: Anybody know anyone with an STS Turbo in their Taco or Tundra?

SacTaco
12-06-2004, 11:04 AM
The 35's are killing my towing power, anyone ever hear of these STS Turbo guys?

http://www.ststurbo.com/tacoma_dyno

Gadget
12-06-2004, 11:49 AM
Regear.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com

SacTaco
12-06-2004, 12:26 PM
Yeah, that would work but wouldn't satisfy the 'ol power bug.
:D

Come awn, you're supposed to help me justify this, LOL.

ATLRoach
12-06-2004, 12:33 PM
STS will have major lag.. Not worth it in my opinion. Regear your truck, it will thank you!

WeasyS2S
12-06-2004, 01:06 PM
what about the supercharger?! Why wait for power? :)

SacTaco
12-06-2004, 01:40 PM
I wondered about possible lag but figured it isn't a 1/4-mile drag race car so who cares. Interesting testimonials though.

http://www.ststurbo.com/testimonials

AzHobbes
12-06-2004, 03:55 PM
You could supercharge, but then you would have to go with fuel upgrades too.. but the first thing that HAS to be done in my mind, is gearing.

Cheers..

AzHobbes

obex26
12-08-2004, 05:41 PM
A few things come to mind with the STS turbo
1. Does it rain where you live?
2. Have you ever backed a boat into water with your truck?
3. 3500 for a delayed response does not seem justifiable.
4. Supercharger and 7TH injector are proven and more reliable and at a slightly lower cost.
5. This question has been asked on many boards do you work or are you trying to promote STS what is your purpose?
6. A few people have already mentioned the most obvious solution regearing it doesn't require fuel upgrades or additives.
7. If you regear it will still be cheaper and also give you a purpose to get lockers.
8. Don't forget to check your rack and pinion for leaks after all you are running a 35" tire and it does increase wear and tear.

YUNADERIS
12-09-2004, 12:17 AM
regear and then get a ford 302 :) ...forced induction in these little trucks is not as coo as a v8

TQM3 (Last IFS in AZ)
12-09-2004, 11:30 PM
The 35's are killing my towing power, anyone ever hear of these STS Turbo guys?

http://www.ststurbo.com/tacoma_dyno

I like Turbos and would like one for my truck but not this set up. This thing looks mickey-mouse to me, no intercooler, not to mention were the intake is located. I live in the desert we dont get much rain but when we do my truck would be hydro-locked. :(

SacTaco
12-10-2004, 06:05 PM
Oh, I don't lurk in any of the other boards so I missed those posts. Any good info there? What are the URLs?

Hokiruu
02-22-2006, 09:46 PM
that design seems to get eaten up by guys who have more money than knowledge about forced induction systems. IMHO the kit is pretty poorly designed. i am interested in designing and building a turbo kit for the tundra, but it would look much more like the systems Mustang guys are running.

CYi5
02-22-2006, 10:08 PM
You'll find the same remarks on other boards. The STS system is overpriced for what you get and as mentioned there are some disadvantages. Regear first for the 35's, then get a supercharger if that is not enough. I believe URD is coming out with a turbo for the 3.4 sometime in the future if you are set on a turbo setup for some reason.

Hokiruu
02-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Oh I just remembered, I stumbled across something at Flyin' Miata's website about how they just got a tundra as their shop truck and plan on twin turbocharging it to replace their old turbocharged 3.4L. I am sure this is just a for-fun-in-house project for them and not something that they will be producing, but it's worth keeping an eye on. Sac Taco, or anyone else for that matter, please don't hesitate to contact me if you are interested in talking about turbocharging a tundra. I would love to hear your ideas and share some of mine.

AK95Taco
02-22-2006, 11:07 PM
I still can't get over the fact you are trying to tow with stock gears and 35's!!

Like everybody said you will HAVE to regear, but if you are really interested in a turbo setup I would keep watching This (http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=72431) page and also URD.

The guy on Yotateck is a little more optomistic on the fuel upgrade requirments than I would be, so I would just plan on spending another $1k on fuel and timing stuff when budgeting. But this will still be cheaper than the supercharger and you "might" be able to get away with not running high octain gas every tank...

cvajs
02-23-2006, 07:25 AM
I wondered about possible lag but figured it isn't a 1/4-mile drag race car so who cares. Interesting testimonials though.

http://www.ststurbo.com/testimonials

for towing your are really after torq. a s/c will offer torq boost from idle, which would be better for your application.

i would suggest a s/c and new gears.

as i have said (as well as others) the STS offering is not optimal (no intercooler, bad location of parts, etc), BUT, it does work and $3500 for their kit is not that bad for a turbo setup. complete soup-to-nuts turbo setups done right will run well into the $5k range or more.

Gadget and Elsensei seem to know their stuff when it comes to s/c's and turbos on these vehicles. contact them and follow their advice. i'm working on my own turbo project for 3Rz, probably will be to "custom" for most, but it will be slick.

DCabTaco
02-23-2006, 09:36 AM
Did anyone notice this is a 1 year old thread.? Hopefully by now he has regeared, or learned more about the STS system as to stay away from it. A lot of people are working on turbos for the 3.4 and it looks like they are getting good results.

Supramann93
03-02-2006, 04:46 PM
For you CA guys STS is NOT Smog Legal. The SC is... also you have to fuel mod the TURBO AS WELL. Forced induction= lean conditions, thus fuel upgrades. Good Luck, personally SC with 7th and URD upgrade is best option in my book.