: 4runner Qs

Son of Mayhem
05-06-2006, 10:36 PM
89 dlx 4runner 4x4 31s
my switch for my rear window isnt working any starting points? :confused:

bad gas mileage...no leaks.... new plugs, cap, and wires, with seafoam ran through it. no check engine light and i just need some cheap parts to fit. :cool:

TIA

MsBlingTaco
05-06-2006, 11:36 PM
Well your rear window not working has nothing to do with your mechnical working of the motor or drivetrain. I'd check the switch and the connection first and make sure your getting the voltage to the window motor.

Vic stuff
05-07-2006, 12:17 AM
theres some relay(or somethin) in the back you should check too, but those switches are a pos! i dont have a factory switch anymore, lol

RedRunnertc
05-07-2006, 07:25 AM
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/RearWindow.shtml

also search on yotatech - way more tech info for the "pretaco" trucks and 4Runners over there

tacotoy
05-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Well your rear window not working has nothing to do with your mechnical working of the motor or drivetrain. I'd check the switch and the connection first and make sure your getting the voltage to the window motor.

is it the same quad relay in the drivers rear as what is in the newer trucks?

as for the engine stuff. have you checked your compression yet on the cylinders? and what engine do you have?

Son of Mayhem
05-07-2006, 09:46 PM

I really had no clue. i thought that the widow regulator helped with gas mileage. :bitchslap i was asking two different questions. :D anyways, it only works with the key, so i should check the connection first and then check the one in the back.

the engine is a 22re that runs better than my old one. but im just wondering if an inch bigger tire, with no lift gets worse MPG than a 4 year older lifted truck w/ more miles. :confused:

Vic stuff
05-07-2006, 10:05 PM
I really had no clue. i thought that the widow regulator helped with gas mileage. :bitchslap i was asking two different questions. :D anyways, it only works with the key, so i should check the connection first and then check the one in the back.

the engine is a 22re that runs better than my old one. but im just wondering if an inch bigger tire, with no lift gets worse MPG than a 4 year older lifted truck w/ more miles. :confused:

LMAO ^^ funny shizzle there, anyway dude sounds like your rear window switch is bad, the one on your center console thingy by the armrest, lmao i have an aftermarket switch on mine and it works swell. welll its permanently down for the summer now since my top just came off. as far as mileage what are you getting?

tacotoy
05-07-2006, 10:09 PM
also keep in mind that the gear ratios could be different and so while the tire size is smaller the gear ratio could be severely off effecting your actual miles traveled..... my speedo and odo are 10% off with the bigger tires on(i actually go more miles than my truck registers) figure out what your axle ratio's are and go from there....

Son of Mayhem
05-08-2006, 01:11 PM
LMAO ^^ funny shizzle there, anyway dude sounds like your rear window switch is bad, the one on your center console thingy by the armrest, lmao i have an aftermarket switch on mine and it works swell. welll its permanently down for the summer now since my top just came off. as far as mileage what are you getting?

Not sure yet, but ive only gone about 250 miles and ive spent 70 on gas...Where did you get your aftermarket switch? and i guess i need to check my axle code on yotatech when i get home.

Mythica
05-08-2006, 02:13 PM
Not sure yet, but ive only gone about 250 miles and ive spent 70 on gas...Where did you get your aftermarket switch? and i guess i need to check my axle code on yotatech when i get home.

I know you said "No leaks" but.... Does it leak?

I had that problem with a Bronco once. Come to find out a few loose stones had gotten in between the tank and the tank skid. The little pebbles acted like sand paper, putting a few tiny holes in the tank. I could never "see" it leak, but then one day, it was like a dam opening up, that precious, flammable fluid was all over the place.

You might snoop around a bit see if it is leaking any where.

the math: 70bucks divided by 2.90 a gallon, equals 24 gallons of gas.
250 miles divided by 24 gallons, equals 10.41 miles to the gallon........ You sure you dont have 2 to 4 extra cylinders in there ;)

good luck.

Mythica
05-08-2006, 02:17 PM
It has EFI ... Correct?

Or were they carbureted still in ' 89?

tacotoy
05-08-2006, 05:25 PM
It has EFI ... Correct?

Or were they carbureted still in ' 89?

its a 22re...... the e stands for efi.... a carb only would be a 22r

Vic stuff
05-08-2006, 06:32 PM

switch was from autozone/checker/napa/whatever the hell is near ya for a auto parts store, lol. hell 10-11 mpg youre rollin where i was 4 months ago, lol

MsBlingTaco
05-08-2006, 08:52 PM
I really had no clue. i thought that the widow regulator helped with gas mileage. :bitchslap i was asking two different questions. :D
yeah... my bad, oops :D
LMAO ^^ funny shizzle there
and you... shhhhhhhhh! ;) :p

Vic stuff
05-08-2006, 09:10 PM
and you... shhhhhhhhh! ;) :p

yah yah yah whatever, lol.

how ya been?

