: AC Compressor

chipshot
04-25-2006, 09:17 AM
Not related to 4wd but I used to read alot here back in 99 when I got my Taco and figured it was the best place to get some feedback. Well the AC compressor is shot and I'm considering getting one of ebay. I just wanted to see if there were any details I would have to know and see if anyone had experience replacing with a salvaged or refabed compressor. I did a quick search and didn't find anything so any info or opinions would be greatly appreciatied.

btw..it's a 2000 v6

gsgallant
04-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Hmmm... a couple of weeks earlier and you could've bid on the one that I won on ebay. I got an A/C compressor including the clutch and mounting brackets in great condition off a 2001 Tacoma with 60,000 miles on it for $25 including shipping. The guy bought the engine and didn't need the A/C compressor. Right place, right time, I guess. Mine still works... I just bought that one as a spare.

There are others on ebay (remanned) that come up from time to time. The important thing with the A/C compressor is to run it periodically even when it's not hot out. It will prevent it from seizing.

You'll have to get a shop to empty (before you remove your compressor) and recharge (after you install your new compressor) the refrigerant in your system, because releasing refrigerant to the environment is a no-no. Good luck.

chipshot
04-25-2006, 10:10 AM
I planned on having a shop do it all. Not a good time for taking on a project. Thanks for the info.

So what is the deal with the clutch? I've seen some listed with clutch and others with no mention.

gsgallant
04-25-2006, 10:26 AM
The clutch and compressor have their own different part number. What doesn't work on yours? Is the compressor seized or is the clutch not working? It's really easy to check what works and what doesn't. To check the clutch, there is a small wire going to the compressor. Supply 12 volts to that connector, and the clutch should engage (electrical solenoid clutch) to lock the pulley to the compressor (when the AC is off, the clutch is de-energized, and the engine just freewheels the AC compressor pulley without turning the compressor)

chipshot
04-25-2006, 11:24 AM
The compressor is seized. The belt was spinning on the wheel.

gsgallant
04-25-2006, 12:04 PM
OK. Then as long as the clutch works OK, you should be able to just replace the compressor and save yourself a little bit of money by not buying a new clutch and pulley.

gsgallant
04-25-2006, 12:07 PM
The compressor is seized. The belt was spinning on the wheel.
So the belt was slipping on the wheel only when the A/C switch was on, right? If it's slipping all the time, then something else is not quite right. When the A/C is off, the pulley on the compressor that the belt goes around should just freewheel with very little resistance without turning the compressor. When the A/C switch is turned on, that's when the clutch will lock the pulley to the compressor.

chipshot
04-25-2006, 01:00 PM
So the belt was slipping on the wheel only when the A/C switch was on, right? If it's slipping all the time, then something else is not quite right. When the A/C is off, the pulley on the compressor that the belt goes around should just freewheel with very little resistance without turning the compressor. When the A/C switch is turned on, that's when the clutch will lock the pulley to the compressor.

crap, that makes me wonder....it was all the time if I remember correctly.....the belt had to be taken off to stop it from sqealing and smelling

gsgallant
04-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Well, is the compressor and clutch still on the vehicle, but with the belt removed? You can still test it. Let me know what configuration you're in right now and I'll give you as much info as I can. It will be later tonight before I can check replies again though.

chipshot
04-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Both are still on with the belt off. I originally took it into the dealership late last fall and they said it was seized. After they gave me a price I just told them to take off the belt becuase I wouldn't be getting it fixed until Spring and not by them.

gsgallant
04-25-2006, 05:44 PM
The quickest way to check is to unplug the wire connector that goes to the A/C compressor right at the compressor. That's the wire that supplies 12V to your clutch when the A/C is demanded on. With that connector disconnected, there's no way that your clutch can be energized. After disconnecting it, try to turn the pulley (just the pulley itself that the belt goes over not the part that's ahead of (towards the front of the vehicle) the pulley. If the pulley doesn't turn freely, then your clutch is probably seized, as well as your compressor.

chipshot
04-25-2006, 08:16 PM
I couldn't get my hand in there to unhook the wire but it didn't make a differance whether the AC was turned on or not. It turned but seemed pretty loose. You could jiggle the wheel a bit. There was melted belt line on and around it also.

I am assuming the clutch is the portion ahead of the actual belt wheel. I have asked the seller on ebay whether the compressors come with clutch as the pics have the above.