: SCORE rules on cages

YoTRacer158
03-14-2006, 02:53 PM
SCORE's rules for a rollcage is 1.75" tubing for under 4000lbs and 2" for over 4000 lbs...but is that based off the weight of just the truck, or the weight of the truck with everything on it? Our trucks weigh around 3400lbs (I think) but with a cage front to rear, bumpers, spare tires, fuel cell, etc., would there be a chance of it weighing over 4000lbs?

JESSE_at_TLT
03-14-2006, 03:32 PM
It's possible that you might hit 4,000lbs, but will you ever really race a SCORE event? I'm not saying that you won't, but when we started designing the rollcage for our Tacoma, I was asking all the same questions. A well-built rollcage using a combination of 1.75 and 1.5" tubing will be plenty strong enough, but it might not be 'SCORE-Legal'. I stopped considering SCORE rules a while ago, except the ones that other sanctioning bodies seem to follow, because SCORE isn't catering to the small-time racers anyway.

DesertTRD
03-19-2006, 12:27 PM
It's possible that you might hit 4,000lbs, but will you ever really race a SCORE event? I'm not saying that you won't, but when we started designing the rollcage for our Tacoma, I was asking all the same questions. A well-built rollcage using a combination of 1.75 and 1.5" tubing will be plenty strong enough, but it might not be 'SCORE-Legal'. I stopped considering SCORE rules a while ago, except the ones that other sanctioning bodies seem to follow, because SCORE isn't catering to the small-time racers anyway.
as bad as that sounds, its true, they dont care about the little guy, all that grass roots raceing talk they do and yet if you try it you cant get very far....

however im worried about other sanctioning bodies enforcing the score tube size requirements, so when i start my project in the next year im using 2" for all structural internal cage items.

JESSE_at_TLT
03-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Building stronger/safer is never a bad idea, but some of SCORE's rules are so questionable and arbitrary that I'd rather use my own judgement than follow their new rulebook. As an example, I remember someone making a comment on Race-Dezert about how stupid the 1.5x.120" vs. 1.75x.095" rule is by pointing out that 1.75x.095 is lighter AND stronger than 1.5x.120". I'm actually trying to meet most of the FIA requirements so that we can race the Tacoma in some rally and autocross events. Working on installing a new set of Sparco bucket seats this weekend...

7sx_Tacoma
04-04-2006, 08:14 PM
SCORE's rules for a rollcage is 1.75" tubing for under 4000lbs and 2" for over 4000 lbs...but is that based off the weight of just the truck, or the weight of the truck with everything on it? Our trucks weigh around 3400lbs (I think) but with a cage front to rear, bumpers, spare tires, fuel cell, etc., would there be a chance of it weighing over 4000lbs?

I believe it is with everything on it. and yes...you can pretty much count on it weighing over 4000lbs. I was looking into the same thing and am doing the 2" tubing.