: Would This work For on-board air?

joeylead
01-23-2005, 08:19 PM
I was thinking if it can run long enough, and I added an additional 2 gal tank it could work? I would mount it in my toolbox and a tank under the bed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3868965414&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Heatstroke
01-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Well, if it actually is a 100% duty and actually pushes 3.4 cfm then you should have no problems. The higher end on board air systems run about the same cfm but not all are 100% duty cycle. I'm not sure of the reasoning but most air units like that don't recommend a tank larger than 3 gallon. If it's all legit, that's a good deal, imo.

SteveO
01-23-2005, 10:23 PM
I was thinking if it can run long enough, and I added an additional 2 gal tank it could work? I would mount it in my toolbox and a tank under the bed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3868965414&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Tons of guys on Pirate run them and are happy, search "buzzard gulch" over there and read up. ....Steve

xcmountain80
01-23-2005, 11:14 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7949621950&category=33586&sspagename=WDVW

SteveO
01-23-2005, 11:21 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7949621950&category=33586&sspagename=WDVW

That's what I've got but without a tank it's pretty slow compared to the one he posted. The 450c is 1.66 CFM while the Puma is 3-3.4 CFM. Are you using a tank with yours? How big?

xcmountain80
01-23-2005, 11:35 PM
No I am looking for one that I dont have to fab and I think the lowrider shops around have them but it would almost be cheaper to fab it up , ive seen propane tanks , thought about using one of my old dive tanks but just too heavy. I love the compressor it is a little slow but it does the job I think I paid $200 ish for it.

SteveO
01-24-2005, 08:32 AM
No I am looking for one that I dont have to fab and I think the lowrider shops around have them but it would almost be cheaper to fab it up , ive seen propane tanks , thought about using one of my old dive tanks but just too heavy. I love the compressor it is a little slow but it does the job I think I paid $200 ish for it.

I've got two 3gallon torpedo tanks off a compressor that I'm going to put in this week, should help out a lot. Go to Home Depot and find out where they send their compressors for warranty and see if they have any they're tossing out. I found a couple but they were a bit too big before I got these from a friend.

tbplus10
01-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Schedule 40 PVC capped off makes great air tanks, you can make them any length and most any diameter needed to hide in voids under the truck. Its inexpensive to work with. Not sure how well it would hold up in extremely cold weather though.

Tim

SteveO
01-24-2005, 11:10 AM
Schedule 40 PVC capped off makes great air tanks, you can make them any length and most any diameter needed to hide in voids under the truck. Its inexpensive to work with. Not sure how well it would hold up in extremely cold weather though.

Tim

I've heard of it being used before but I'm not sure of the safety factor with a plastic tank holding 4 gallons of air at 150PSI. You could do it but I'd be scared of it letting go when you're under there working or lowering the spare tire. ......Steve

tbplus10
01-24-2005, 11:50 AM
They hold pressure well, when they let go they normally crack and bleed out, not explode and spray plastic. I forget the blow out pressure on sched 40 but it's higher than 150psi. Alot of industrial sites use 1-2" schedule 40 to route internal air systems for shop tools. The major draw back is it's more susceptible to impact and vibration than a steel or aluminium tank. And again with the cold temps you guys get up north I dont know if the PVC would be affected by freezing.

It's been used on various equipment for years as a low cost and easy custom fit alternative to metal tanks. Look at a main water supply system sometime, a 4" line can push as much as 100psi before a reducer, and their all made of PVC now a days.

Even if you limited your system btwn 90 and 100psi and hid a few tanks in voids under the truck you could carry a large volume of air to speed up tire servicing.

It's an alternative to metal tanks that has'nt gained popularity due to the "fear factor". I was a little worried the first time I saw it in operation but have since come to trust them. I know one person that has a portable 4 gallon PVC tank for servicing.

Tim

SteveO
01-24-2005, 12:02 PM
They hold pressure well, when they let go they normally crack and bleed out, not explode and spray plastic. I forget the blow out pressure on sched 40 but it's higher than 150psi. Alot of industrial sites use 1-2" schedule 40 to route internal air systems for shop tools. The major draw back is it's more susceptible to impact and vibration than a steel or aluminium tank. And again with the cold temps you guys get up north I dont know if the PVC would be affected by freezing.

It's been used on various equipment for years as a low cost and easy custom fit alternative to metal tanks. Look at a main water supply system sometime, a 4" line can push as much as 100psi before a reducer, and their all made of PVC now a days.

Even if you limited your system btwn 90 and 100psi and hid a few tanks in voids under the truck you could carry a large volume of air to speed up tire servicing.

It's an alternative to metal tanks that has'nt gained popularity due to the "fear factor". I was a little worried the first time I saw it in operation but have since come to trust them. I know one person that has a portable 4 gallon PVC tank for servicing.

Tim

Sounds good but I think I'll stick with the steelies and if you can get them for free then the cost factor isn't an issue. I called a couple compressor repair places and both of them offered me old tanks for free so I've got two torpedos that should work great and fit next to the spare under the bed. Should be nice for filling tires now and running the ARB's all day without cycling the compressor. I'd like to see a PVC in action tough and see how it works in the cold. ....Steve

tbplus10
01-24-2005, 01:15 PM
If I could get tanks inexpensive or free I'd go with metal also, It's prefered, PVC offers a viable solution for a low cost. I'll hafta try calling some compressor repair places to see if theyre disposing of any, I never thought of that. Used tanks could also be modified by shortening or adding notches to fit in odd places then pressure tested fairly cheep.

Tim

joeylead
01-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Tons of guys on Pirate run them and are happy, search "buzzard gulch" over there and read up. ....Steve

thanks for reminding me to search there. It looks doable, especially if I mount it in my toolbox to keep it dry and clean.

98 Taco
01-24-2005, 09:50 PM
Steve, could you post some pics of your ONBOARD AIR SYSTEM
thanks

SteveO
01-24-2005, 10:11 PM
Steve, could you post some pics of your ONBOARD AIR SYSTEM
thanks

Right now it's in pieces around the garage. I've got a Viair 450C and a 150 PSI pressure switch that will fill two 3 gallon torpedo tanks mounted next to the spare tire. From there, I've got a filter/drier and a regulator feeding another manifold for my ARB's with a 100PSI popoff to protect the lockers if the regulator fails. Should be enough air to quickly and easily fill 33's and run an impact gun if needed. I'll let you know when it's together and get you a picture. .....Steve

Dick Foster
01-25-2005, 12:14 PM
I used PVC pipe for behind the rocker panel tanks but I used schedule 80. Schedule 80 is thicker walled so if nothing else is easier to drill and tap for 1/4" pipe fittings. However, I did use schedule 40 end caps because of cost and they are less exposed. So far it had not been any trouble. I could use a bigger compressor, ViAir 450, but space is limited under the hood these days.