: My First Mod

M3Man02
01-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Yeah I know for most of you guys this mod will be kinda boring for you, but here it is. It took a little less than an hour. I got the Deckplate from a boat shop, and the sensor safe silicone from Autozone. Very easy mod. Also have my 3" Cornfed suspension lift sitting on the ground waiting to be installed, but the lift I am going to be using is a buddy of mine's. And he has been out of town. Well anyway I am sure I will post a few pics when I get that installed too. Here is my 4" deckplate....

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/jnuechte/www/Deckplate.jpg

zszac111
01-18-2005, 03:33 PM
got to start somewhere i guess, now its a down hill battle to keep the bank account up to support the habbit :D

YoTRacer158
01-18-2005, 04:44 PM
how do you like the deckplate? noticeable power increase?

cooper4x4
01-18-2005, 06:55 PM
how do you like the deckplate? noticeable power increase?

I didnt notice any increase in power from the deckplate. It does make the intake louder.

joe_mauma
01-18-2005, 07:09 PM
I didnt notice any increase in power from the deckplate. It does make the intake louder.

Are you sure you aren't getting an increase in power?

Some members around here claim to get 50+ hp from their deckplates. :rolleyes:

Yeti
01-18-2005, 07:42 PM
ok but seriously, if not any power increase is there at least a gas mileage increase? Please experiment this for me since the only deckplate ive been able to find was an ugly ass white 8" one

DCabTaco
01-18-2005, 07:56 PM

What filter did you use? Don't expect rocket like results from the deckplate mod. It may only be seen in dyno charts, or at higher RPMs. That is when the airflow (lack off) affects the performance, but one again, don't expect 50 hp gain,.... maybe 49 but not 50 lol.

Jamier2
01-18-2005, 08:26 PM
Also have my 3" Cornfed suspension lift sitting on the ground waiting to be installed, but the lift I am going to be using is a buddy of mine's. And he has been out of town.
The first time I read this I thought you were gonna install your buddy's Cornfed lift since he's not around. :D

M3Man02
01-18-2005, 09:16 PM
honestly I didn't notice a difference in power gain, but I will have to check into gas mileage.

not2XS
01-18-2005, 09:32 PM
ok but seriously, if not any power increase is there at least a gas mileage increase? Please experiment this for me since the only deckplate ive been able to find was an ugly ass white 8" one
I've occasionally posted this on the old board, but I'll repeat the suggestion for the newer folks. Just cut the hole like for a deck-plate, then when you want to close it just duct-tape over it!

If you want to be less redneck, use black duct-tape. :)

GreenTaco4x4
01-18-2005, 10:02 PM
4" thats it?

The biggest I could fit was a 6", while all you guys are getting 49hp I am getting 100hp atleast, this is better than the TRD S/C. :cool:

synovus
01-18-2005, 10:08 PM
the only deckplate ive been able to find was an ugly ass white 8" one

Google... 4"+deckplate

Thousands of results. At least one or two of 'em should be really pretty, too.

nastynate
01-18-2005, 10:12 PM

i notice a decrease in mpg w/ the deck lid screwed on. after i remove it, it jumps back up about 1.5 - 2 mpg more

this has happened several times

synovus
01-18-2005, 10:16 PM
i notice a decrease in mpg w/ the deck lid screwed on. after i remove it, it jumps back up about 1.5 - 2 mpg more. this has happened several times

You're saying that your mileage dropped after you did the deckplate mod, with the lid on? For example, your mileage was 20 mpg before the deckplate mod, but then dropped to say 18 mpg after the deckplate mod but with the plate screwed on?

Or are you saying that you get 1.5-2 mpg more than stock with the deckplate removed?

BLT2RCKTRD
01-18-2005, 10:23 PM
I've occasionally posted this on the old board, but I'll repeat the suggestion for the newer folks. Just cut the hole like for a deck-plate, then when you want to close it just duct-tape over it!

Good idea, it would be a lot cheaper to do it that way, not that deckplates are expensive, but any way to save $$ is good.

nastynate
01-18-2005, 10:29 PM
...you get 1.5-2 mpg more than stock with the deckplate removed?

that is correct

alabamatacomaguy
01-19-2005, 09:18 AM
im gana run my intake to the cab and put one of those dollar store fans in front of it to blow air into it to gain power,

i dont understand what a cold air intake is, my friend said i cold do it from inside the cab by putting a bucket of ice in front of my relocated air box and blowing the air into the intake

im really bored today
my phones broke
i need a friend
peace
brad

DCabTaco
01-19-2005, 09:29 AM

Don't forget that with a deckplate you have the option of adding a snorkle and still making it water proof. I wonder how the duct-tape would hold up... The recuring cost of buying duct tape would eventually surpass the single cost of a deckplate,.. things to think about.

