: learning to fabricate

drguitarum2005
05-30-2006, 12:33 PM
for those of you that are able to fabricate your own metal stuff such as shackles and leaf hangers or whatever you need, where did you learn to weld and to cut metal and whatnot? i have no means whatsoever to leaarn any of this. i can be pretty handy with a wrench but past that, no one i know welds or fabs anything. where could i start?

LAW
05-30-2006, 01:19 PM
for those of you that are able to fabricate your own metal stuff such as shackles and leaf hangers or whatever you need, where did you learn to weld and to cut metal and whatnot? i have no means whatsoever to leaarn any of this. i can be pretty handy with a wrench but past that, no one i know welds or fabs anything. where could i start?
hang out at steves for the next bumper build!

Interex
05-30-2006, 01:31 PM
hang out at steves for the next bumper build!
That's that I'm planning on doing. And also trying to pick up with welding techniques. :welder: I currently have none. :o

drguitarum2005
05-30-2006, 01:48 PM
you'll have to forgive me for im still kinda new around here...who's steve?

grillmasterp
05-30-2006, 01:52 PM
- Find someone that knows how to weld
- Take a welding class at a community college
- Buy a welder and start attaching metal together

drguitarum2005
05-30-2006, 01:58 PM
- Find someone that knows how to weld
- Take a welding class at a community college
- Buy a welder and start attaching metal together

ive been searching for welding classes at my local colleges but none seem to offer it. HCC stopped their welding class it seems. how much is a welder? im not even sure what kind is the most useful for automotive fabricating...

Pink Taco
05-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Cy-Fair college still offers a welding class. I plan on taking it one of these days.

TacoManny98
05-30-2006, 03:40 PM
I know these two have programs for sure

San Jacinto College Manny locations Houston, North Houston, South Houston, Deer Park Tx
http://www.sjcd.edu/index.html

College of the Mainland Texas City Tx
http://www.com.edu/

I think this one also has classes
Lee College Baytown Tx
http://www.lee.edu/

These are all i can think of right now..

drguitarum2005
05-30-2006, 04:43 PM
the san jacinto one looks like it may work satrting in july, though it is decently far...

speedemon55
05-30-2006, 05:24 PM
ive been searching for welding classes at my local colleges but none seem to offer it. HCC stopped their welding class it seems. how much is a welder? im not even sure what kind is the most useful for automotive fabricating...

mig welders are the easiest IMO and don't go with the cheapest one out there. Good ones are miller, hobart, lincoln. I personally have experience with my dad's hobart handler 175 230v and love it. I think he paid about 700 bucks for it.

drguitarum2005
05-30-2006, 06:01 PM
my friend's dad has a mig welder but he is just learning how to use it. maybe i can learn once he learns. that seems to be my only option as classes are hard to come by around here. san jac is the only local place that has a class and registeration ends tomorrow so thats a no go.

weirdmexicantaco
05-30-2006, 06:19 PM
the san jacinto one looks like it may work satrting in july, though it is decently far...
HCC has Intro.to Welding Fund. starting July 10th to Aug. 13........ classes are from 7:00AM to 1:20PM on Mon.-Thurs. at central campus....... u can look it up the class number 43258..... I was planning on going to this one...... :D :D :D

weirdmexicantaco
06-01-2006, 08:57 PM
<<<<<< enrolled in the above mention class....... :welder:

drguitarum2005
06-02-2006, 12:53 PM
When is the deadline for registering for that? Today I am registering for my first session academic class at HCC because classes start Monday but session 2 for welding would be perfect. it would also get my used to waking up hella early for when my job starts in the fall. 6.5 hours of welding a day for 4 days a week? thats pretty intense, i think i'd like it!

drguitarum2005
06-02-2006, 03:25 PM
<<<<<< enrolled in the above mention class....... :welder:

do you know any details of the class? like what is required of us to buy for the class? helmet? supplies? etc?

weirdmexicantaco
06-02-2006, 08:20 PM
When is the deadline for registering for that? Today I am registering for my first session academic class at HCC because classes start Monday but session 2 for welding would be perfect. it would also get my used to waking up hella early for when my job starts in the fall. 6.5 hours of welding a day for 4 days a week? thats pretty intense, i think i'd like it!

do you know any details of the class? like what is required of us to buy for the class? helmet? supplies? etc?

last day to register for second session is July 11...... I am not sure about who is the teacher nor which book or material are required for the summer session...... u can find the spring 2006 course syllabi at http://ccollege.hccs.edu/Workforc/Manufac/jowens-wldg1421.htm

if u are interested in a welding certification check out http://ccollege.hccs.edu/Workforc/Manufac/wldg.htm

drguitarum2005
06-02-2006, 09:59 PM
i'm most likely going to take this class but im trying to find out how much its going to cost me in addition to the HCC tuition and what materials i'm going to have to buy

weirdmexicantaco
06-03-2006, 07:04 PM
I'll email the spring prof. about that tonight........ I will give them a call monday and find out for sure.......

If it come down to it...... I'll grab some gear from my dad's shop for the both of us......

drguitarum2005
06-04-2006, 02:43 PM
I'll email the spring prof. about that tonight........ I will give them a call monday and find out for sure.......

If it come down to it...... I'll grab some gear from my dad's shop for the both of us......

ive also sent him an email but he probably wont reply til the week. im about 99% sure im going to do it. i appreciate that offer on the gear, ill have to see what all is required/how much it costs. maybe at the beginning i could use it til im sure im going to stick with it and buy my own gear. thanks!

drguitarum2005
06-16-2006, 01:05 AM
also enrolled in the above mentioned class