Son of Mayhem
05-08-2006, 09:53 PM
I know you said "No leaks" but.... Does it leak?

I had that problem with a Bronco once. Come to find out a few loose stones had gotten in between the tank and the tank skid. The little pebbles acted like sand paper, putting a few tiny holes in the tank. I could never "see" it leak, but then one day, it was like a dam opening up, that precious, flammable fluid was all over the place.

You might snoop around a bit see if it is leaking any where.

Thanks, im almost positive because i cant smell anything at all. im getting the valves done tommorrow( i tried and failed horribly) and im gonna throw in the header i got and hopefully it will run better, i also need to clean out the engine its grimy. any suggestions? :confused: I had to go threw this with my 85, but hopefully i can get it fixed before the wonderful gas prices get me. :D

Vic stuff
05-08-2006, 11:56 PM
do you know what gears you have yet? that is probaly hurtin ya too, but hell i dont remember what ratios were in the gen 1 runners anyway, lol.

MsBlingTaco
05-09-2006, 06:52 AM
yah yah yah whatever, lol.

how ya been?
Alright... a little stressed, but overall good. I think I am going to keep my multimeter for reasons unknown to me yet. I've kept a few tools, including my cordless drill and oil change tools. But if I decide to part with it I'll let ya know... Hope life's been treating ya well, maybe someday I'll have 4WD again and can join ya on the Jenny/Spring Creek runs... if I don't get a tow rig... :rolleyes:

pimptoy
05-09-2006, 08:48 AM
89 dlx 4runner 4x4 31s
my switch for my rear window isnt working any starting points? :confused:

bad gas mileage...no leaks.... new plugs, cap, and wires, with seafoam ran through it. no check engine light and i just need some cheap parts to fit. :cool:

TIA

i'd first check your switch those things suck mine on my old runner went out and i had to use a ground wire to the brown wire....i think.....to get it to go up i'd go down fine lol

Son of Mayhem
05-11-2006, 06:01 PM
ok, i have 4:10 gears, and it seems a little better after adjusting the valves, but im worried that its gonna be something serious, i cant think of a little thing to check, im gonna run 44k through it this weekend.

Vic stuff
05-11-2006, 09:27 PM
so is it actually running ok or is it hesitating, or just running great and shitty gas mileage, lol. if the last is your case lay off the skinny pedal ;) .

Son of Mayhem
05-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Its running great, im lost, i need to do the front cv boot and get some tires so i can just wheel it.

tacotoy
05-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Its running great, im lost, i need to do the front cv boot and get some tires so i can just wheel it.

you cant floor a 22re all the time and expect to get good gas mileage. if you drive like a grandma then you should see things durastically improve

Son of Mayhem
05-13-2006, 12:04 AM
Ive been driving better, but this thing is so much quicker than my 85 its hard not to. but my f150 i floor that damn thing all the time and its getting better gas, hopefully i can change this crap and go wheelin' next weekend.

tacotoy
05-13-2006, 07:19 AM
Ive been driving better, but this thing is so much quicker than my 85 its hard not to. but my f150 i floor that damn thing all the time and its getting better gas, hopefully i can change this crap and go wheelin' next weekend.

..... in time you will change your driving habits lol. but if you insist on flooring it expect to get bad gas mileage

Son of Mayhem
05-13-2006, 01:36 PM
its been better and ive been driving better, im looking to paint my rims and get new 31s to hold me over till summers over then lift it up and throw on some 33-35s and regear it hopefully by myself. it should be a bad ass toy this winter.

Son of Mayhem
05-21-2006, 02:47 PM
Anyone got ideas for sluggish get up from a light? i think i might have an exhaust leak, but not sure its sluggish until like 15 mph then it catches on and wants to go. and the occasional wobble at 40-45 and 68-72. i know weird, and vibrations while braking abruptly? the pads are good all around and the calipers were clear.

THANKS

Son of Mayhem
05-23-2006, 03:28 PM
Or a clicking noise with slight throttle in gear only, no matter what gear? it runs great and i just adjusted the valves, along with a new head. what kinda oil is good for a 187xxx mile truck? im getting some 30s here soon so gas will get better as well. i usually used 10w40, till the synthetics i got only were 10w30. does it really matter? :confused: