TTORA Forum banner

Anybody ever wheeled an 80 series diesel ?

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Hector 
#1 ·
Recently came accross a really good condition 1991 HDJ81 Ltd Land Cruiser w/ 4.2L Turbo Diesel from Japan for somewhat reasonable. I have been considering upgrading my 91'4Runner to a Tacoma. But found a hdj81, that looks great, drives great, low km's and diesel efficiency, factory lockers. Do you think this is a good platform for a build truck ? I know it will be great for Canadian winters, and comfortable for travel/growing family. I've heard rumors of people saying they will go anywhere, but a little advice might just give me (and wifey) the nudge I need, so I can get a new Toy.
Thanks for your time and hopefully your two bits...

#2 ·
Well I dont know a whole lot technically about the 80's, but I do like them and a diesel 80 series sounds cool! :D

#3 ·
I would buy it and if the wife gives you to much trouble or you decide you don't like it you could always turn around and sell it on here. But it sounds like a good buy on a great vehicle.

#5 ·
Thanks for the help. Very anxious to own a Diesel Toy as the start of trail ready rig (already working on fab'in up some burly sliders ) don't think I can wait/afford for the new Tundra in 09'. Think we are going to move ahead on it. BUT DOES anyone have any insight maybe from Japan, S. America, Oz or NZ experience ? I'm sure it will go further, with more comfort, then my welded 4Runner, But is there anything I should take into consideration ? known problems with hdj81 ??
Thanks-n-rubber side down,
MJ :welder:

#11 ·
Would this be a right hand steer from Luxury Imports?
The 80 series are extremely popular with the Aussies.
A guy here in town has a gray one with what looks like 6'' of lift, its hard to tell, but its fricken huge!!! It has right hand steer. Wicked rig! It looks like he wheels the crap out of it. The door panels are scratched to hell, probably from trees. The trails around Ont. are pretty narrow! Gotta love the diesels! I would love a 80 series! If the price is good.........treat yourself!

#12 ·
do it! once you go 80 you wont go back. there were two japan imports outside edmonton about a month ago. Do check to make sure they will or do meet all final inspection and safety regulations and as valkyrie mentioned look on Ih8mud and do a search in both 80's teck and diesel sections. a wealth of info and just for kicks there is a diesel 80 w/ 6'' lift and 37's still getting 22mpg..... so go ahead make us jealous. it is a big truck but look underneath and youll see everything is built beefy. best of luck

#13 ·
thanks guys, found a ton of info at IH8Mud.com. Did a ton of searching, and found a semi-local guy who does alot of Japanese Imports, mostly J. spec sports cars and luxury sedans, but has recently brought in a couple beautifull 40's with super low km's. Possibily thinking of going the more difficult route of dealing with auction, shipping, fee's after fee's after fee's ... and try and pick up exactly what I want.. HDJ81 4.2L Turbo Diesel w/intercooler, new BEB's, factory lockers, roof rack with low km's that's clear coat is peeling and cosmetics may be slightly off... LOL !

Thanks again for all the help,
MJ
:rolleyes:

#14 ·
adventureimports.net over in ottowa may have some advice for you or a vehicle. Also dont forget the VX models imported from england (diesel as well) good luck and let us know what you get

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.