: FJ for tow rig?

padesertboy
06-23-2006, 08:48 AM
prob. gonna need a tow rig in the next couple years for my runner. Toy says it will tow 5K, my runner and trailer would be pretty close to that.....

So, would the FJ do it well? or just enough to get the job done? I noticed it is kinda heavy, especially for it`s size. The TACO with tow pack has a higher towing capacity 6500 I think...VERY HAPPY with all the toyotas I`ve been owned. Or I could get a used ram with a cummins..., but would rather have all yotas.

Anyone tow with an FJ, gimme feedback.

OFRD_GRL
06-23-2006, 08:59 AM
i tow a horse trailer with my FJ...

the trailer empty is 2400lbs
with my horse and a friends horse and all our gear im at like 4800lbs

it does great empty - barely notice the trailer at all
with all the stuff it still does decently. i wouldnt pass it as an option if your not trailering every weekend. but if your trailering OFTEN i would get something that has a higher tow capacity. you really dont want to constantly tow at your max capacity :)

Valkyrie
06-23-2006, 08:59 AM
I wouldn't be in a rush to go max tow capacity with a poor visibility, short wheelbase vehicle. A test run with a 20'+ Fleetwood Evolution II (3,400# loaded) was scary.

Tundra is a much better value and would be my first choice... mileage is close to a Taco, interior room, cargo room & visibility are better suited towards your needs and they are giving them away until the 2007's roll out.

Of course, "probably" in the "next couple of years" makes this discussion pointless at this time IMHO... the next generation Tundras will be affordable by then and an even better tow vehicle.

98taco4x
06-23-2006, 09:40 AM
I would go with a Tundra as well, I have pulled my 83 with my taco and its not fun and the truck hates me afterwards.