DCabTaco
01-19-2005, 09:33 AM
honestly I didn't notice a difference in power gain, but I will have to check into gas mileage.

Something else I haven't seen here is the D shaped gasket Toyota put on the throttle body. Everyone is trying to open up the airflow on the intake, but you have a bottle neck at the throttlebody. Take it off and either order one from Gadget, or cut the existing one. Honestly though I can't figure out why Toyota would put that gasket and not an O shapped??? :confused:

Jamier2
01-19-2005, 12:26 PM
Well, I've lifted the truck, added new tires, got fender flares, bought power locks, bought cruise control, I figured I might as well do this too. :) I just ordered my deckplate, mostly for the mpg increases everyone says they get. Maybe I'll get the 3mpg I lost with the lift.

Blacksheep
01-20-2005, 07:50 AM
I notice a diff only when I punch it to pass a car and when the air is wide open, it can suck allot more air. Thats about it. And a louder sound under the hood. :)

Yotaman16
01-20-2005, 09:22 AM
What about just removin the elbow from the intake... Would i get the same results???

DCabTaco
01-20-2005, 09:32 AM
What about just removin the elbow from the intake... Would i get the same results???

According to the dyno charts in Gadgets site, you should get similar results. That is what I did for now. The only downside from that is you canít close the hole up so easily.

MililaniTaco
01-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Something else I haven't seen here is the D shaped gasket Toyota put on the throttle body. Everyone is trying to open up the airflow on the intake, but you have a bottle neck at the throttlebody. Take it off and either order one from Gadget, or cut the existing one. Honestly though I can't figure out why Toyota would put that gasket and not an O shapped??? :confused:

Is this Gadget gasket like a Throttle Body insert? Or something els? Just wondering sorry Noob question.

mudferret
01-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Is this Gadget gasket like a Throttle Body insert? Or something els? Just wondering sorry Noob question. It's a direct replacement of the stock gasket. There is a small obstruction built into the stock gasket, it's not that big, but eliminating it will definitely eliminate turbulent air flow around the gasket. I installed one a few days ago, acceleration seems smoother. Let me DL the pics from my camera and get an image comparison of the gaskets up...

synovus
01-21-2005, 07:07 PM
Is this Gadget gasket like a Throttle Body insert? Or something els? Just wondering sorry Noob question.

Here's a link to it on Gadget's site (URD):

http://www.urdusa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=0038&Category_Code=PERF

mudferret
01-21-2005, 07:15 PM
That small obstruction makes a bigger difference in airflow than just the % area that is freed up by removing it. It also creates turbulent flow that will decrease air flow even more. A lot of dynamics to take into consideration in our engines though.

http://www.maynardx.com/misc/comparison.jpg

1noobie
01-21-2005, 08:17 PM
Dude, I can get 4in, 5in or 6in deckplate if you want one. I got the 5in and it was like $11.

Let me know.

Live4yotas
01-21-2005, 08:36 PM
What county is Hoover close to Alabamatacomaguy.

synovus
01-21-2005, 09:12 PM
What county is Hoover close to Alabamatacomaguy.

Hoover is in Birmingham. Jefferson/Shelby counties.

Mythica
09-08-2005, 02:24 PM
Well, being a nOOb I have been hesitant to post anything.

But I did a search and found the topic I was looking for, this one seems to be the closest to my question, so here goes.

Do either one of these mods, The deck plate or The O gasket effect emissions? Will it still pass emissions after doing one of or both of these mods?
Please forgive my ignorance but I am not up to speed on the newer technology motors, built a few old school ones in high school but have been reluctant to get into the fuel injection stuff, until now

so thanks for your help
Jerry

SAR_Squid79
09-09-2005, 09:59 AM
Nope - No problems with emissions. No CEL's.

As long as you use sensor safe silicone you won't have any problems at all.

The deckplate mod is unbelievable considering the cost, the time, and the fact that it makes a difference big enough to hear and feel. Great mod - highly reccommended around here.

boylem002
09-09-2005, 12:44 PM
no problems with the mod as far as CELs go, you're not really changing any of the dynamics of intake at all, aside from freeing up the restrictions for airflow. The only sensor associated with this mod is the Mass Airfow Sensor, and it's unaffected by this.

Mythica
09-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Kool

Thank you guys!

Time to break out the :saw: