6. What are my options for selecting a good motor thats not too hard to find? Anything else I need to keep in mind for this project?

Thanks...

#2 ·
4.3 Vortec and you would be able to use what it is set up for on the V8. I think that stock they came with a straight 6, but I could be wrong. But, I think the Vortec is a great motor and it will bolt in place of where a SBC would have been, they have the same block, just minus two cylinders.

#3 ·
FJ40s started life with the Inline 6.

Now I'll ask the obvious question... why no V8?

If you get the front end too light, it won't climb worth a shit. Seen that happen first hand.

I had a 5.0L TBI V8 in my FJ40 and loved it. Just the right amount of power for 35s even with 4.11 gears while on road. Offroad it would run on its side. Easy to wire up and get going. And the gas milage was in the 15mpg on the freeway while doing around 65 to 70.

#5 ·
Ahh so you are looking at basically a renovation/rejuvination? More or less modernizing the drivetrain.

I still wouldn't discount doing a Chevy V8. They are so simple to do especially the "older" TBIs and TPIs. Mine on 35s was a LOT of fun around town. If it had an overdrive, it would have been a little better on road at higher speeds.

I've heard mixed reviews on the 4.3's in a Cruiser. I think they would be barely passable. You are asking a lot out of an engine that was in a rig 400lbs or more lighter than an FJ40.

One other thing to keep in mind, don't expect spectacular gas milage out of an FJ40 no matter the engine. Remember, it has the aerodynamics of a brick. :D

FWIW, I started off with similar asperations... "I'll keep it stock and maybe upgrade to 33's" Then it was "I'll drop a 5.0L TBI and go with 35s". Now it is "I'll just do a 472 Cady and 40s" :driving:

#6 ·
TacomaJones said:
Well, thats just it, Im not really going to use it offroad that much. Basically just love the vehicle the way it came off the line back in the day. Im just going to attempt to restore it to its orginal form, for the most part.
You are going to restore an FJ40 that is "set up" to run a Chevy 350? That doesn't make sense. If you are going to restore it, then start with a vehicle that has the original 2F motor and drivetrain.

#11 ·
You really do not want to ship a 2f that far. they wiegh alot (300) pound more than a small block chevy. The 4.3 would power it a lot better and get better mileage. Check over on Ih8mud. If you really want a 2f someone will prob. give you one or two.Any other questions feel free to ask. I'm thinking of doing a 4.3 swap myself. More power and would like to swap in an auto at the same time.

#14 ·
A Chevy inline 6 and a 2F are nearly....

The same motor, Either Japan stole the design or Chevy sold the rights to them, lots of early parts can swap. Anyway, no power gain there and the 2f went on to further development in Japan while the Chevy was discontinued so you would be better with the 2f also. A 305 or 350 TPI motor can really improve milage and performance, a Cruiser is about 3900-4000 stock so a V6 would not be a great change, in fact a little less torque, now if it were a turbocharged V6, maybe. The Chevy V8 is going to make you very happy and you might think Ford C4 behind it if you want the auto. They are cheap and can be built up nicely, GM to C4 adapter bellhousings are about $275 but the package will save you 10" and the stock WB of a cruiser calls for a real short auto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.