TTORA Forum banner

1997 land cruiser

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Hector 
#1 ·
I have only owned Tacomas and 4Runners so I don't really know much about Land Cruisers but have always wanted one. I am looking at a 1997 Land Cruiser, 94,000 miles 40th anniversary edition. I've heard the 80 series is supposed to be a good vehicle. Is this true? Also is there anything particular I should be looking for when going through the vehicle? Any particular problem areas?

thanks

#3 ·
Bergger said:
I have only owned Tacomas and 4Runners so I don't really know much about Land Cruisers but have always wanted one. I am looking at a 1997 Land Cruiser, 94,000 miles 40th anniversary edition. I've heard the 80 series is supposed to be a good vehicle. Is this true? Also is there anything particular I should be looking for when going through the vehicle? Any particular problem areas?

thanks
I know which one you are talking about...I thought about it...but found out it was unlocked...so no good for me. Unlocked means having to add ARBs later...and re gear and all that crap. Like mentioned before me, head to ih8mud.com Or also http://www.sleeoffroad.com to the Newbie tech guide.

#4 ·
Definitely read the buyers guide at Slee and do a search on the 80 series forum at I8hmud.com.

90K = major service - find out if it was done or factor it into the cost.

Factory front and rear lockers are not found on all the vehicles so keep looking if you don't find one right away.

The 80 series is a great vehicle but the 100 series is better;)

#5 ·
As mentioned before, service records are a big plus. The 40th Ann. is one of the nicest looking (IMO) 80's you can get. mileage seems good, just don't get you're head ripped off. The 40th ones command a premium, but remember- an unlocked 12-14 mpg wagon gives you the bargaining power.

ARB's are not a difficult install, and regearing isn't neccesary up to 33's with the 4.5.

If you are looking for value (vs. bling), the best value is in the 91-92 3F versions. You can find low mileage (100-130k) soccer mom wagons in the $5-7k range... Birf repack, ARB's, 4.88's & 33's will take another $2,500- $3,000 and you will have a very comfortable, very capable rig for under 10k with a drivetrain good for 300,000 miles easy.

I personally think the 3F is a better motor.

#6 ·
been looking for over a year now and just as i give up and order my lift for the taco there she was. just got a 95 and broke my criterium which had been 100k miles or less, locked f/r, and 10+/- thousand dollars. stiff parameters but obtainable if you look and have patience. gas prices are on your side when buying (and against you from then on). i got 2 out of three though... locked and near 10k, but 200k miles( which was justified by the amount of preventative maintenance done as well as other mods.) and....its a toyota. the one you describe sounds nice so far and the suggestions above are great starts (slee's newbie guide, and the ih8mud site) it comes now to price vs your budget. here in NC id say you should work him for 12 or 12,5 go in with others printed off autotrader or cars. com and use them as ammo as well as the 90 k service and front axle service( bout a thousand if your not doin it yourself)and if you just want to pick from a slew of nice pre screened and are willing to drive then check out a guy named john in Elkins West virginia( i think its automart) who has nothing but nice 80's like 25 on the lot at a time. good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.