: SoCal Mountains/Forest Wheelin ?

SunDevilShane
06-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Used to live up in WA state, I definitely miss all the random logging trails that run off into nowhere. You could drive across the state (north/south) just on logging roads alone. I remember having to clear out spots to place our tents and there was never a problem with open campfires.

Lived in SoCal now for a couple of years and can't say I have found any camping/offroading areas that have impressed me all that much. Obviously SoCal's terrain and population are quite different from that of the majority of the Pacific Northwest. That being said, is anybody familiar with any "desolate" mountain territory within a few hours (3-4hrs) drive of the L.A. area? Looking for some place to get out on the mountain trails and up in the forest a bit...do some weekend exploring and maybe drop a fishin pole in a mountain lake/creek or something... :dunno:

peekay331
06-08-2006, 11:59 AM
yes, the eastern sierras, lake isabella area, even big bear lake to a certain extent. out of those, the eastern sierras are probably your best bet, but it is more like 5-6 hrs. away.

SunDevilShane
06-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Thats the mammoth lakes area, correct?

miguelitro
06-08-2006, 12:18 PM
go to jawbone east of mojave on the 14, take jawbone canyon road north to piute mountain road or to kelsow vly road go explore, dont get lost its easy up there...
might be some wheeling but lots of beautiful pine forest. that is near isabella. i just dirt bike there but there are some roads and such

peekay331
06-08-2006, 12:19 PM
mammoth is part of the eastern sierras. however, there is plenty to do south of mammoth, i.e. not as far from here. i was just up there this past memorial weekend, and there are hundreds of nice trails, some leading to lakes, streams, etc.

SunDevilShane
06-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Miguelitro,

i went up to jawbone this weekend, took it up to piute mtn rd and drove around a bit. found some old abandoned mine (large enough to drive my truck into, but of course i didnt because im not that stupid) and we found some great camping spots that were very well secluded and distanced from other people and I stayed the night on Saturday

i definitely plan to go again with a larger group of folks...the only thing that would have made it better was if we could find such a secluded spot with some water (creek/pond/etc) didnt see much water up there and i bet lake isabella looks like the county fairgrounds on the weekend during the summer

anyhow, just wanted to let you know that your info was helpful and much appreciated

Tanto
06-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Up there is Crytal Lake in Orange County, about 2 hrs south of you. Private lake and you can camp pretty much wherever you please on the edge. Good fishing in that lake and a lot of people come out to fish the cats at night.

Hungry Valley is north of you where there's some good camping at the end of the Miller Jeep Trail and is accessible via a graded fire road. 6300 feet to camp has some killer views.

miguelitro
06-13-2006, 09:30 PM
cool glad you enjoyed it!

Inspectorgadgets
06-15-2006, 11:28 PM
Go to Big Bear, take 91 East to the 10 E., take 330/38 exit to Big Bear to the 18.

Go left of the dam once you get there, this will take you to Fawnskin, go thru town and past the Discovery Center. Once you get close to the end of the lake you will see another lake, this is called Lake Baldwin (Dry Lake) but I think it has some water in it now. Start looking on your left for a trail after the second bend, it is marked 3N69.

This trail will take you to the top of the mountain and then to the back side, you have a few challenges to pass before you get to the top, 33's and locker should be ok, anything less is a real challenge.

Its a nice run, about 45 min or so, and then the exit with a rock garden. Once you exit, go left. Several other trails in the area, harder than that one, I would have to take you to them one day.

Bring a lunch, water, Jack, Spare, tools, tow strap and a camera.

There is another place in San Diego, someone should pipe in on that.
-Mike

not2XS
06-25-2006, 01:17 AM
Its not really "Socal territorry", but if you're looking for forest you could maybe head up to the Shaver Lake area. Its up by Fresno. Is that within range for you? There's a Norcal run next weekend.

Son of Mayhem
07-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Over west of temecula there's a town that starts w/ an 'a' and if you pass it to like Santa rosa, Thomas Mountain, its kinda by lake hemet, there are a ton of logging roads and everything you can thing of, plus its awesome snow wheeling.

TACODOC
07-03-2006, 12:41 AM
Like they said, Big Bear is good and easy to find.

Also, you can hit the I-15 E to the 395 N. Take 395 up to Bishop. Get a local topo map, tons of cool wheelin' up there :cool:

In desert season (winter) head south on I-5 to Oceanside, take the 78 E out past Julian to Imperial County. Anzo-Borrego is nice, as is Ocatillo Wells OHV Area if you wanna try desert wheelin' :cool:

And there is always Baja, great fishing and wheelin' :D

I'm from Washington too. One thing I've learned down here is unlike Washington, if you want to camp and wheel you must drive a ways to get there ;)