: ok im confused about the ohio board...

OFRD_GRL
08-04-2006, 07:10 AM
i realize some people prefer the non swearing.. and Im ok with that. Personal preference. But I don't want to be lumped into that when I never stated that as my choice or opinion.
i didnt see ANY vote that i participated in stating IIIII didnt want swearing on our board as it has apparently been stated for me by a club member.
and i realize that people might swear in off topic... which i personally feel to be OK... because off topic is basically us BSing (note: i censored myself and didnt type the word out.. thank you.)
I realize we are looking out for "new members" or whatever and trying to give a good impression.. but honestly who wants to hang around with a bunch of politically correct, stiff as a board, offroaders? I would personally be turned OFF of a site if the people were refraining from being themselves... or were just really that stiff that they didnt swear or let loose once in a while..

hence why i dont really try to get any of the people off some of the other *site unmentioned* forums Im on to come out with us. Because they wouldn't be fun, and I wouldn't enjoy being around them and I doubt you would either.

and if you wonder why i bring this up (and i mention NO names)
in a conversation that apparently happened last night this was said in regards to the swearing. (basic jist being that ohio members dont want swearing even though the national board is OK with it...)

"i am merely respecting the wishes of my members
(including una BTW)"

I wouldnt have cared, except my name specifically was brought up and I NEVER mentioned anything about caring about swearing. If all of Ohio but una said no swearing, -OK-, but IIII didnt say it, so I dont understand why my name was brought up.

and if this pisses off... (ummm can i say that?)... anyone, im sorry. but i think youll understand because im sure you dont want yourself brought into a topic you dont agree with, just because everyone does.. whether it be something as insignificant as swearing, or political beliefs, or prolife vs pro choice (you get the drift)

RedRunnertc
08-04-2006, 07:54 AM
There wasn't a "poll", but there was much discussion - I'll have to search for the post - and it was pretty unanimous.

ohio03trdtaco
08-04-2006, 07:58 AM
I am not big on censoring. This thread is also an example of why I declined to be a mod. I know some people not to name names (Andy) :D have a tendency to go a bit over board with the cussing. Not every other word in a post hast to be fuck. Also I have to say when you are using the word Farwk instead of fuck what is the difference it is like a 12 year old say flock you same thing just finding loop holes in the rules. The same goes for spelling ass as @ss or what ever means the same thing. If you were to edit all of the respellings you would see just about every one would be guilty cursing. (Well besides Mike at least I think so) As for it being a rule I donít know. I know in the post whore thread previously that a post was made by not to name names again but (Andy) :D and that post was mostly cursing one of our mods (Mike) edited the post with out letting any one know that he was going to do it an why. That started this whole thing. Yes Mike did over step the bounds a bit and edit a post and just kind of make up a rule. Once that was done then this whole no cursing thing started.

I am not really a rules kind of guy I like guide lines better. The word rule makes me cringe and think back to school when I got the rules handbook and looked for loopholes so I could legally break the rules. Trust me those books are full of holes if you look hard enough.

Need to rename this thread Una and put /stickers in it. :D

ohio03trdtaco
08-04-2006, 08:01 AM
part of the conversation is a sticky in offtopic. It does say exsive though witch I take as you can but there is a point where it just has to stop.

link (http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42279)

Lysmachia
08-04-2006, 09:45 AM
My 2 cents. I am with Una. As a Mod on Colorado I hardly EVER mod posts - and if I do - I PM the offender first. Unfortunatly myself and the Colorado president were not on the same page and the exact same thing happened over there. He modded several posts and deleted a few without informing the offenders. WE have since talked and our opinions do still differ on what should be modded however, we at least agreed to let the offender know and respond first. But let it be known. Ever since that happened... colorado participation virtually DIED OUT. I mean it is almost GONE> We used to be as active if not mor eont he forums than Ohio. It created tension and bad blood and everyone fleed. Don't let that happen here...

