: Cheap and easy spare tire holder mod

Brain
12-07-2004, 12:25 AM
While my bedbar only has 1 thing going across, I recommend 2 spaced about 6" apart to minimize tire wobble-age while wheeling. I did this because I was tired of my spare doing whatever the hell it wanted to, plus I can still slide things underneath the tire.
http://www.norcalttora.com/~reynolds/random%20pics/tiremount.JPG
http://www.norcalttora.com/~reynolds/random%20pics/tiremount1.JPG

Valkyrie
12-07-2004, 08:06 AM
What makes this a great mod is the re-use of the old tire winch. I would have never thought of it! Good job...:)

jjrambo
12-07-2004, 10:54 AM
While my bedbar only has 1 thing going across, I recommend 2 spaced about 6" apart to minimize tire wobble-age while wheeling. I did this because I was tired of my spare doing whatever the hell it wanted to, plus I can still slide things underneath the tire.
Instead of adding a second bar I would say to add under the bar a spacer of about 4 inches or so. That way you can have easier access to the crank portion of the winch with the tire iron. at the bottom of the 4 inch spacer a flat plate.

or with the double bar setup just put some 4 inch lower extensions on there and run a plate inbetween.

just my :2cents:

4xClover
12-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Hmmmm.....I remember seeing that in Moab! :D

Brain
12-07-2004, 04:08 PM
Hmmmm.....I remember seeing that in Moab! :D

Did you see my tire flopping around?? LOL

Brain
12-07-2004, 04:10 PM
What makes this a great mod is the re-use of the old tire winch. I would have never thought of it! Good job...:)

Thanks Chris, there were just a few things I would've rather done. I think when I make a new bedbar, it'll be a double round tube one. :D

Brain
12-07-2004, 04:11 PM
Instead of adding a second bar I would say to add under the bar a spacer of about 4 inches or so. That way you can have easier access to the crank portion of the winch with the tire iron. at the bottom of the 4 inch spacer a flat plate.

or with the double bar setup just put some 4 inch lower extensions on there and run a plate inbetween.

just my :2cents:

I don't even use the stock crank that came with the truck, a screwdriver works fine!

jjrambo
12-07-2004, 04:26 PM
I don't even use the stock crank that came with the truck, a screwdriver works fine!
good point I guess, but that's just how i would do it. I do like the idea none the less. But seeing as I am more apt to have a lowerd truck I'll never be diong something like that unless I finally start making the cash I want to and can afford to have more than one good toy.

Zackattak
12-07-2004, 04:40 PM
Hey that looks great! thats cool how you used the stock spare hanger thing.
Zack

Brain
12-07-2004, 04:42 PM
Hey that looks great! thats cool how you used the stock spare hanger thing.
Zack

Thanks Zack!

FAUX X 4
12-07-2004, 05:14 PM
hmmmmm.....I'll have to remember that when I finish the bed cage for a second spare mount!!! ;)

4xClover
12-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Did you see my tire flopping around?? LOL

Yep! Remember that too!!! :D

4xClover
12-07-2004, 06:33 PM
hmmmmm.....I'll have to remember that when I finish the bed cage for a second spare mount!!! ;)

POSTWHORE!!! :xmoon:

Brain
12-08-2004, 12:18 AM
POSTWHORE!!! :xmoon:

Hahaha we are all post whores...I mean...yeah and stuff :cool:

Zzyzx
12-08-2004, 11:42 AM
Sweet little trick Brian. How far off the bed is the tire?

I know, I know, postwhore! :xpimp:

Brain
12-08-2004, 05:53 PM
James, the tire is about 10" off the bed. Not a lot of room but still enough to get things underneath

KStacoma
12-08-2004, 06:19 PM
That is an awesome idea! does it put stress on the bed rails though when the tire moves around?

RaideRNatioN
12-08-2004, 08:13 PM
Very cool. I like the use of the stock tire winch.

YUNADERIS
12-09-2004, 01:21 AM
sweet

where is the panhard?

hytenor
12-09-2004, 02:38 AM
http://www.norcalttora.com/~reynolds/random%20pics/tiremount.JPG
http://www.norcalttora.com/~reynolds/random%20pics/tiremount1.JPG

slick idea ;)
I would still come up with something under the tire to keep it tight to the bed or you may wind up ripping that bed bar right off during some crazy wheeling
(not that you drive like Dale or anything ;)

Brain
12-09-2004, 03:44 AM
That is an awesome idea! does it put stress on the bed rails though when the tire moves around?

Thanks! It doesn't really put stress on the bed rails. Once I get off my lazy ass and buy more steel, I'll report back and let you guys know how my double round tube bed bar/tire holder works out.

Brain
12-09-2004, 03:45 AM
sweet

where is the panhard?

I think on Friday I'm gonna start building one. I hope my Ferd shock towers aren't in the way of mounting the frame mount for the panhard...

