TTORA Forum banner

Big Land Cruiser's?

6K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  me_tu05 
#1 ·
I dont have one yet, I'm a 4Runner guy. But I want to see some big LC's. Post some pics even if there not yours. I plan to start a trail only FJ55 project this summer and want to start getting some ideas on what to do with it. :D

#13 ·
RedRunnertc said:
thank you, I was gonna post his if no one else did. Saw it in person (its about 2 miles from where I live) and its quite impressive. Especially the front suspension that he just did. Its a damn nice rig.

#18 ·
91toyota4x4 said:
Plus most 80 owners aren't exactly what you would call "wheelers"
Ryan, as the trucks age and become affordable, more and more of them fall into the right hands.

I know a bunch of 80 series guys who wheel their rigs about as hard as you can wheel a big piece of steel like that.

As a matter of fact, the Norcal Wagons group does the Rubicon every year.

#19 ·
colorado125 said:
thank you, I was gonna post his if no one else did. Saw it in person (its about 2 miles from where I live) and its quite impressive. Especially the front suspension that he just did. Its a damn nice rig.

yeah its ok....... i might be up for sale soon

#20 · (Edited)
calamaridog said:
Ryan, as the trucks age and become affordable, more and more of them fall into the right hands.
I do realize that, buteven now they still aren't exactly cheap, especially for something that you are going to punish. I would love to have a Elocked 80 on 35s or 37s as a wheeling rig. They are very well built and come from the factory with so many offroad options that I could only dream of my truck having, Elockers, Extened Diff Breathers, Linked Suspension, 4 wheel disk to name a few. Plus the axles are beef.

I think my next rig may well be an 80 with lockers. I still need them to get a little bit older before I could afford one.

BTW, I think TiredIron's rig is completely bad ass and I would light my truck on fire and roll it down a hill if I was given that. lol

#21 ·
91toyota4x4 said:
Plus most 80 owners aren't exactly what you would call "wheelers"
I think that is a pretty poor assumption to make about a group of people who are pretty diehard about the abilities of their rigs.

The NorCal guys are pretty hardcore as are lots of other 80 series guys.

My local friend here in OH just completed an LT1 swap into his 94 80 series and with 37's and a 6" lift, not only can he conquer pretty much about any obstacle that comes in it's way, he also races ricers on the city streets....

Ever seen a 3 ton vehicle peel out on 37" swampers?

:D

#22 ·
beno said:
I think that is a pretty poor assumption to make about a group of people who are pretty diehard about the abilities of their rigs.

My local friend here in OH just completed an LT1 swap into his 94 80 series and with 37's and a 6" lift, not only can he conquer pretty much about any obstacle that comes in it's way, he also races ricers on the city streets....

uhmm...no, I and I have no need to either. And why ruin the reliabilty of a perfectly good 80 with an LT1? I used to drive an LT1 and it's not the most reliable thing out there.

#23 ·
beno said:

i think maybe he is talking about the guys who drive the Newer ones, like the ones with the blinging Rims. I dont know how much they cost in california but up here the early and some of the late 90s landcruisers are pretty cheap,probably a grand or more than a 4runner. My sister is going to get a vehicle soon and my dads debating on getting her a cruiser or 4 runner,i hope she gets a cruiser tho.

#24 ·
TACO 4X4 said:
uhmm...no, I and I have no need to either. And why ruin the reliabilty of a perfectly good 80 with an LT1? I used to drive an LT1 and it's not the most reliable thing out there.
If an LT1 swap is done correctly (correct adapters, correct valve body adjustments, correct cooling/air flow modifications and correct fuel delivery upgrades), then I think it can be just as reliable as the 1FZ is that came with 93-97 vehicles.

There are some serious head issues with the 1FZ (aluminum/cast mating) and many have had head gaskets blow at the #6 cylinder. This is documented and some have had the gasket blow at 70k and some at 170k and some not at all.

The 3FE also had some of this, though it is a much more reliable engine, IMHO.

Sure, I guess you do lose the perceived reliability of the Toyota marquee. But I have seen some good GM engines (now, their trannies, that's another story.... :rolleyes: )....and I have seen some seriously high mile GM engines...

Guess it's all about what you want your truck for. I personally agree with you and I would not replace the 1FZ with anything but another 1FZ, a 2UZ-FE or any one of the incredible Toyota Diesels that are found in Canada, OZ, or in Japan (1HD-TE, 1HZ-TE, etc.)

Cheers mate.
-onur
Oberlin, OH

#25 ·
honca2k said:
i think maybe he is talking about the guys who drive the Newer ones, like the ones with the blinging Rims. I dont know how much they cost in california but up here the early and some of the late 90s landcruisers are pretty cheap,probably a grand or more than a 4runner. My sister is going to get a vehicle soon and my dads debating on getting her a cruiser or 4 runner,i hope she gets a cruiser tho.
The 98+ LC's are also very, very capable vehicles. Sure, they have IFS up front and lose the rear locker after 2000+, but with some money and modifications, the UZJ100 can easily be a very formidable vehicle.

Recently, a NorCal Wagons 100 owner did the entire Rubicon without one touch of damage on his vehicle, and he took all of the tough lines everyone else did. Of course, he is also a hell of a driver, but it can be done.

The 100 series section on MUD has lots of vehicles built for wheeling too, if you want to check out the possibilities of the 100 series.

Personally, for me, I do not particularly like the 100 series as a platform for a wheeler. I love it for a platform of expedition style vehicle (Christo Slee's comes to mind, or John Schotts in AZ).

I would love to have a 2006 FZJ80 from Venezuela: Carburated 1FZ, manual tranny, stock lockers, manual everything, ambulance doors, stock Toyota snorkel, part-time Xfer case...

Droool.........

Best.
-onur
Oberlin, OH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.