RedRunnertc
08-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Well, it depends on the group. My understanding is that this was a more widespread problem in CO due to several, shall we say "hardcore", members.

NONE of our chapter people have even come close (well, except me LOL). I work in a steel mill, where language like that is acceptable - but it's not acceptable outside here. Unfortunately, I get so used to hearing it and talking that way, that it often "bleeds over" into normal conversation. That doesn't make it right.

The ONLY person to have a problem with it is Andy, and he is the only offender I am aware of. At this point, I don't really care if he participates over here or not, as I have not seen any value he has brought to any of our discussions. I mean half the stuff he's posted (on here) isn't even all that funny...

I am VERY proud of the Ohio Chapter peeps with how they present themselves both here on the forum and on the trail, and TTORA should be proud to have them as part of the membership.

OFRD_GRL
08-04-2006, 04:11 PM
i dont care about the swearing thing whatever... no sweat of my back... im just mad that MY NAME was brought into it. when i NEVER said anythign of the such.

99TanTaco
08-04-2006, 05:23 PM
The topic of swearing was originally brought up here http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38884 in post #9, I also agreed with it in post #10 but notice the key word "minimum" . I don't have a problem with the occassional F bomb but when you start using it (or other swear words) every other word in a post it starts to get a little offensive. I also figured that most people on here would be mature enough to try to regulate themselves rather than having to get mods involved. just out of curiosity has anyone who actually lives in Ohio and is a member complained about this? If it is bothering actual OH TTORA members maybe we need to get together with Troy and Mike and discuss this, otherwise it is like one uf us going over to the NorCal board and bitching about their rules.

SuperPoser
08-04-2006, 05:30 PM
most of you don't recall when most of the chapters had closed forums...
you had to join the chapter club, and then were allowed to post in the chapter forum...

at least the PA thread never had a problem with bad language...

I too have worked with people who like to swear... and I have wheeled with people who like to swear...

on that point... neither place was a family place...

this club is a family club...

if you can f this and f that on the national forum, go right to it...
the ohio chapter is not a place for that or other volgar discussions...

later
Mike

99TanTaco
08-04-2006, 05:39 PM
I thought the 1st rule of xxx ttora was "you don't talk about xxx ttora" not that it even exists or that I know anything about it

ohio03trdtaco
08-04-2006, 05:50 PM
I just donít like edit with out prior or post edit notification is all I was saying. Censorship should also be restrained a bit and it has. To my knowledge not a signal post has been edited unless it contained mostly cuss words. Also yes as far as I know not a single Ohio person has push the envelope with the cussing. Both side have a valid augment and since I donít cuss a lot on here I have no problem with some restraints being put on it. I just donít want it to get over board and have every post with a cuss word in it edited. I donít think Mike and Troy what that either because they would just be editing all day.

99TanTaco
08-04-2006, 06:02 PM
once in a while..

those are the key words, I'm betting the person complaining tends to use curse words frequently in his posts.

and no I don't believe you ever voiced your opinion on the subject

SuperPoser
08-04-2006, 06:03 PM
I just donít like edit with out prior or post edit notification is all I was saying. Censorship should also be restrained a bit and it has. To my knowledge not a signal post has been edited unless it contained mostly cuss words. Also yes as far as I know not a single Ohio person has push the envelope with the cussing. Both side have a valid augment and since I donít cuss a lot on here I have no problem with some restraints being put on it. I just donít want it to get over board and have every post with a cuss word in it edited. I donít think Mike and Troy what that either because they would just be editing all day.

andy did receive a pm stating not to use f---

I do not see the reason it needs to be used on this board... regardless the thread topic... but apparently some people do see a need :dunno:

SuperPoser
08-04-2006, 06:05 PM
I thought the 1st rule was "you don't talk about it" not that it even exists or that I know anything about it
sorry terry...lol
I'll probably be banned now...lol
oh well
haven't been there since ttora moved to the new forum, and I quit paying for delphi...lol

99TanTaco
08-04-2006, 06:10 PM
assuming it does exist I may have only visited it once and that was prob over a year ago if it did really happen.