Brain
12-09-2004, 03:49 AM
slick idea ;)
I would still come up with something under the tire to keep it tight to the bed or you may wind up ripping that bed bar right off during some crazy wheeling
(not that you drive like Dale or anything ;)

Thanks Chris!! I think if I were to put something under the tire, it would ruin the space that could be used so I figure if I made a double tube bed bar with them spaced apart, it might solve the problem. Dean also came up with the idea to just bend some tube and weld it parallel to the bedbar but sticking out over the tire so it doesn't bounce around. I think it would still bounce around a bit with that, with 2 round tubes, there is equal force being put onto the tire in 4 places instead of 2. Make sense? LOL

hytenor
12-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Thanks Chris!! I think if I were to put something under the tire, it would ruin the space that could be used so I figure if I made a double tube bed bar with them spaced apart, it might solve the problem. Dean also came up with the idea to just bend some tube and weld it parallel to the bedbar but sticking out over the tire so it doesn't bounce around. I think it would still bounce around a bit with that, with 2 round tubes, there is equal force being put onto the tire in 4 places instead of 2. Make sense? LOL

its the bouncing around that will eventually wear/fatugue and finally break the metal. the weight of the tire/wheel makes for a big lever. Mounting the tire hoist to a double bar and then adding something like what the stock spare holder has should do the trick though. That will transfer most of the stress to the tire brackets and bars. If later on it looks like the frame rails are getting still getting to stressed you can beef them up where the bars are mounted. I've seen some 1/8" diamond plate rail caps that would take care of that.

now you got me thinking of doing the same for my extra spare ;)

YUNADERIS
12-10-2004, 01:12 PM
you can cut the part off the back if you want....thats if you gusseted the sides.....i know my towers are mounted high on the frame with little on the motor side...but we used 3/8ths plate to gusset mine

Brain
12-10-2004, 04:10 PM
you can cut the part off the back if you want....thats if you gusseted the sides.....i know my towers are mounted high on the frame with little on the motor side...but we used 3/8ths plate to gusset mine

Doooood, wtf are you talking about? Hahaha :D :p

hytenor
12-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Doooood, wtf are you talking about? Hahaha :D :p

see, he's lost it... :eek:

Brain
12-10-2004, 04:15 PM
see, he's lost it... :eek:

Damn Chris, you have rike a birrion posts!!! :p

hytenor
12-10-2004, 04:40 PM
Damn Chris, you have rike a birrion posts!!! :p

for now ;) this form is getting too time consuming to scan and reply to so I'll probably wind up on the cali board more often and cut back here.

Crash
12-10-2004, 04:48 PM
Brian is a post whore!!!! Could have added some brackets fuckstick. :D

YUNADERIS
12-10-2004, 04:49 PM
you need to keep up brian of black:)

i was talking making room for the panhard mount......if you mounted your towers high enough on the frame....then you would have room and i was telling you how i did mine

jjrambo
12-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Brian is a post whore!!!! Could have added some brackets fuckstick. :D
Fuckstick, this term just makes me laugh for no apparent reason when I see it. it's just a rather funny fraise.

Crash
12-10-2004, 04:51 PM
Fuckstick, this term just makes me laugh for no apparent reason when I see it. it's just a rather funny fraise.

I like fucktard also. :cool:

YUNADERIS
12-10-2004, 04:52 PM
I like fucktard also. :cool:
you have just accepted it :P

Crash
12-10-2004, 04:56 PM
you have just accepted it :P

What the hell are you talking aboot? :confused:

jjrambo
12-10-2004, 04:57 PM
I like fucktard also. :cool:That's another good one. I woncer how many fvck****** whatever there called there are.

YUNADERIS
12-10-2004, 04:57 PM
its cool Dan..we stil love you

Crash
12-10-2004, 05:04 PM
its cool Dan..we stil love you

Whatever your smoking, Please share! LOL

WATRD
12-10-2004, 05:56 PM
Okay guys, let's take the chit-chat to off topic and stop cluttering up the "Cheap Tricks" folder!

:P

hytenor
12-10-2004, 06:00 PM
Okay guys, let's take the chit-chat to off topic and stop cluttering up the "Cheap Tricks" folder!

party poop

WATRD
12-10-2004, 07:08 PM
party poop
Sorry, but I have a railroad to run here... ;)

YUNADERIS
12-10-2004, 07:58 PM

can you split threads and move the chit chat to another folder?

WATRD
12-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Nope. As a lowly mod of just this section, I have no powers beyond the confines of "Cheap Tricks". If it has to do with another folder, I am powerless.

All I can do is edit/delete posts and lock threads. It's frustrating because there is nothing between asking nicely and nuking posts :(

YUNADERIS
12-10-2004, 11:51 PM
it looks like i have the power to do it, but if we have to split threads to keep them on track, its going to be a lot of work....maybe not so bad now that we have more mods.....fark..i dunno....

Merry Christmas to you and your family :)

Brain
12-11-2004, 02:17 AM
I'm glad to see this is now a 5 page topic LOL Well here's some tech, the paint that I used on my bedbar after I welded that mount on was Rustoleum gloss black. :D

YUNADERIS
12-11-2004, 12:18 PM
hey brian

does that paint increase your top speed?

4x4Tacoma
01-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Hey i was wondering if anyone knew of good spare tire holder that will allow dirt bikes in the bed. I need a bigger spare but i need the use of my bed and i have 2 - 3 bikes every weekend so if anyone has any solutions thanks.

nhlbill
01-26-2005, 07:42 PM
That looks pretty cool! What if you added some bars that run from your cross bar to the front of the bed? I think that would stiffen it up quite a bit. IMO
Bill