: Evaporative Emissions small leak code

dylanscott
07-13-2006, 07:02 PM
So after driving up the 4x4 trail to Crestone trailhead (about 11,000ft)...I started smelling some gas. The next day may check engine light came on. I took it in to my auto guys and they said it tripped an "Evaporative emissions small leak code" They couldn't find any obvious leaks though and suggested I bring it in to a toyota dealership. Apparently they have a high tech machine that can tell you exactly where the leak is. Question is...does anyone know what this leak might be? I'm assuming the increased pressure from the altitude made some connection give a little. Not sure though and I don't like to go to toyota dealerships cause they charge so stinkin much. Thanks for the help!

AK98Taco
07-13-2006, 07:47 PM
Most common cause for that code is a loose/leaking gas cap or a loose emissions hose under the hood.

ToyTec
07-14-2006, 11:04 PM
So after driving up the 4x4 trail to Crestone trailhead (about 11,000ft)...I started smelling some gas. The next day may check engine light came on. I took it in to my auto guys and they said it tripped an "Evaporative emissions small leak code" They couldn't find any obvious leaks though and suggested I bring it in to a toyota dealership. Apparently they have a high tech machine that can tell you exactly where the leak is. Question is...does anyone know what this leak might be? I'm assuming the increased pressure from the altitude made some connection give a little. Not sure though and I don't like to go to toyota dealerships cause they charge so stinkin much. Thanks for the help!
Yea, try a new gas cap, and clear the code. If that is all it is, Cheap fix!

spindleshanks
07-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Crestone trailhead? Where's that?

Vic stuff
07-14-2006, 11:26 PM
omg jeremy i heard this rumor you use to live in crestone, lol. remind me tomorrow about crestone, ill share my stories from there, my buddies parents use to live near there

dylanscott
07-17-2006, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. I'll try that. Crestone Peak's trailhead is in the Sangre de Cristo mountain range. It's a beautiful hike!

snake35
07-20-2006, 09:43 PM
It's Jake (the dude that got your old spare) Thanks a bunch for that.
I've been offline for awhile, but I was wondering what size tire your running on 15" rims. I have a BFG KO A/T in 31/10.50/15 off my old 4-Runner. It's in good shape (75%) if you want it...it's yours. Let me know!

dylanscott
08-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Hey Jake,
Glad you were able to find the tire alright. Again sorry about forgetting to bring it with me. I'm currently running 31" Mud max tires...and waiting patiently for them to wear out so I can put on my 32's I bought awhile back. I appreciate the offer, but don't think I'll need it. I've got a friend who may be interested though. I'll ask him.

spindleshanks
08-03-2006, 07:48 PM
I thought so! I grew up in Crestone.