99TanTaco
08-04-2006, 06:27 PM
I do not see the reason it needs to be used on this board... regardless the thread topic... but apparently some people do see a need :dunno:
I could go either way on this one, personally I am not offended by it unless it is used repetitively or being used as part of a derogatory insult pointed toward someone. Swearing occassionally does not bother me, in fact anyone who's been around me in the am when I'm tired (pre-coffee), or in the eve after a few beers has prob heard me utter a few choice words. however when posts become filled with swear words for no purpose whatsoever it becomes bordeline offensive. but that's just my opinion on the subject

I really could care less on this though, I'm fine with whatever the majority want or is decided by you and Troy on this issue

OFRD_GRL
08-04-2006, 06:32 PM
and no I don't believe you ever voiced your opinion on the subject

thank u :)

99TanTaco
08-04-2006, 06:35 PM
your welcome, it took me a few minutes to read thru all this crap before I realized that was the point of this thread

Froggygirl
08-04-2006, 07:08 PM
I just like being part of mature conversations. Conversations can be mature and funny with very little cursing. :)

Angry Andy
08-04-2006, 07:29 PM
The ONLY person to have a problem with it is Andy, and he is the only offender I am aware of. At this point, I don't really care if he participates over here or not, as I have not seen any value he has brought to any of our discussions. I mean half the stuff he's posted (on here) isn't even all that funny...

I am VERY proud of the Ohio Chapter peeps with how they present themselves both here on the forum and on the trail, and TTORA should be proud to have them as part of the membership.

Your right...I do have a problem with it...but thats just me. And Im fine with that....I guess since Mike Pm'ed me, I kinda went loose.

I just dont understand the difference between the wording of a curse word. You let others get away with a slight modification of a certain word (or words)...and deep down, everyone KNOWS what they are saying. Either EDIT the whole thing (misspelling curses also) or dont.

But point taken, and if I continue to post, I will put my "Eddie Haskel" face on, and smile, and type like a good little catholic boy in school....or TRY to.

A lot of my response probably has to do with work this week.

A co-worker of mine was killed on the job Wednesday. I work with him quite often, as he is the crane operator and I am the 'bucket' man when we set traffic signal poles. He was replacing a ram on one of our dump trucks (alone, in the shop yard) and apparently while pulling the ram after unbolting it, something happened to the safety...and the bed came down onto his head and neck. I just hope he died instantly, cause nobody found him for over 2 hours. His body was on the outside of the frame, his neck and head were pinched between the frame and the bed. The truck bed is about 12 feet long and 6 feet wide....a 'lowboy' style.

So perhaps thats why im so 'touchy'..and perhaps not.....either way...Should I post, I will do my best to 'behave' to your 'standards'...

ohio03trdtaco
08-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Your right...I do have a problem with it...but thats just me. And Im fine with that....I guess since Mike Pm'ed me, I kinda went loose.

I just dont understand the difference between the wording of a curse word. You let others get away with a slight modification of a certain word (or words)...and deep down, everyone KNOWS what they are saying. Either EDIT the whole thing (misspelling curses also) or dont.

But point taken, and if I continue to post, I will put my "Eddie Haskel" face on, and smile, and type like a good little catholic boy in school....or TRY to.

A lot of my response probably has to do with work this week.

A co-worker of mine was killed on the job Wednesday. I work with him quite often, as he is the crane operator and I am the 'bucket' man when we set traffic signal poles. He was replacing a ram on one of our dump trucks (alone, in the shop yard) and apparently while pulling the ram after unbolting it, something happened to the safety...and the bed came down onto his head and neck. I just hope he died instantly, cause nobody found him for over 2 hours. His body was on the outside of the frame, his neck and head were pinched between the frame and the bed. The truck bed is about 12 feet long and 6 feet wide....a 'lowboy' style.

So perhaps thats why im so 'touchy'..and perhaps not.....either way...Should I post, I will do my best to 'behave' to your 'standards'...

