: OME Lift Kit Installation Completed - Pics

sbechtold
07-17-2006, 10:17 PM
Today I received my OME lift kit from the great folks at Toyota of Dallas (aka www.fjcruiseroffroad.com and www.trdparts4u.com and www.toyotapartsales.com). Valkyrie (Chris) was awesome in helping me select the right components to meet my needs. Thank you Chris!

I took my time and completed the installation in about 4.5 hours and will have it aligned at the Toyota dealer tomorrow. I have to say that the installation was very straightforward and with the step-by-step instructions provided by Toyota of Dallas there were no hiccups. I am not a mechanic, just a person that is dangerous with tools :), and I think the install went very smooth.

I took some measurements prior to installation and afterwards. The lift kit increased the front height by 3.25" and the rear height by 2.75". The suspension will settle with time, so I plan to take more measurements in a week or so. While I haven't driven it very far yet, the ride is much better than stock. I will post more on the ride characteristics after I get it aligned and have a chance to get some in-the-seat time.

Here is a list of what I installed.

Front:
OME885 Springs
OMEN140S Struts
OME95PF5 Trim pack

Rear:
OME896 Coil springs
OMEN142 Rear shocks

I selected these specific components for the following reasons:

1) I have an ARB Bull Bar and Warn M8000 winch on my FJ already (think: +190 lbs on the front)
2) I will be purchasing a rear bumper w/tire carrier when available (think: +100 lbs on the rear)
3) I have already upgraded tires & wheels (285/70-17 MT/R's) that weigh more then stock (think: +30 lbs on the rear)
4) I will load my FJ up for extended camping trips and wanted improved cargo carrying capacity over stock
5) I use a hitch mounted dirt bike carrier to haul my CRF450R (think: +250 lbs on the rear)
6) I will probably do some towing with my FJ
7) I intend to wheel the heck out of my FJ and wanted increase height and articulation improvement over stock

Here are a few pictures:

This picture is of everything that was installed. Note: The strut/spring compressor that I used was from AutoZone. They offer free tool rentals for 1 week.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c7/sbechtold/FJC/OME/ome-1.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c7/sbechtold/FJC/OME/ome-3.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c7/sbechtold/FJC/OME/ome-4.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c7/sbechtold/FJC/OME/ome-5.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c7/sbechtold/FJC/OME/ome-6.jpg

Fj Cruiser #8
07-17-2006, 10:24 PM
looks just as good here as it does at the other place :xozzy:

MissFJ
07-17-2006, 10:28 PM
NOW can you come out and play :p This is your last excuse not to right :D

It's looking good now that it's all come together. Nice to know you think the ride is better than stock. You may have swayed me to this route...

sbechtold
07-17-2006, 10:37 PM
NOW can you come out and play :p This is your last excuse not to right :D

It's looking good now that it's all come together. Nice to know you think the ride is better than stock. You may have swayed me to this route...

Yep, no more excuses. I can come out and play now. Are you going to Hollister this weekend? If so, your welcome to drive it in order to help you make up your mind about the suspension. If not, another time.

Valkyrie
07-17-2006, 10:38 PM
Great! I'm glad it came together easily! Let me know how those rear springs work for you- keep a full tank of gas in it! ;)

sbechtold
07-17-2006, 10:42 PM
Great! I'm glad it came together easily! Let me know how those rear springs work for you- keep a full tank of gas in it! ;)

Thanks again Chris. Everything worked out perfect and easy to boot!

Believe it or not, they're not nearly as stiff as I originally thought they would be. I'm used to driving a Chevy 4x4 HD2500 Crew Cab. You want to talk about stiff...!

MissFJ
07-17-2006, 10:46 PM
Yep, no more excuses. I can come out and play now. Are you going to Hollister this weekend? If so, your welcome to drive it in order to help you make up your mind about the suspension. If not, another time.
Of course you would offer to let me drive it when I'm outta town. [enter 100 explicitives here] next time, next time :(

sbechtold
07-17-2006, 10:48 PM
Of course you would offer to let me drive it when I'm outta town. [enter 100 explicitives here] next time, next time :(

I'll leave it as an open offer for next time everyone gets together.

MissFJ
07-17-2006, 10:59 PM
I'll leave it as an open offer for next time everyone gets together.
Why thank you :D

GOT COPE?
07-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Badass, good lookin FJC.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c7/sbechtold/FJC/OME/ome-3.jpg

jon_7248
07-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Thanks again Chris. Everything worked out perfect and easy to boot!

Believe it or not, they're not nearly as stiff as I originally thought they would be. I'm used to driving a Chevy 4x4 HD2500 Crew Cab. You want to talk about stiff...!

That "Like a rock" suspension is truly like a rock!

chocolateblnt
07-21-2006, 10:21 PM
I was just wondering what was the TRIM PACK for?! Was the vehicle not exactly level post lift?! Also I was wondering if you could do me a favor and measure your FJ's total height even with the roof rack!!! ... I am wondering if I lift my FJ if it will fit into my small garage. I just got the ARB bumper and want to get the OME lift as well but I need to know the vehicle's total height :) Oh and if you don't mind letting me know the price on the suspension without labor, I appreciate it greatly!

Oh by the way ... we are neighbors :p I work in San Jose and Live in Sunnyvale ... did you get your stuff from 4 Wheel Parts?!

KungFooo
07-22-2006, 01:03 PM
What was the total cost of the lift?

sbechtold
07-22-2006, 07:58 PM
I was just wondering what was the TRIM PACK for?! Was the vehicle not exactly level post lift?! Also I was wondering if you could do me a favor and measure your FJ's total height even with the roof rack!!! ... I am wondering if I lift my FJ if it will fit into my small garage. I just got the ARB bumper and want to get the OME lift as well but I need to know the vehicle's total height :) Oh and if you don't mind letting me know the price on the suspension without labor, I appreciate it greatly!

Oh by the way ... we are neighbors :p I work in San Jose and Live in Sunnyvale ... did you get your stuff from 4 Wheel Parts?!

The trim pack is used to level out the front end. My driver side was lower by <.25" before the lift. The front is now equal on both sides. I ordered the OME lift from Toyota of Dallas (www.fjcruiseroffroad.com) and it was $699 shipped to my house. Labor was free -- I installed it. :) Send a PM to "valkyrie" for more information/ordering of the lift. Chris runs the part dept and can help you choose the right setup for your needs. I would not go to 4WP.

Here is a picture of my FJ in an 84" garage door opening prior to the lift being installed. The 2x4 spans the roof rack at the highest point. Add 3" to the bottom of the piece of 2x4 and you'll get my FJ's actual height post lift.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c7/sbechtold/FJC/garage.jpg

sbechtold
07-22-2006, 08:10 PM
What was the total cost of the lift?

$699 shipped to my house from www.fjcruiseroffroad.com.

chocolateblnt
07-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Don't the 285 wheels add height as well?! How come you don't like 4WP?!

sbechtold
07-22-2006, 09:06 PM
The 285's were on the FJ when I took the picture. WRT 4WP, I buy parts there from time to time, but I won't let them touch my trucks. Too many horror stories from friends that had work done there.

TEJASYOTA
07-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Nice!