: Deer Hunting with a Taco

PRB_Ohio
05-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Well after 120,000 miles I finally met a deer that I couldn't dodge with my Tacoma.

I drive about 25k miles a year... and I've dodged a couple of deer with my truck... but not this time.

I was coming home from Troy saturday morning. I hit the deer inside the Dayton city limits - only about 2 miles from home. I was on Old Troy Pike about a quarter of a mile south of Needmore. I almost got it stopped, I just didn't see the damned beast soon enough.

I hope the body shop can put it back together... it is mostly plastic damage - I think. Look very closely above the License Plate and you can see the deer hair still stuck between the bumper and plate. The doe even got up and ran off - after I walked back and shined my flashlight on it.

I drove my Tacoma home after the police did a report... and there was no shimy or anything, seemed to track straight and true.

I hit the deer about 1am Saturday, and I got the check in the mail on Thursday... not a bad turn around. The initial estimate was $3,300; but of course, the Body Shop found a 'few things the estimator missed'. I actually spotted one thing on the estimator's paperwork I got from the insurance company - only one of the two "filler" pieces that fit between the bottom of the headlight and bumper. Both were knocked out by the impact.

As if I needed another reason to shoot the furry critters!

ohio03trdtaco
05-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Time for a aftermarket off-road bumper?

Hitting a deer sucks. I have three deer to my name. 2 deer hit with f-250 well on ran right into the side of the truck and 3 deer I hit with a 83 suburban. The suburban hit was the worst pushed the bumper back 3Ē on the passenger side and shove the fender into the door. Also the hit shorted my whole lighting electrical system out except the headlights, but drove home just fine. So far the Taco is deer free and hope it stays that way.

RedRunnertc
05-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Yep - time for a ARB, TJM, or Bentup (I don't think a tube type would be enough protection against deer)

So you're saying Needmore and Troy are right next to each other? Got any pix of roadsigns saying "Needmore Troy"?!?!?! :rofl:

PRB_Ohio
05-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Well, they cross anyhow....

I used to throw darts at a bar called "Need-one-more"...

SuperPoser
05-11-2006, 10:05 PM
So you're saying Needmore and Troy are right next to each other? Got any pix of roadsigns saying "Needmore Troy"?!?!?! :rofl:
oh my!

hehe

ohio03trdtaco
05-12-2006, 06:41 AM
Troy, You need to show Molly that intersection then I guess.

Good luck with the truck man. Also I youíre a hunter take a few out for me. The more dead deer the less live deer I have to worry about. I personally have never hutted but have tagged more than some hunters I know. Also some one out their stole the rack off of the deer I hit with the Suburban, they took the whole head and neck for a mount. I canít believe someone is out there with a deer on the wall going oh look at what I got this season.

PRB_Ohio
06-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Well, the final tally was $4,400 to get my Tacoma back in 'like new' condition.

I drove two rental cars for two weeks while it was worked on and when I finally got back into my truck, it felt weird.

The brakes are so much better than the rentals - PT Cruiser ("Loser") and a Malibu that I locked up a couple of times until I got used to it again.

Makes me - once again - happy I bought my Taco.

PRB

SuperPoser
06-01-2006, 01:57 PM
glad your taco is back home safe ;o)

RedRunnertc
06-01-2006, 02:23 PM
So when does the burly bumper come in? LOL

PRB_Ohio
06-02-2006, 01:24 PM
I was thinking of getting with my friend with the welder
:welder:
... and trying to make something out of the old bumpers... maybe a cross between a 'cowcatcher' (wikipedia says the correct term is 'pilot') they used on steam trains and a 'hedge cutter' (the 'rhinoceros' device invented by Allied Tank Crews in Normandy)... then maybe I can just drive around during the rut and fill my freezer right off the hood.

:saw:

tbst
06-02-2006, 08:53 PM
What happened w/truck?