Sorry to hear that about your co-worker. 2 years ago my uncle was kill while working under a tractor and it fell off the hoist and crushed him. At least it wasnít a accident with you in the bucket. I have heard of to many people getting hit on the side of the road and tossed out. I have had a couple close calls myself. I havn't lost a co-worker at work and hope I don't.

RedRunnertc
08-04-2006, 07:38 PM

Holy shit! Dude, that explains a lot - I'm sorry for your loss...

Was it locked out and the lock broke or what (or dont answer if you don't feel like talking about it)

Angry Andy
08-04-2006, 07:41 PM
otherwise it is like one uf us going over to the NorCal board and bitching about their rules.

NorCal follows the same 'rules' as the National board...

Basically, there are none, other then member bashing, vendor bashing, the ususal stuff.

Again, my feelings are, these "chapter" boards are SUBSETS of the National board....

Kinda like how government overrides state.

Like in CA, prop 215 allows medical marijuana use. But the governement still arrests people for using thier medicine.

But I do see your chapter's points...and if your chapter wants to portray themselves as 'better' then the rest of TTORA, I will abide by it.

And FWIW, Im NOT attacking any of you...I am merely stating one person's opinion. And since I am in YOUR chapter's forum, it is really a moot point....

OFRD_GRL
08-04-2006, 07:43 PM
At least it wasnít a accident with you in the bucket.
trust me.. i thanked god for that one.

Froggygirl
08-04-2006, 07:53 PM
I don't know what I would do if that happened to my honey! :(

RedRunnertc
08-04-2006, 07:54 PM
You mean where the party would be? :rofl:

ohio03trdtaco
08-04-2006, 07:55 PM
I don't know what I would do if that happened to my honey! :(

Enjoy my life insurance :dunno: Just throw me a big party.

RedRunnertc
08-04-2006, 07:58 PM
For the country boy - "Prop me up beside the jukebox" :rofl:

OFRD_GRL
08-04-2006, 08:02 PM
LMFAO...
whats wrong with country folk?

RedRunnertc
08-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Absolutely nothing - just people who don't listen to country music wouldn't get the reference...

OFRD_GRL
08-04-2006, 08:10 PM
ok just making sure.

99TanTaco
08-04-2006, 08:12 PM
NorCal follows the same 'rules' as the National board...

Basically, there are none, other then member bashing, vendor bashing, the ususal stuff.

Again, my feelings are, these "chapter" boards are SUBSETS of the National board....

Kinda like how government overrides state.

Like in CA, prop 215 allows medical marijuana use. But the governement still arrests people for using thier medicine.

But I do see your chapter's points...and if your chapter wants to portray themselves as 'better' then the rest of TTORA, I will abide by it.

And FWIW, Im NOT attacking any of you...I am merely stating one person's opinion. And since I am in YOUR chapter's forum, it is really a moot point....
I don't think we are trying to portray ourselves as better than any other chapters, my view when it was brought up was mainly for recruiting purposes. We are a very small chapter, we have less than a dozen of what I would consider active members, every official OH TTORA trailride it's always the same 4-5 people who show.

Therefore we need to make recruiting a priority so we need to give a good first impression to people looking to join. If someone (not knowing us) comes on here and finds us calling each other names or swearing constantly they may not realize we are kidding around or be offended and they will leave.

Like I said before an occassional "F bomb" or swear word doesn't really bother me as long as it is kept to a minimum or being used in the proper context, but I guess that there is a problem with that as well since that would be leaving every thing open to the interpretation of the mods. I could care less about the swearing rules as my view on it was only based on the the theory that it may be helpful for recruiting, it doesn't really bother me personally.

As for the OH TTORA "holding itself to a higher standard" comment you should take that up with the person who told you that. I probably would not have worded it that way as I can see how other chapters might take that as a slap in the face, but I assure you that was not my intention when I voiced my opinion

Sorry to hear about your co-worker