TTORA Forum banner

manual trans.??

3K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  AK98Taco 
#1 ·
Just for the fun of it I was looking though edmunds and they say that you could get a manual trans. on a 98 cruiser. Is this true and has anyone seen one??

#4 ·
thenexus said:
here is the link to why I posted the question. Ya, I knew that the auto was only offered but this is just what confused me for this model year (look at bottom of the page). Is it just a typo or what?

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1998/toyota/landcruiser/7720/specs.html
I see that, where it has the mileage and range listed. Why they listed ratings rather than saying N/A I do not know.

Maybe it's just the way their data entry program is set up?

#6 ·
calamaridog said:
For the U.S. spec vehicles:

98-00 UZJ100 4spd automatic

01+ UZJ100 5spd automatic

For the Australian spec vehicles they offer a 5spd manual with the 2UZFE 4.7L V8:D
Those are also right-hand drive, no?

I guess an Australian spec vehicle is what I would need for my 2UZ swap if I want to retain the manual tranny? Think I'd rather have an auto, though.

#7 ·
AK98Taco said:
Those are also right-hand drive, no?

I guess an Australian spec vehicle is what I would need for my 2UZ swap if I want to retain the manual tranny? Think I'd rather have an auto, though.
Yes, they are right hand drive.

How far along are you on this 2UZFE swap? Concept phase or already collecting parts?

#8 ·
calamaridog said:
Yes, they are right hand drive.

How far along are you on this 2UZFE swap? Concept phase or already collecting parts?
Concept phase. I've decided that the most simple plan is to buy a salvage-titled Tundra or the like and use the engine, tranny, ECM, and whatever ECUs the motor and tranny need. T-case will either be an Atlas or a dual case setup. Also want the new ATS centrifugal supercharger setup as well.

The entire frame will likely be scrapped for a tubular one that will allow for complete freedom of engine, tranny, and suspension mounting, seeing how I am already planning to chop the front and rear frame for a linked suspension. Guess the cab will be the most major component that will remain mostly in tact.

This is my project for after I graduate and start working for Toyota, where I'll hopefully be able to pick the brains of engineers.

#9 ·
I would use the 2UZFE and fulltime transfer case out of the Land Cruiser or LX470 myself. Marks 4wd makes a 3 spd conversion for the transfer with 10:1 gearing. That would work well with the automatic...

I would also do the front axle from a FZJ80 and the rear from the UZJ100 platform and keep it all Toyota.

But hey, that's just me:D

#10 ·
calamaridog said:
I would use the 2UZFE and fulltime transfer case out of the Land Cruiser or LX470 myself. Marks 4wd makes a 3 spd conversion for the transfer with 10:1 gearing. That would work well with the automatic...
I'll look into this. I've seen wrecked 470s on eBay.

I would also do the front axle from a FZJ80 and the rear from the UZJ100 platform and keep it all Toyota.
Front and rear will be 65" Diamond Axles with Currie Hi-9 35-spline Detroit 3rds. Alloy shafts, full-float rear with discs, and so on. Staying all Toyota would be cool, but I don't know if Toy 3rds and shafts will stand up to a supercharged V8 and heavy 40s/42s.

The motto is basically "No f-ing around."

#11 ·
Sounds cool.

I wouldn't use those Toyota axles for 40+ tires if you plan on beating the heck out of it either.

The frame from the UZJ100 platform is more stout than the Tundra also, and you may not use as much tube :confused:

Remember, they sold around 20,000 of the UZJ100 platform vehicles each year since 1998 so the wrecked vehicles are around if you look for them :)

#12 ·
calamaridog said:
Sounds cool.

I wouldn't use those Toyota axles for 40+ tires if you plan on beating the heck out of it either.

The frame from the UZJ100 platform is more stout than the Tundra also, and you may not use as much tube :confused:

Remember, they sold around 20,000 of the UZJ100 platform vehicles each year since 1998 so the wrecked vehicles are around if you look for them :)
I think I get your drift on the 100-series frame: fully boxed and already equipped with the motor mounts and tranny/t-case crossmember. Then I just rework the body mounts to fit the Taco cab, cut whatever is left behind the cab for the tube bed, and do all my suspension mounts.

This was so obvious I looked right over it; don't try to turn the Taco into an LX, turn the LX into a Taco.

I've seen the way a lot of Lexus customers treat their vehicles, and I've seen some really trashed LXs, so that's definitely what I'll be looking out for in the coming years.

Thanks for the new perspective! :kewl:

#14 ·
calamaridog said:
I have been dreaming about getting a wrecked one, cutting the frame shorter, and sticking an FJ40 tub on top:)

And retaining the torsion bar IFS:D
Now that would be sick!

I found a few older LX470s on eBay for well under $10K; wrecked ones should be real cheap.

As soon as I told my buddy about this plan while chatting he said, "It won't be able to be I/M-ed." I know that Alaska requires the engine to be of the same family as the cab, i.e. Taco motor for Taco cab, but I think it can be refereed if the tailpipe emissions pass, which they will because the entire emission control system would be retained.

Not too worried about it, though, because it's a ways down the road for me and there are many ways to get it waivered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.