: balancing wheels

tacoma0309
02-25-2006, 07:49 PM
I know the Tacomas stock wheels are lug centric and there are few places that have the adapter to balance them correctly, but how many of you have had your wheels balanced on a regular hub centric machine and can you tell the difference? I am looking to get somes new tires at Sams and I don't think they will have the adapter. Thanks

TacoDell
02-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Discount Tire hub centric balanced my BFG AT's 265/75/16 when purchased... There was a vibration and shimmy between 55 and 60 mph following their work... I then took it to the Yota dealer as I knew they used the lug centric method... All the vibration and mild shimmy disappeared... So for me the answer would be... absolutely.. I'd think the larger tire you go to... the more important this becomes...

The Dude
02-25-2006, 09:35 PM
you think thats what could be wrong with my black crawler wheels? or are the 1/4 in spacers doing it?

TacoDell
02-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Could be the spacer... But I'll almost bet it's the balance... 1/4 spacer ain't so bad... Steel wheels make it a little more difficult as well... Mine are alloys... But IMO... It would be a good place to start... Make sure they weight both inner and outer beads... If you wheel hard in the rocks... have them use stickys on the inboard of the rims outer lip... If you don't rockcrawl... use the standard clip ons... They may look ugly... But it's worth the lessened aggravation...

NorCalTRD
02-25-2006, 11:05 PM
is there a differance, sure. but if the person who balanced your tires knows what they are doing you would have a hard time felling the difference between them. at the tire shop where i work, we have the ability to "pin-plate" a tire if needed. the pin plate acts as if there are lug nuts, which make the tire act more like it will when it is on the vehicle. i know my shop has this, i would imagine that most other tire shops would have the same thing.

tacoma0309
02-26-2006, 05:45 AM
What is the name of the adapter that you need? I'll ask them when I go there next.

Full_Tilt_Fud
02-26-2006, 08:17 AM
I work for a tire store as well. We have the pinplates to center the wheel off the lugnuts but through experimentation with my own truck i have foend that the truck will drive better with less vibrations when the normal old center cone is used. The problem is that when you use the pins you are still suppose to place a center cone behind the wheel to help center it. With the large hubs on the tacoma you have to use a large cone and when you tighten it down the cone contacts the machine before the backside of the wheel so there is no support which is bad.

cdub
02-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Full Tild Fud said it right on. I work for Discount and balance my 33's with the normal cone. As long as you get a good person balancing the wheels it really makes no difference. Just ask for one of the top technicians to balance the wheels for you and you should be fine.

tacoma0309
02-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks for all the info !!!

NorCalTRD
02-26-2006, 10:05 PM
both Full_Tilt_Fud and cdub are correct, just hope that the guy that does the work knows what he is doing and there shouldn't be a problem.